• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should we seriously consider Evero for head coach?

PleaseCutStewart

4 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

This unit is still transitioning too an odd-front as its' base. He was sifting through guys like Tuttle, Williams and Houston off the scrap heap. 

Let him have a more prominent role in the decision making process as HCs do. 

We have been unsuccessfully transferring to an odd front since the last year of Rivera here. It's just a bad idea to keep trying.

4 hours ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

I don't think anybody here is arguing that our defense is elite talent wise. What we are arguing is that Evero is somehow making a bottom 10 (possibly bottom 5) talent defense look pretty damn good.

You put Luke, TD, Shaq, prime Norman, and all of the great pass rushers we had on this defense and I'm sure Evero would have them playing as good, if not better, than our best D years of the mid-late 2010s

Third fewest yards allowed in the NFL, but 4th most points... that's more about the field position of our opponents than anything else. It's not about good coaching.

At all.

• Pie 2

Yes, but it won't happen because Tepper has shown no ability to solely what is logical. He didn't retain Wilks after Wilks literally turned around a moribund franchise in about two weeks. The 12 weeks with Wilks were the best this team has looked since 2018.

So do I expect him to keep Evero? No. Defensive football doesn't sell tickets, apparently. Nevermind that the defense and offense will be complimentary and as a fast, attacking, defense, Evero would likely go after an offense of the same mold. 

20 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Third fewest yards allowed in the NFL, but 4th most points... that's more about the field position of our opponents than anything else. It's not about good coaching.

At all.

It's the Rhule year 2 D all over, 2021. Neither were good Ds just low yards and a lot of points. It was only 2 years ago but people forget how that turned out the year after that blip, hint 22 in yards and 19 in scoring. This is the same deal. Hell Rhule hit #2 lol. 

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, toldozer said:

If there was any chance of that he would be the hc right now. Would be very dumb of Tepper to not get a free 6 game preview of a guy they'd consider for the job.  My guess is tepper asked him to do it and Evero said fug that noise I'm outta here end of season 

He got a half season preview last season and did nothing with it.  I don't think this was the rationale used in not offering Evero the interim position.  Evero can and probably still will interview for the vacancy. Not all interim hires are indicative of the team's next moves... nor should they be.

22 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

At all.

We're also tied for most defensive TDs by opponents.. something like .4 TDs per game. When you take those numbers into account for all teams we're better on on points. Still not amazing.

We have the worst defensive starting position in the league, or close to it.

Yet ... We have a good third down d and we give up relatively few yards per play, too. 

Our run d is not good, but that isn't surprising given the 3-4 with mismatched pieces. 

I personally just think Evero is doing a great job with what he has available.  This also isn't his first year as a good DC.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

We're also tied for most defensive TDs by opponents.. something like .4 TDs per game. When you take those numbers into account for all teams we're better on on points. Still not amazing.

We have the worst defensive starting position in the league, or close to it.

Yet ... We have a good third down d and we give up relatively few yards per play, too. 

Our run d is not good, but that isn't surprising given the 3-4 with mismatched pieces. 

I personally just think Evero is doing a great job with what he has available.  This also isn't his first year as a good DC.

I agree, give him another 2 years to find the correct pieces and this would be one solid D. Its the best since mcderp leftd for buffalo.

ALways could get more TOs and I think they are last in QB pressures as well. Still they are the only reason games have been somewhat close. Red zone needs improving as well. Overall Ive been impressed given all the injuries, last yr 4-3, and piss poor O. 

• Pie 2

On 12/17/2023 at 9:38 PM, PleaseCutStewart said:

I know we will want some offensive genius to make our offense not god awful, but I feel like we need to give some appreciation to how amazing of a job Evero has done with the defense this year, despite the defense not having a ton of talent + suffering a lot of injuries while the offense constantly puts them in bad situations.

I'm afraid we will lose him when we hire our new coaching staff and I would be pretty depressed if that happens. This isn't the same scenario as Wilks, who is a great Ra ra ra coach but a terrible X's and o's coach (and frankly not even a very good DC)

Opinions on whether y'all would want Evero as head coach or not.

Yes we should. The league sees him as a future head coach. Tepper probably won't even consider going defense though.

16 hours ago, Basbear said:

I agree, give him another 2 years to find the correct pieces and this would be one solid D. Its the best since mcderp leftd for buffalo.

ALways could get more TOs and I think they are last in QB pressures as well. Still they are the only reason games have been somewhat close. Red zone needs improving as well. Overall Ive been impressed given all the injuries, last yr 4-3, and piss poor O. 

Our defense quit working like a unit when we lost Shaq for the year.

The heart of any defense is the MLB. Luvu is great, but he's the Thomas Davis in this defense.

• Beer 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:46 PM, Khyber53 said:

At all.

I don't disagree with this take.

Additionally, Evero needs to discuss Jeremy Chinn and why he isn't playing him more than a handful of snaps per game. That is some seriously wasted talent.

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

I don't disagree with this take.

Additionally, Evero needs to discuss Jeremy Chinn and why he isn't playing him more than a handful of snaps per game. That is some seriously wasted talent.

Had he not gone on the IR before the trade deadline he would have been traded.  Chinn is at a crossroads of sorts.  He doesn't cover well enough to take Woods or Bell off the field.  He's not big enough to assume fulltime LB duties.  He's a tweener.. a talented one at that.  I wish he would just bulk up some and play LB but that's easier to say from my computer chair than for it to actually happen.  Just what I think would make placing him in any defense easier.