• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pre-deadline Trade Candidates

Mr. Scot

From NFL.com...

Notable players who could or should be traded before the deadline

Burns is mentioned along with Chinn (which I can understand) and Frankie Luvu (which would shock me) as players The Panthers could potentially trade away.

Other team options I find interesting:

Danielle Hunter

Realistically, about the only way this likely happens is a straight up swap with Brian Burns. That deal only makes sense though if you think Hunter can be had for a more reasonable contract than Burns. He's arguably better, but also older, so it's debatable whether this makes sense.

As far as pass rushers, Frank Clark is also mentioned as a candidate to be shipped out of Denver, but I'm not that interested in him. Carl Lawson and Chase Young are named as possibilities also.

Garrett Bolles

If you're one of the people who believes that Ickey Ekwonu would function better at guard, then getting a solid pass blocking left tackle makes sense. It's also pretty clear Bolles wants out of Denver, but the question there would be what they'd want in return.

For the record, I'm not of the mind that Ekwonu needs to be moved to guard, but If the team insists on sticking with their current blocking scheme, It might become something to think about.

Wide Receivers

Several names are mentioned here including Cortland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy, Mecole Hardman, Hunter Renfrow, Marquise Brown, Darnell Mooney,  Kendrick Bourne and Juju Smith-Schuster. Most believe the Panthers are looking for a number one type deep threat, but I'd suggest someone with speed and reliable hands doesn't necessarily need to be a deep threat if they can catch short passes and tile up RAC yards like a typical WCO receiver would.

There is also one tight end listed, Hunter Henry. Don't know that the Panthers are in the market for someone like that but I include his name here because it's at least possible.

One final note: I know general speculation has been that the Panthers are in the trade market for at least a receiver, but I've also seen that report disputed by reliable sources. I know Dan Morgan had mentioned a while back that the team isn't really looking to trade away draft picks right now. Has that changed? Unknown.

• Pie 4

I think Sutton would be an attractive target if only because he's on a 2-year deal but has no more guaranteed money left on his contract following this season. Essentially just picking up his remaining salary and per game roster bonuses and then if we decide he's not worth it, can get out of it fairly easily. Maybe send Marshall offer a swap mid-round picks (4th for a 5th or something like that)?

1 minute ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I think Sutton would be an attractive target if only because he's on a 2-year deal but has no more guaranteed money left on his contract following this season. Essentially just picking up his remaining salary and per game roster bonuses and then if we decide he's not worth it, can get out of it fairly easily. Maybe send Marshall offer a swap mid-round picks (4th for a 5th or something like that)?

I think lower level trades like that are probably more likely than high profile ones.

But again, it's uncertain whether or not the Panthers are looking to trade at all.

1 minute ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Sutton is interesting, he was looking like a true #1 WR before that injury. I think he's a #2 moving forward. Wouldn't mind Sutton or Jeudy tbh.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think lower level trades like that are probably more likely than high profile ones.

But again, it's uncertain whether or not the Panthers are looking to trade at all.

I think they are looking to trade but dont want people to think they are looking to trade so as not to seem desperate, which they clearly are and have been for some time.

Its some real 007 type subterfuge from Big Tepp.

• The D 1

More info from league insider Diana Rossini in The Athletic...

Trade talk

Three deals went down within a two-day period late this week with Randy Gregory to the 49ers, Chase Claypool to the Dolphins and J.C. Jackson to the Patriots. All were disgruntled players looking for new homes, with minimal compensation needed to acquire them.

With a little more than three weeks left before the league’s Oct. 31 trade deadline, teams that believe they are contenders may want to add talent, and those who are not in contention may want to add draft capital. After discussions with league sources, here’s some early talk:

• The Raiders have been busy making calls around the league looking for a pass rusher since releasing Chandler Jones. They are looking for a player-for-player swap and may not want to give up too much.

• Carolina has been calling around about a wide receiver and other positions. The Panthers hinted to other teams that they are not interested in trading away players for draft picks.

• The Texans have received calls from teams looking for a veteran quarterback, but I was told Case Keenum is not available because Houston relies on his experience and veteran leadership in its quarterback room.

• For now, I’m told the Broncos are not looking to move any offensive players. This is despite receivers Jerry Jeudy and Courtland Sutton drawing trade interest in the offseason.

Link