• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person breaks down the current landscape

Mr. Scot

Excerpts:

Reich’s firing represents a colossal miss by Tepper, whose hands-on style and quick-trigger history of canning coaches and executives demand a thorough self-examination before he botches another hire.

Tepper again is expected to focus his search on an offensive-minded coach with the hopes of coaxing more out of Young than Reich and his staff did. The Panthers traded their 2024 first-round pick, two second-round selections and wide receiver DJ Moore to acquire the No. 1 pick from Chicago to take Young, the 2021 Heisman Trophy winner from Alabama who has ranked among the league’s worst passers statistically all season.

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson was Tepper’s top target last winter before the Asheville, N.C., native and former North Carolina quarterback removed himself from consideration. Tepper should go after Johnson again, though Johnson will attract other interest and it’s fair to suggest the Panthers’ job is less appealing than it was a year ago.

Tepper could go big-game hunting for Bill Belichick, Jim Harbaugh or Sean McVay, whom the Panthers would have to trade for. He should also take a long look at Houston Texans offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik, who’s helped guide C.J. Stroud to one of the best seasons ever by a rookie quarterback.

Besides the millions Tepper will offer the next coach — not an insignificant consideration — he might have trouble convincing anyone to work for him.

The Athletic was among the outlets that called for Tepper to hire Wilks, who earned the respect of the locker room with his honest approach and established a physical identity with a tough defense and downhill rushing attack. The Panthers went 6-6 under Wilks, now the San Francisco 49ers’ defensive coordinator.

But Tepper was locked in on an offensive coach: Seven of the nine candidates came from that side of the ball. Just as importantly, Tepper wanted the anti-Matt Rhule, a college coach who didn’t connect with professional players. Where Rhule and the bulk of his staff lacked NFL chops, Reich had decades of experience as a player and coach in the league.

Tepper said in January he made a mistake in hiring a CEO-type head coach in Rhule, adding: “You want to get somebody who’s really good on offense or really good on defense. And we think that Frank is really good on offense.”

But hiring an offensive coordinator Reich had never worked with — and then merging the Rams’ concepts Brown brought from L.A. with Reich’s system — was ill-conceived. Injuries to starting guards Austin Corbett and Brady Christensen didn’t help, as opponents disrupted the 5-foot-10 Young’s timing and downfield vision with interior pressure.

Now Tepper gets another chance to try to make things right. His history suggests that will be easier said than done. Much.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

Been a fan for 15 years and this is the worst I’ve ever felt about the team. Actually turned off the game yesterday and didn’t care. I actually miss being pissed off by the team but now it’s just apathy. Unless Tepper had an about face and stops involving himself to the degree he has, we’re fuged. 

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

It was still an incredibly deserving firing, the team has been straight up unwatchable. That's on Reich, period. 

Who he hires next and how? No idea, I would consider pulling someone from the Dolphins staff on the offensive side however. I'm not going to do any homework on this for a while because he never freaking hires the guys I want, who then go on to be successful elsewhere (Sirianni, Steichen). 

4 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Off the cuff here's my list, criteria being a young innovative offensive mind:

1. Ben Johnson

2. Frank Smith

3. Bobby Slowik

If none of the 3 above are interested, I'd give Bienemy his first shot as a HC.

They have to want to come here though.

Mentioned elsewhere, for young guys a lot of the time their first shot is their only shot.

If I'm a young, up and coming coach with options, do I want to hitch my wagon to David Tepper?

The only way I see this working itself out and us landing Johnson or a similar candidate is if the conversation goes something along the lines of

• Bryce gets '24 to show what he's got, if not any better, top pick in '25 will be QB of their choice
  • Full rebuild mode next year with expectations made clear that they are trying to amass as much capital as possible from current roster
  • Tepper has to agree to be hands off 
  • A blank check where they can write down the amount they want to do this
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

They have to want to come here though.

Mentioned elsewhere, for young guys a lot of the time their first shot is their only shot.

If I'm a young, up and coming coach with options, do I want to hitch my wagon to David Tepper?

The Texans fired a HC after one season in back to back years and still landed one of the hottest coaching candidates in DeMeco Ryans. Yes, I know he has history with the franchise; reports last year were that Ben Johnson as an NC native grew up a Panthers fan, so you could see a similar pull. And at the end of the day, money talks. I actually think a first time coach stepping into this situation is in a great position - if you fail and get fired, everyone will give you the benefit of the doubt saying that no one can win here with Tepper as the owner, but if you succeed,  you get all the glory.

• Beer 1

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

The Texans fired a HC after one season in back to back years and still landed one of the hottest coaching candidates in DeMeco Ryans. Yes, I know he has history with the franchise; reports last year were that Ben Johnson as an NC native grew up a Panthers fan, so you could see a similar pull. And at the end of the day, money talks. I actually think a first time coach stepping into this situation is in a great position - if you fail and get fired, everyone will give you the benefit of the doubt saying that no one can win here with Tepper as the owner, but if you succeed,  you get all the glory.

Yeah, sorry but that's a really optimistic way to look at things.

David Tepper has earned a terrible reputation around the league. Besides being known as a meddler and hard to work for, you've got the "weekly meetings" story that let everybody know what Reich was going through.

Anybody that has good opportunities elsewhere will probably explore them.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, sorry but that's a really optimistic way to look at things.

David Tepper has earned a terrible reputation around the league. Besides being known as a meddler and hard to work for, you've got the "weekly meetings" story that let everybody know what Reich was going through.

Anybody that has good opportunities elsewhere will probably explore them.

And at the end of the day someone will be named the Panthers next fulltime HC, and it will likely be a pretty good name. There's only 32 of these gigs available. Ben Johnson will likely have his pick of the litter, yes, and probably won't be the guy here unless Tepper throws him a Rhule-level contract in terms of $$$. But someone will be the coach here and I think it will be a name that people will find acceptable, if not exciting. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

And at the end of the day someone will be named the Panthers next fulltime HC, and it will likely be a pretty good name. There's only 32 of these gigs available. Ben Johnson will likely have his pick of the litter, yes, and probably won't be the guy here unless Tepper throws him a Rhule-level contract in terms of $$$. But someone will be the coach here and I think it will be a name that people will find acceptable, if not exciting. 

Someone will be named the head coach, yes.

I have very little confidence right now that it will be "a pretty good name" unless David Tepper makes some very radical changes to how he operates.