• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much smarter is the GM then the fans

TheBigKat

47 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's wild how the narrative has shifted. It went from Bryce being one of the most polished, NFL ready QB prospects ever to him being some type of project. A 5'10" buck eighty soaking wet dude with no outstanding physical traits does not go #1 overall unless everything else is deemed basically perfect. All the experts got it wrong. They loved the kid, they loved the idea of this brilliant football savant carving up the league despite obvious physical limitations. But they significantly overrated both his physical and mental talent IMO and that seems obvious at this point.

And anyone that disagreed had some kind of bias and was completely unable to evaluate talent. 

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

And anyone that disagreed had some kind of bias and was completely unable to evaluate talent. 

Oh, I remember. I got attacked for simply pointing out his marginal physical talent while still saying I was okay with drafting him. Because at the end of the day if all these experts think he's just THAT great mentally then surely they're not all wrong. Oops

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh, I remember. I got attacked for simply pointing out his marginal physical talent while still saying I was okay with drafting him. Because at the end of the day if all these experts think he's just THAT great mentally then surely they're not all wrong. Oops

The best was (and it still happens occasionally) was when we questioned his arm strength we got the Jamison video of him being 10 yards behind the defender and he has to slow down for the td catch and that was supposed to be proof that young has a nfl arm

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

I highly suspect Ewers & Sanders are going to return to school.  They're gonna be the talk IF Bryce is not looking the part in 2024.  

Sanders, Ewers, Daniels (Kansas), Allar (only 2nd year), I would expect Ward returns as well, Rising said he is returning (not a high pick anyway).  Just off the top of my head it could be a decent class...

I think regular people have a much keener sense of drafting than some want to give credit for. Say what you want about fantasy football, but one thing it's taught me is to read to flows of drafts and be able to track trends in what player values typically fall where. For example, the likelihood of finding a WR who can contribute year 1 is much higher in later rounds than an edge rusher. Late round and UDFA rbs are becoming much more plug and play instead of needing to spend that high pick, CMC, Barkley, Bijan, Gibbs. 

So yeah, regular folks may not have the expertise to deal with a lot of the other issues, evaluating talent, tendencies, flow, and value isn't something that should be just written off so easily as they're just fans, they couldn't possibly know anything. 

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

I’m not going to go through all the rounds but most people scoff at how GMs are SOOOOO much smarter than fans but are they really? 

Let’s look at some key Fitterer picks / signings

2021- Horn, the consensus on here was Micah Parsons. One has the durability of Swiss cheese, the other is a transcendent LB of this current era

2022- Ekwonu- I think the board was in consensus for this pick, just not playing the right position

2023- Young- the consensus was Stroud

trading CMC- I think both fans and GM in agreement

Burns- almost everyone on this board was in agreement on trading Burns, that never happened

resigning Bozeman- board and GM in agreement

resigning Thomas- nobody on this board thought resigning Ian Thomas was a good idea

signing Sanders- board was 50/50 on this, I personally didn’t like the contract given to Sanders

all I’m saying is Scott Fitterer isn’t that savant that’s way better then what some of the elders on this board could do if they were GM of the Panthers

Love this.  Personally I wanted Fields in 2021 but in hindsight damn Parsons was the pick.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I agree.  That's hindsight kicking in.  There was the corner debate of Horn vs Surtain and outside of that squabble, Fields probably had the biggest following behind him in real time.  Taking a swing at the QB  but a lot couldn't get on board after the front office signed Sam Darnold. 

there was a little Parson talk but it was small and largely squashed with needing to move on from the classic Hurney LB/RB play.  But largely acknowledged to be the safest play.   

I remember a big Fields vs Slater debate.  I wanted Fields, but yeah Slater would have been the best choice IMO.  Parsons didn't play that COVID year so I don't think he was as hot of a topic as people are remembering.  

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I remember a big Fields vs Slater debate.  I wanted Fields, but yeah Slater would have been the best choice IMO.  Parsons didn't play that COVID year so I don't think he was as hot of a topic as people are remembering.  

He was an absolute beast pre covid.  I really dont understand why he "fell".   He goes #2 in a redraft.  Might be worth digging up the old threads to see what the knock on him was because he was a damn animal in 2019 as a true soph

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He was an absolute beast pre covid.  I really dont understand why he "fell".   He goes #2 in a redraft.  Might be worth digging up the old threads to see what the knock on him was because he was a damn animal in 2019 as a true soph

I think as @CRA stated we didn't want anther top 10 pick used on a linebacker.  I don't think it was realized how good of a pass rusher he could be and has become.  We also had Burns and needed a LT, QB. CB, and probably a lot more...

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/micah-parsons/32005041-5275-3418-9a2d-9826287ee445

NFL comparison there is Myles Jack who is more of the traditional MLB type of player vs pass rusher.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yes they are.

Fans on here might have info about five to ten guys they like because they've seen highlights of them. GM's have to have info on hundreds.

They also have to be able to look beyond the highlights and attempt to project things like character, medical, etc. and not just in the first round, but all the way down to the seventh and undrafted players.

Fans on a message board thinking they could do better just because they picked a certain guy in hindsight are roughly equivalent to the people who think they could coach an NFL game because they won a Super Bowl in Madden.

Again, not just any random fan off a message board. But there are fans out there who are knowledgeable enough to do better than some GMs.

I think they'd need someone to help with the salary cap side of things and maybe with the actual negotiations until they gained some experience, but in terms of deciding what players to bring in, draft and trade for I have no doubt there are fans who could do a better job then many GMs.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think as @CRA stated we didn't want anther top 10 pick used on a linebacker.  I don't think it was realized how good of a pass rusher he could be and has become.  We also had Burns and needed a LT, QB. CB, and probably a lot more...

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/micah-parsons/32005041-5275-3418-9a2d-9826287ee445

NFL comparison there is Myles Jack who is more of the traditional MLB type of player vs pass rusher.  

I don't recall a lot of buzz regarding Parsons as a pass rusher. He was viewed as an off-ball linebacker.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Really?  I may be wrong but that's definitely not my recollection of the consensus for the 2021 draft lol.  I remember most people being opposed to drafting a LB in the Top 10 because they saw Micah Parsons as an off-the-ball linebacker, not the elite pass-rusher he is today.  I don't know that there was a "consensus" Huddle crush for the 2021 draft, but if anything, the plurality seemed to be gunning for Justin Fields which would have also been a bad pick in hindsight.  There were definitely some who wanted Parsons, but it was a small minority from what I remember.

Picking Fields would have left us in a much better situation than we are in now though. One 1st for a bust is better than 2 1st, 1 2nd and DJ for a bust.