• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It sucks giving up the 1st overall pick...

t96

10 hours ago, BrianS said:

My dude.  You keep throwing this 50 sack number out like it's all on our line and the truth is it's not.

Let me throw some numbers at you.  Bear in mind these are team stats, not player stats, which is important since many teams have used multiple QB's this year.  First, pressure rate.

image.thumb.png.d28c29db5bfd5a930120bcbb05e30d79.png

Our pressure rate is similar to that of the Browns, Lions and Chiefs . . . three playoff teams.  The Bengals and the Texans also had similar pressure rates - two pretty good teams.  Will Levis with the Titans has done pretty well (compared to Bryce) with more pressure.  Despite having the lowest pressure rate in the league, how has Taysom / Jameis / Carr looked in New Orleans?

Now, look at pocket time.  The time from snap until either the ball is out or pressure arrives.

image.thumb.png.f872fda44193925881fad68716bd1199.png

Interesting that the two teams with the highest pocket times also have higher pressure rates than we do.  BY's pocket time is within a tenth of a second of the vast majority of the league.  Also interesting that Stroud shows the exact same pocket time as Bryce.  Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

A great deal of our problems this year has been our QB's inability to make fast decisions.  Our OL certainly must shoulder it's share of the blame, but it's not the only problem.  Likely it's not even the main problem.  Just looking at it statistically, Stroud has been given largely the same sort of protection that Young has been given.  Yet Stroud manages to make those fast decisions and get the ball out either to a receiver or out of play.

Our team is bad.  Our scheme is bad.  Both can be true.  Just like we can have a bad QB and a bad OL.

There are bigger issues than his inability to make quick decisions. For example, we can’t perfect quick hitting timing plays where there’s only one read because he doesn’t have a normal consistent drop back the timing is always different. He also can’t be played under center, that eliminates play action and half the play book. He also isn’t sturdy or tough enough to complete throws while being hit or about to be hit stepping up. He lacks the leadership skills to instill confidence because he has no confidence in himself. All of these things contribute to poor protection numbers because he’s hard to protect. The idea that a top 10 line became a bottom 5 line in 1 season is insane. Clearly the QB change effected them. We really need an upgrade at QB more than anything, receivers who get open quicker and some interior line help.

Edited by Selltheteamtepper
  • Pie 1

53 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

There are bigger issues than his inability to make quick decisions. For example, we can’t perfect quick hitting timing plays where there’s only one read because he doesn’t have a normal consistent drop back the timing is always different. He also can’t be played under center, that eliminates play action and half the play book. He also isn’t sturdy or tough enough to complete throws while being hit or about to be hit stepping up. He lacks the leadership skills to instill confidence because he has no confidence in himself. All of these things contribute to poor protection numbers because he’s hard to protect. The idea that a top 10 line became a bottom 5 line in 1 season is insane. Clearly the QB change effected them. We really need an upgrade at QB more than anything, receivers who get open quicker and some interior line help.

You also can't overlook the starting guards from last season playing very few snaps.

14 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

The oline issues have cause the footwork issues, because bryce can't depend on them. The oline is also responsible foe the bad timing.  Pocket awareness is not normally a strong suit for rookies.   His accuracy his fantastic when he can set his feet.  

My eyes are always wide open. 

No. Exclamation point no!

Man, this is so easy to see - people are getting a crick in their neck trying to not look at it. Just look at his pro day when it was set up for him as easy as you please like taking candy from a baby conditions, you will see, or should see, warnings.

And think back to the first negative reports from camp: when were they? When the pads went on and there was pressure. More warning signs. It was Bryce Young looks good... and then pads are on and it isn’t that any more. 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Lol at the straws people grasp for to support an opinion.  

Yeah, like blaming our O-line for Young's inability to perform a simple 5-step dropback when his Alabama tape clearly shows his footwork has always been atrocious. Sorry to break it to you, but your head is filled with straws, and we're trying to perform a brain surgery on you.

Somebody explain to me, why is it he can't play under center? Why can't he line yo under center and play? Why can't he be coached up to do this? I don't get why 99% of the time we MUST be in shotgun? Why can't they coach him up and have him start playing under center? I realize his foot work sucks yes but where is the pro level coaching working with him every day on that and slowly over the season making him lineup under center more and more? 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Somebody explain to me, why is it he can't play under center? Why can't he line yo under center and play? Why can't he be coached up to do this? I don't get why 99% of the time we MUST be in shotgun? Why can't they coach him up and have him start playing under center? I realize his foot work sucks yes but where is the pro level coaching working with him every day on that and slowly over the season making him lineup under center more and more? 

Its hard to see over someone that is 6'3" (the average height for NFL OL) when you are 5'8" and standing directly behind them. 

All the rational people were already saying this before we ever selected Young. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, PootieNunu said:

Its hard to see over someone that is 6'3" (the average height for NFL OL) when you are 5'8" and standing directly behind them. 

Didn't Drew Brees go under center? I realize he is slightly taller but Drew Brees was no big dude but so good at everything. I just had hopes that somehow Young would have that Drew Brees swag and overcome that height completely. Of course this year has completely been the opposite.

I am not as down on Bryce as some. Imo, he looks no worse than Lawrence and some other qb's who eventually had success.  

I also don't blame the organization for the trade, but I said at the time that there was at best, a 50/50 chance it would work.  But I still don't blame them for taking the risk.  And if Bryce shows by the end of next year that he is not a NFL qb, we can try it again in 2025.  

6 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Didn't Drew Brees go under center? I realize he is slightly taller but Drew Brees was no big dude but so good at everything. I just had hopes that somehow Young would have that Drew Brees swag and overcome that height completely. Of course this year has completely been the opposite.

Drew is quite a bit taller than Bryce in real life. Check out their respective eye level, which is what matters.

FngPzoUXEAEngqT.thumb.jpeg.2ab3f0b7094b7d7c6714881488952354.jpeg

Edited by BenjaminBreeg
  • Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

a potential HOF coach alleviates a lot of issues

• Beer 1