• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who really wanted Young?

AU-panther

20 hours ago, mav1234 said:

I think this is true, but debate between him and Stroud wasn't "a huge QB vs a tiny QB", it was "an average to slightly smaller-sized QB to a tiny QB."... I don't think Stroud's size was a concern (dude was pretty lanky and not that tall, but the NFL fixes some of that), but nor was it a plus (as AR's was). And the fear of OSU QBs was very strong... everyone pointed to the WRs.

I think it's easy to watch BY play in college and see how his movement and escapability could become a great asset.  He's actually shown glimpses of that already. But he's just so damn small, you have to wonder if he can succeed with his physical tools. Ultimately only so much of this game is mental...

I think it was also very easy to watch Young play in College and see how his movement and escapability wouldn't translate to the NFL. Which it hasn't. 

• Pie 2

18 hours ago, Green-Ghost said:

I wanted a winning team.  I am sure I am not alone.

I think people are mis judging college recruits.  They look at that shiny new college QB and think, “We must tank and get that shiny QB.”   However, I don’t think they understand the difference between the NCAA and the NFL.

I was a little bit concerned about Bryce Young because he played for a powerful Alabama team.  How much did Bryce contribute to making Alabama, a powerful team.  Alabama was a powerhouse before BY and may still be a powerhouse after BY.

the decision has been made and BY is the QB.  I wish I saw more posts asking, how can we make this work.  However, after just two games, I saw posts which read, “Let’s fire this person, lets loose the rest of the games so we can draft the next star College QB.”   How can you win if you are constantly tearing your favorite team apart?

My pet peeve is, there are tow many people who want to tank an get a perfect draft pick.  1st Tanking is cheating and dishonest.  2nd Any draft pick is not a sure bet.  However, if I was betting, who is the best QB, from that draft class, I would have chosen Bryce Young.

let’s keep the faith.

PS.  Does anyone think we should fire the Water person?

To me it was always a big red flag that the consensus #1 overall pick and Heisman winner never won a National Championship as a starter at Alabama - in an age where only Alabama, Georgia and Ohio St could realistically compete for one. 

That consistently got brushed over - in fact people spoke about his poor supporting cast in his Junior year. At Alabama. Nuts. 

I don't think there's much of a team to tear apart - we blood and guts'd our way to 7 wins last year, but that was about the ceiling of that roster. A new GM, given license, would obliterate this roster - there's very few 'good' NFL players on it and essentially no 'elite' ones. 

• Pie 2

18 hours ago, Varking said:

4-8. But when AR is in there he’s looked like a more confident passer than Bryce. He’s definitely flashed with some incredible wow throws in his short time playing. They should probably run him less going forward considering Moss and Taylor are both good. 

Well and considering the NFL is teeing off on him like they used to tee off on Newton.

Someone put it succinctly last week - Newton used to deliver punishment, Richardson receives it. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

Seeing how bad this coaching staff is we should’ve just rolled with Corral and he would’ve led us to Williams or Maye

Much like we should’ve never signed Teddy and we would’ve possibly landed Lawrence. Although I think we would’ve ended up with Wilson since the Jags only won 1 game that season 

If we landed Lawrence this fan base would have poo all over him for his rookie year. He went 3-14 had 12 tds and 17 ints with virtually the same weapons Bryce has now. He also started 0-5 with his 1st win coming in week 6 against who? IF you guessed the Dolphins you'd be correct! Maybe it's a sign that a major upset is on the horizon

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

If we landed Lawrence this fan base would have poo all over him for his rookie year. He went 3-14 had 12 tds and 17 ints with virtually the same weapons Bryce has now. He also started 0-5 with his 1st win coming in week 6 against who? IF you guessed the Dolphins you'd be correct! Maybe it's a sign that a major upset is on the horizon

lol. Remind me Sunday night

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, MechaZain said:

I agree but having a preference is not an unusual level of involvement for an owner with the #1 pick to me, let alone one whose team had gave up their biggest star to get there. It's certainly not the gun to Frank's head being depicted around here. If he went against own judgement to kiss the boss's ass that's his own damn fault. End of the day they all signed off on Bryce and have to own that.

100%

1 hour ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

If the Panthers somehow upset the Dolphins, it would top the App State vs. Michigan upset in 2007 because we don't even look like we belong in the same league

• Beer 1

Comparing Young to Lawrence and not seeing how poorly Young matches up to Lawrence is beyond hilarious. Maybe use someone in a closer skill set? Ohh but that would just prove the point of his lack of ability. This is a fun game and thanks for the laughs. 

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

Comparing Young to Lawrence and not seeing how poorly Young matches up to Lawrence is beyond hilarious. Maybe use someone in a closer skill set? Ohh but that would just prove the point of his lack of ability. This is a fun game and thanks for the laughs. 

It's terrifying, isn't it?

Rather than shooting for the moon with the 'massive' project in Richardson, or going the safe route with Stroud, they doubled down on Young's 'processor' being able to overcome his significant physical limitations... and now we hear they're dialling back what they ask him to do mentally.

Everybody is getting fired at the end of the season, imo. 

3 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I think it was also very easy to watch Young play in College and see how his movement and escapability wouldn't translate to the NFL. Which it hasn't. 

Agreed. I was listening to someone's stream or live on day and they said that they pretty much see bryce as a smarter smaller johhny manziel in college. And i had to agree with that when i really thought about it. 

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

It's terrifying, isn't it?

Rather than shooting for the moon with the 'massive' project in Richardson, or going the safe route with Stroud, they doubled down on Young's 'processor' being able to overcome his significant physical limitations... and now we hear they're dialling back what they ask him to do mentally.

Everybody is getting fired at the end of the season, imo. 

His mental ability was supposed to carry him but now that is in doubt too? 

It's a bad situation but it's been brought up here multiple times that his part in it isn't great either. Yes he is a rookie but he is also showing so little. I have zero issues with hope but ignoring that stuff and comparing him to Brees or Rodgers or Lawrence is just ayahuasca level tripping. He can't even compare to Stroud well for fugs sake. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Yep every high drafted QB who has a bad rookie season is given the “well Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions his rookie year” pass

Peyton also threw for over 300 yards in 2 of his first 4 games because he was actually throwing the damn ball downfield. There’s a massive difference there. 

We hear this excuse all the time. Heard it for Sam Darnold. Zach Wilson. Bryce hasn’t sniffed 300 yards yet. The 3 touchdown game was nice. But until they open it up and we start seeing him get aggressive he’s looking more like those other guys than Manning/Lawrence 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

39 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yep every high drafted QB who has a bad rookie season is given the “well Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions his rookie year” pass

Peyton also threw for over 300 yards in 2 of his first 4 games because he was actually throwing the damn ball downfield. There’s a massive difference there. 

We hear this excuse all the time. Heard it for Sam Darnold. Zach Wilson. Bryce hasn’t sniffed 300 yards yet. The 3 touchdown game was nice. But until they open it up and we start seeing him get aggressive he’s looking more like those other guys than Manning/Lawrence 

I went and watched the long video of Manning's rookie year wondering if I was being too harsh on Bryce, all of the TDs and Ints. He was slinging it and also he was reading the line, that was a rookie that made me say holy crap this guy is going to be a baller. Lots of mistakes but right back out there slinging it. It wasn't close to what we have seen from Bryce on any level. 

I think you hit the nail on the head. Same noise and same product but this time it will be different...I just don't believe that and he hasn't done a thing to change my mind. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 3