• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I could see Tepper moving the team.

Brent Gregory

Y'all's breakdown of MSAs and populations and whatever else is completely irrelevant. The only thing that will determine if the Panthers stay is if the city or state or county or whatever gives him money to heavily renovate or build a new stadium. If they do, the Panthers will stay. If they don't, they will be gone. I would guess that they will give it to him but if the team stays on this course, who knows?

I would welcome a move as it would give me a great excuse to jump this sinking ship.

• Pie 1

Just now, IndyPanther said:

Y'all's breakdown of MSAs and populations and whatever else is completely irrelevant. The only thing that will determine if the Panthers stay is if the city or state or county or whatever gives him money to heavily renovate or build a new stadium. If they do, the Panthers will stay. If they don't, they will be gone. I would guess that they will give it to him but if the team stays on this course, who knows?

I would welcome a move as it would give me a great excuse to jump this sinking ship.

they have already allocated the money stream for it here in CLT.  600 mil from the city & 600 mil from Big Tepp ($1.2 Bs) to renovate BOA.  

Just now, CBDellinger said:

they have already allocated the money stream for it here in CLT.  600 mil from the city & 600 mil from Big Tepp ($1.2 Bs) to renovate BOA.  

They've "discussed the framework" for such an agreement. It does seem highly likely that will end up happening, but it's far from a sure thing. Especially with the fanbase (and thus, the voters) so disillusioned with the team at the moment.

Another interesting thing to think about: If that does end up happening, a $1.2B renovation is likely something that would shut down the stadium for at least a season. Jacksonville's renovation is putting them out for 2 seasons, with a 3rd season where they won't be able to use their upper deck. Where do y'all think they would play? Would the team just play at Clemson again? Rotate around different college stadiums in NC & SC? It would be interesting to see play out.

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

Charlotte is one of the biggest markets in the country. He's not moving them.

As we've seen hes not the smartest guy in the football room but he knows money...which is all this is about... I could see him pulling an Art Modell... luck up on a GM and win a SB somewhere else...

4 minutes ago, IndyPanther said:

They've "discussed the framework" for such an agreement. It does seem highly likely that will end up happening, but it's far from a sure thing. Especially with the fanbase (and thus, the voters) so disillusioned with the team at the moment.

Another interesting thing to think about: If that does end up happening, a $1.2B renovation is likely something that would shut down the stadium for at least a season. Jacksonville's renovation is putting them out for 2 seasons, with a 3rd season where they won't be able to use their upper deck. Where do y'all think they would play? Would the team just play at Clemson again? Rotate around different college stadiums in NC & SC? It would be interesting to see play out.

At the current attendance they can just play at UNCC. 

This is only really possible if he doesn’t get a new stadium within the next five or so years and even then it’s tough because this is a major east coast market.

just being hated by the public that ain’t enough to move the team. James Dolan been hated by Knicks fans for decades 

Edited by countryboi

1 hour ago, countryboi said:

This is only really possible if he doesn’t get a new stadium within the next five or so years and even then it’s tough because this is a major east coast market.

just being hated by the public that ain’t enough to move the team. James Dolan been hated by Knicks fans for decades 

There's really no "even then" about it. If he doesn't get the stadium, the team is gone. There is virtually no uncertainty about that. He has practically came out and said it. Exact quote was something like "We're not going to force a new stadium on the community, they have to want it."

There are several markets in the NFL that would never lose their team, regardless of a taxpayer financed stadium (but even those ones use nearby suburbs as leverage to get them). Charlotte is not one of them.

Tepper has already shown he'll pull out of a city he feels wronged him in Rock Hill (whether or not it's true). The only thing that will decide the fate of the Panthers in Charlotte is whether or not the city will pony up for the stadium or upgrades.

36 minutes ago, IndyPanther said:

There's really no "even then" about it. If he doesn't get the stadium, the team is gone. There is virtually no uncertainty about that. He has practically came out and said it. Exact quote was something like "We're not going to force a new stadium on the community, they have to want it."

There are several markets in the NFL that would never lose their team, regardless of a taxpayer financed stadium (but even those ones use nearby suburbs as leverage to get them). Charlotte is not one of them.

Tepper has already shown he'll pull out of a city he feels wronged him in Rock Hill (whether or not it's true). The only thing that will decide the fate of the Panthers in Charlotte is whether or not the city will pony up for the stadium or upgrades.

I’m pretty sure that he had a plan to use rock Hill as leverage, but without South Carolina as leverage I don’t see any path to getting a stadium built here in Charlotte