• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kurt Warner's Breakdown of BY(P.U) during the Bears Game

SaltAndPepper

54 minutes ago, SaltAndPepper said:

Thought this was an interesting breakdown and I wasn't sure if it was shared already...

It is a very fair look.

Warner is pretty spot on with the pocket tendencies and what can be improved on.  From the lack of depth in his drop, to the toe bouncing, feet being parallel to the LOS, overall footwork, timing. 

16:58 play is a very clear example of what many of us some may think are being overly hard on Bryce are seeing.  Improvement needed.  

22:30 -- the good.  So he can set his feet properly, his gun tendencies are correctable.

From Warner himself: "One of the things giving him the most problems is his technique"

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

It is a very fair look.

Warner is pretty spot on with the pocket tendencies and what can be improved on.  From the lack of depth in his drop, to the toe bouncing, feet being parallel to the LOS, overall footwork, timing. 

16:58 play is a very clear example of what many of us some may think are being overly hard on Bryce are seeing.  Improvement needed.  

From Warner himself: "One of the things giving him the most problems is his technique"

he didnt see 81 in that play, thats a problem along with this horrible mechanics and stupid 4 year old bouncing energy

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 3

We seem to end up back at footwork often. Some of that can be forgiven since the OL is in such a state of disarray. But some of it is also just who Bryce Young is and had been at Alabama. His pocket tendencies and habits were created out of necessity due to his limitations we knew full well about.

When we get the OL in better condition he's going to have to begin succeeding in traditional from center plays. This over reliance on shotgun has to go.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

We seem to end up back at footwork often. Some of that can be forgiven since the OL is in such a state of disarray. But some of it is also just who Bryce Young is and had been at Alabama. His pocket tendencies and habits were created out of necessity due to his limitations we knew full well about.

When we get the OL in better condition he's going to have to begin succeeding in traditional from center plays. This over reliance on shotgun has to go.

Thing is, the guys people look to compare (Brees, Kyler and Wilson) have more traditional drops in shotgun.   I can't find a comparison of someone who does this parallel step "jog" back like they're some DB.  It's so unconventional but he's been doing it in college, and continues in the pros.  

It worked at Bama, but it doesn't work at this level unless conditions are ideal.  

• Beer 1

I actually watched part of this video this morning before you posted it. I was even tempted to provide a link as well. I didn't get a chance to finish it, but what I watched was enough to show that BY isn't entirely to blame for all of Carolina's offensive problems.

What concerns me is the fact that Kurt Warner, several You Tubers, and even people on our forum can see the problems that should be obvious to our "all star coaching staff". I don't think he'll ever be CJ Stroud, but I know Bryce can perform better than he is now. He needs better coaching and a scheme that will maximize his talents.

34 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I actually watched part of this video this morning before you posted it. I was even tempted to provide a link as well. I didn't get a chance to finish it, but what I watched was enough to show that BY isn't entirely to blame for all of Carolina's offensive problems.

What concerns me is the fact that Kurt Warner, several You Tubers, and even people on our forum can see the problems that should be obvious to our "all star coaching staff". I don't think he'll ever be CJ Stroud, but I know Bryce can perform better than he is now. He needs better coaching and a scheme that will maximize his talents.

At the end of the day, they're correctable issues and he's shown he can be aight.  

But it is absolutely concerning that Reich, Campbell, & McNown, who were part of the scouting process, and have seen Bryce throughout the summer, leading into the new season, and haven't really honed in and helped refine his pocket work.  

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

At the end of the day, they're correctable issues and he's shown he can be aight.  

But it is absolutely concerning that Reich, Campbell, & McNown, who were part of the scouting process, and have seen Bryce throughout the summer, leading into the new season, and haven't really honed in and helped refine his pocket work.  

Serious question, if a rookie QB is struggling as is, would you go and change up everything that he's comfortable with?  I mean, if he his performance looks this concerning doing the things he's in 'his zone' doing, could you imagine him having to think about not bouncing, proper drop backs, proper depths of his drop backs, correct feet alignment and getting set prior to identifying his targets?

Dude would be sacked every passing down because his head would be swimming.

My question is …. Why hasn’t McCown been working with Bryce about his speed in the pocket and his footwork. All videos I watch, everyone talks about his speed of the drop back, and his feet not ready to throw.

Bryce needs to understand this is not Alabama, it’s like he is waiting for a bigger play. First read is open, throw and move on.

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Serious question, if a rookie QB is struggling as is, would you go and change up everything that he's comfortable with?  I mean, if he his performance looks this concerning doing the things he's in 'his zone' doing, could you imagine him having to think about not bouncing, proper drop backs, proper depths of his drop backs, correct feet alignment and getting set prior to identifying his targets?

Dude would be sacked every passing down because his head would be swimming.

At this point in the season you may be right. This should have been addressed in the preseason during the OTA’s and training camp. No QB should be throwing with his feet side by side. He won’t be able to properly push the ball downfield. A QB should be ready to throw at the top of his dropback and have a receiver ready to catch the ball. Bryce is often ready to throw before the receivers are into their breaks. If his drop back was a little deeper he’d probably be able to find an open receiver more often. The timing of the offense, his mechanics, and the poor O-line play are fixable issues. Question I, do we have guys on staff to address these things or is Tepper willing to make the changes necessary to help BY develop his game?

4 minutes ago, Panther53521 said:

My question is …. Why hasn’t McCown been working with Bryce about his speed in the pocket and his footwork. All videos I watch, everyone talks about his speed of the drop back, and his feet not ready to throw.

Bryce needs to understand this is not Alabama, it’s like he is waiting for a bigger play. First read is open, throw and move on.

This was obviously known by the coaches, but I remember one of them saying they wanted to keep what worked for him at bama. Not to put too much in his plate at first. This toe bounce to see over the line was what they were primarily talking about.

2 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

At this point in the season you may be right. This should have been addressed in the preseason during the OTA’s and training camp. No QB should be throwing with his feet side by side. He won’t be able to properly push the ball downfield. A QB should be ready to throw at the top of his dropback and have a receiver ready to catch the ball. Bryce is often ready to throw before the receivers are into their breaks. If his drop back was a little deeper he’d probably be able to find an open receiver more often. The timing of the offense, his mechanics, and the poor O-line play are fixable issues. Question I, do we have guys on staff to address these things or is Tepper willing to make the changes necessary to help BY develop his game?

It actually should have been addressed at 'Bama. He's so far along with this habit it will be hard to correct.  It would HAVE to be done in the offseason, but even then, the results may be disappointing.  Remember, they tried to correct Cam's footwork and he tired it for a while before going back to what he was comfortable doing.