• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Serious question: what HC candidate in their right mind would want to come here?

t96

We tried hiring a college coach and we just fired a retread. Roll the dice on an up and coming NFL coordinator like we should have done all along and be done with it. There will be options regardless of the curret volatility of the franchise. That's the only path forward.

• Pie 3

I disagree with this. HC jobs are hard enough to come by that there will always be interested candidates. There are more aspiring head coaches than openings 100% of the time.

The trick is finding the right guy. The hot candidates aren't always the best candidates. Plus Tepper has deep pockets, so I'm sure if he really wants someone he can pay them what it takes to get them to sign.

The larger issue is GM. Ideally we should fire Fitterer ASAP and use the rest of the season to find his replacement, then get his input on who the next coach should be.

Generally speaking it's actually harder to find a quality GM than a quality HC.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

We should have kept Wilks. I get that he's had a so so year in SF. But there is something to be said about having momentum and he had it with us. One JC Horn game away from the playoffs, hometown coach, players loved him. He earned the job and Tepper fuged him because he thought he knew better. 

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's what I said. Our options will include all the folks who don't have other NFL HC opportunities.

I'm considering applying. It'd be cool to get a meatball dinner out of the deal.

I think we’ll have more candidates. There aren’t that many options out there. Before this year people were saying Brown and Evero will have HC jobs soon and there’s Ben Johnson. Do you think all 3 will have multiple picks of their choosing and that there are no more good coordinators available?

I still have no faith in the hiring choice but we will have plenty, Tepper or not.

Stupid mistake, no up and coming candidate is going to risk their potentially one chance at a HC opportunity on Bruce and this roster 

Our only options will be coaches nobody else wants to hire as a HC, anyone with legit future HC chances will turn it down and wait, because they know most HC’s only get one shot at it.

Just set this franchise back a few more years with this decision, so so dumb

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Stupid mistake, no up and coming candidate is going to risk their potentially one chance at a HC opportunity on Bruce and this roster 

Our only options will be coaches nobody else wants to hire as a HC, anyone with legit future HC chances will turn it down and wait, because they know most HC’s only get one shot at it.

Just set this franchise back a few more years with this decision, so so dumb

It was already set back. Keeping Reich would have been so dumb. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan
  • Pie 1

18 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

There's no excuse to be 1-10 even as a new HC. He was touted to have all this experience, not to mention all of the "great" coaches who came along with him. 

To me it just tells you how much NFL coaching runs on the buddy system.

Right. There's no reason to expect sufficient growth by keeping frank around. He already assembled to bring his all star staff together and these are the results.

The reality is, if you're worse than the guy who was fired last year and worse than the interim then you gotta go.

And if it's true Frank didn't want Bryce, but went along with the ride despite knowing he couldn't make it work with him the. He needs to be fired for that too.

This was the right decision and won't harm our outlook on getting a good coach.

If anything will harm that, it's the roster.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

Carolina will have their pick of coaches.  Maybe it's not Johnson (although he's #1, #1A, and #1B) but plenty of coaches will interview.

Remember Jonathon Jones saying that "sharks" were circling that were interested in the Panthers job? 

Yup, still a lot of NFL coaches that love Bryce even we don't.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You're seriously going to defend David Tepper?

Have fun with that one 🙄

You don’t read much when a post doesn’t say what you interpret.

Should Tepper have told people in the building before Frank?

The first tweet had an interim coach and Caldwell’s new role in it. Do you think Tepper went to the media first about the firing or do you think Frank texted his media friends to say he was let go? Seems like he went right from Frank to the other coaches to me.

All you can retort is that I’m defending Tepper and that’s not correct. I was saying you again were wrong in your backing of Fitterer and then Reich. I also said Tepper has done a terrible job at hiring. I and many others wanted Fitterer gone with Rhule. We were right and you were wrong. It happens man. I’m just not throwing Tepper under the bus when the media just wants to roast him instead of Reich who was terrible.

Feel free to tell me how you would have handled the firing differently and how you know Tepper told the media first, which I know you won’t do because you can’t just say Tepper sucks.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Call Me James said:

Yup, still a lot of NFL coaches that love Bryce even we don't.

Bryce can work in a lot of modern NFL offenses.  Plenty of coaches know that he has tools.   He clearly needs work as well.

I think lots of coaches aren't going to turned off by the situation.  The only thing they won't like is not having a first round pick.

Almost every new HC goes to a bad situations because their previous coach was fired for a reason.  This isn't anything new.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1