• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ben Johnson for HC or bust

jamos14

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

I assume he knows full well the odds of interim coaches succeeding in the NFL. He will get a legitimate shot sooner or later.

Yes, absolutely.  He has a better shot of being a HC by just being a great DC than taking an interim spot.

He deserves a shot now, he has done wonders with our defense considering the personnel sucks and the injuries have been bad.  But not here.  We need to spend every resource developing Bryce (and I know you don't like him or think he can succeed) but he is here for at least 3 more years.  

2 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Ben Johnson will for sure take the Chargers job, which I feel confident is going to be open in the offseason.  An offensive guy like him inheriting those weapons will make him salivate.

Now I don't disagree with that.   That's the best job by far.   Best hope is Staley  turns things around.

They are a tier above everybody else. 

I don't think Carolina is any different from Washington/NE/Raiders except they have a first round pick and we don't.

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Bring wilks back for a year

Wilks not coming back here lol.

Also Ben Johnson you guys do know there will be way better jobs available than just us. He's probably the hottest candidate he will go to a good situation. Chargers makes sense for him.

It's Jim Harbaugh or bust at this point. You need a alpha HC point blank.

10 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

Yes, absolutely.  He has a better shot of being a HC by just being a great DC than taking an interim spot.

He deserves a shot now, he has done wonders with our defense considering the personnel sucks and the injuries have been bad.  But not here.  We need to spend every resource developing Bryce (and I know you don't like him or think he can succeed) but he is here for at least 3 more years.  

I agree with you about Evero. Our defense has performed better than I thought they would all things considered.

I'm going to make this as clear as possible because while I admit I do partake in the occasional shitposting I do like Bryce Young just fine as a person. He's a good kid and easy to root for. But unfortunately that isn't enough to be a franchise QB. Look at Sam Darnold. One of the nicest guys anyone could meet no one with a bad word to say about him. All the physical tools too. Still not a franchise QB.

My question about Bryce has nothing to do with the mental aspects I know people have piled on about the processing thanks to our idiotic decision makers putting an absurd level of hype on the kid in that area that was unrealistic from the jump. But I think that can be worked on and he can certainly clean up the footwork. The question is can he physically win at this level. If you don't want to hear it so be it but that's a question that is going to be asked frequently over the next several months.

It's basically a guarantee Bryce will get the opportunity next season to showcase what he's learned and changed with a new offseason under his belt and hopefully an improved staff. But he's still going to be the same QB physically and those limitations aren't going anywhere. All we can do is hope to maximize what he does best. In the meantime down the line I think drafting a QB in 2025 still has to be under heavy consideration. That's for what's best for the team. At the end of the day that's what it's about. What's best for the team.

Edited by frankw

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

But I think that can be worked on and he can certainly clean up the footwork. The question is can he physically win at this level. 

But he's still going to be the same QB physically and those limitations aren't going anywhere.

All we can do is hope to maximize what he does best.

100%.  There is plenty of things that he can do well to succeed in the NFL with a modern scheme and playmakers around.

We need a coach that agrees and develops the best plan for that.    And, yea, if next season he hasn't shown significant growth then a new QB is on the table.  

1 hour ago, jamos14 said:

I disagree with anybody thinking that Carolina is going to struggle having candidates interview.  It's the NFL.   These guys are competitive and think they can turn it around.  

I think it actually speaks to growth that Tepper swallowed his ego and admitted he made a bad hire.  Tepper needs to fire Fitterer too and bring in a tandem that are aligned.    

But Johnson is who I want us to spend every penny we can on.    Would love Evero with him but I think that's a pipe dream.

Exactly. Theres only 32 HC jobs in the NFL and only a handful of openings a year. If one opens up  somewhere, all candidates will jump on it. Johnson is who I wanted in the offseason after Steichen. 

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Johnson is going to end up getting the Chargers job, he’s 37 and has a long HC career ahead of him, no amount of money Tepper can offer him is going to get him to risk that career on Bryce

We can all hope.  At least he is one name that would re-unite the fan base.