• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Bandwagon, Deep Throws

RumHam

41 minutes ago, Eric4280 said:

“I’m accepting he’s here but I low key can’t wait to make these threads 2.5 seconds after the game and clamor about how awesome Stroud is, but don’t worry I still support our guy wink wink”.

How many mentions of Stroud were in this thread before yours?

6 minutes ago, Eric4280 said:

Frankly funny that you’re were the first to respond haha. You know where you lie internally. Every thread is the same. It’s all the same bickering concern.

Frankly ridiculous that YOU brought him up before anyone else did and cried about it. Nobody else mentioned him. Don’t be the meme where you throw the stick into your bicycle wheel, crash because of it and then blame it on anything other than yourself. 

10 minutes ago, Eric4280 said:

Frankly funny that you’re were the first to respond haha. You know where you lie internally. Every thread is the same. It’s all the same bickering concern.

@Varking wanted Stroud, but he has been pretty optimistic about Young. I mean what do you want him to do shun the player we should have drafted?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Just now, ForJimmy said:

@Varking wanted Stroud, but he has been pretty optimistic about Young. I mean what do you want him to do shun the player we should have drafted?

I’ve attempted to back off from bringing up Stroud before others do. I’m trying to balance being critical of things I see from Bryce I don’t like while also acknowledging the progress he’s made. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Varking said:

I’ve attempted to back off from bringing up Stroud before others do. I’m trying to balance being critical of things I see from Bryce I don’t like while also acknowledging the progress he’s made. 

I’m amazed at Stroud’s transition to the NFL, disappointed we didn’t draft him, but still see potential in Young. Should we have traded what we did for Young? Probably not, but we can hopefully walk away from this with a good QB for many years to come.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, SCO96 said:

I've been saying this all season. All of those guys from the same coaching tree (McVey, Shannahan, McDaniels, LaFleuer, etc ) call rollout/bootleg plays several times a game and they often result in big plays down the field. 

Our current playbook apparently puts little emphasis on those types of plays.

Successful deep passing requires time. Our pass blocking isn't holding up most of the time. If Carolina plans to ride with Bryce, they're going to haver to build a wall of pass blocking lineman in front of him. Even the 2nd string guys will have to above average pass blockers. The interior has to be solidified so he can step up when he's passing from the pocket. 

The rollout/bootleg thing is something the Panthers have rarely done a lot of regardless of who was coach and QB. Having above average pass blockers is something else the Panthers have rarely done over the years.

The Panthers have always been behind well behind league trends when it comes to offense and that hasn't changed. It's almost like the NFL decided the Panthers would be a run first, defensive team and haven't allowed them to change at all since that script was written when Richardson got the team.

• Flames 1

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m amazed at Stroud’s transition to the NFL, disappointed we didn’t draft him, but still see potential in Young. Should we have traded what we did for Young? Probably not, but we can hopefully walk away from this with a good QB for many years to come.

I don't think any of the rookies would have transitioned to the NFL well on this team and people would still be complaining about the QB being the wrong pick regardless. This team just has way too many issues from top to bottom.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

Drew Brees!

You want his?  First 2 seasons as a starter his average was 6.2 and 5.9 17 TDs 16 INTs then 11 TDs 15 Ints.  He did have longs of 52 and 68 though.  He finished his career with 7.6 and a 98 long! Sounds like he was able to air it out some but must have thrown even more dinks and dunks to average it back down early in his career.  

30 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

And to be clear, I see progress from Young. And I’ve never been upset we picked him at #1 overall. He was who most folks had as the top rated QB in the draft. I don’t fault the team for picking him. The only issue I have at all with the move was choosing DJ Moore in the trade package vs giving up more picks or trading Brown or Burns. When you are drafting a QB at 1, you should sell out to get him as much help as possible. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You want his?  First 2 seasons as a starter his average was 6.2 and 5.9 17 TDs 16 INTs then 11 TDs 15 Ints.  He did have longs of 52 and 68 though.  He finished his career with 7.6 and a 98 long! Sounds like he was able to air it out some but must have thrown even more dinks and dunks to average it back down early in his career.  

I couldn't resist a little ribbing.

In all seriousness though. Drew turned a corner into the most accurate QB in NFL history. I think for the moment I'm good on drawing comparisons between our QB and any hall of famer. We've already put heavy expectations upon Young. I mean the kid was compared to athletes in different sports like Curry and Jordan ahead of the draft. The hype reached a level of lunacy I've only seen a few times with other QB's over the years. But it's time we be realistic. I just want him to become a franchise QB at this point and start connecting on the deep ball.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Tyreek Hill was in Miami last year when Mahomes led the league in both 20+ yard and 40+ yard completions.

Thought we were discussing proving the ability to throw the deep ball early in a career. Obviously, once a QB proves it, then every DC in the league will see it and respect it. Bryce hasn’t yet, but there are many contributing factors for the delay.