• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Positive thread - 2003 Panthers memories

Gapanthersfan

8 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

2003 will always be the greatest Panther season. The sting of losing that SB has worn off and now I just appreciate how much of a rollercoaster that season was. The whole NFL was fun to watch that year too. It will always be the best year of football that I've ever seen

I hope it won't always be the greatest season but yeah for now it is. We got to the SB against long odds and lost a great game to a team that would become the greatest dynasty the league has ever seen. No shame in that.

I remember the Jags game, we looked DOA in the first half, then in the 2nd half Fox started this unknown QB from Louisana we plucked from the aints, and Jake came in and took control, and it was like a switch was flipped , his confidence made everyone immediately play better , and his arm was a laser beam, and we won with a late TD to Prohel and a legend was born 

We had so many many classic games that season, like blocking 2 Martin Grammatica kicks to beat the arrogant bucs, beating Peyton Manning , the walk off 2 ot win against the greatest show on turf, DeShaun Foster willing his way into the endzine against Philly, Moose catching a TD pass and telling our doubters to hush that made the cover of Sports illustrated, to Jake going toe to toe, step for step with Brady , if we had won he would have been MVP 

It was a dissapointing end, but it was still  our most magical season, 2015 was a close second, but we where expected to win then

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

It was a dissapointing end, but it was still  our most magical season, 2015 was a close second, but we where expected to win then

Yeah the underdog theme and all the close wins made 2003 seem magical. The second half of the Super Bowl really made it feel like they were going to pull off a similar comeback like they had all season. Made it even more disappointing at the end.

2 hours ago, EgoDogg said:

This should be a required watch for all Panthers fans.

I've re-watched this probably upwards of 20 times over the years. Oh how I miss when NFL Films made productions like this. Seems like at some point in the early 2010s, NFL Films all but died sans a handful of shows here or there. This is one of their best simply because the story of this team is already movie-like by default, not many other teams that can say the same imo.

Edited by beo
  • Pie 2

2 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

2003 will always be the greatest Panther season. The sting of losing that SB has worn off and now I just appreciate how much of a rollercoaster that season was. The whole NFL was fun to watch that year too. It will always be the best year of football that I've ever seen

I feel like the magic of 2003 is one of the last remaining Panthers memories I can hold on to during this time in the abyss.

My biggest anger at Tepper and the Panthers is the fact my boys have yet to see a competent Panthers team that can even compete for the playoffs, let alone a magical season like 2003.

It truly was the epitome of catching lightning in a bottle...

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope it won't always be the greatest season but yeah for now it is. We got to the SB against long odds and lost a great game to a team that would become the greatest dynasty the league has ever seen. No shame in that.

Although eventually winning a SB would be nice, I just can't see myself as involved and the Panthers having as many memorable characters as Jake, Smitty, Moose, Jenkins, Buckner, Manning Jr., Mark Fields, and Sam Mills. Hell, the whole "Keep Pounding" mantra came out of 2003

Edited by Move the Panthers to Raleigh

3 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Although eventually winning a SB would be nice, I just can't see myself as involved and the Panthers having as many memorable characters as Jake, Smitty, Moose, Jenkins, Buckner, Manning Jr., Mark Fields, and Sam Mills. 

It's tough to imagine because we've been so bad for several years now but if we start winning again it'll come around. 

It’s not hyperbole to say that team, that year and those players are a made for TV movie.

I mean, Jake having to go to Amsterdam and lose out to some other scrub named Kurt Warner, only to come back stateside and play for some loser team in NC. 

Some short and angry kick returner from LA who turns in to one of the greatest WRs of his generation. 

Pig farmer.

Then some hick from nowhere Louisiana, who don’t care who the hell you are, mounts a comeback in the second half of the superbowl to take the lead against the greatest, most clutch QB of all time. 

It’s the first season I actually paid attention to. I still have my Minter and my Morgan jersey. That story is one of the greatest in NFL history. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan