• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce was allegedly yelled at by Bozeman...

3 hours ago, CRA said:

Andy Dalton has played in the NFL for centuries....and it took the most pass attempts in his entire career for us to just have a respectful passing day in terms of yardage. It took him what, 60 pass attempts or something?    

Hold up a sec there.

The Red Rifle threw for 361 yards in that game.  That's more than just a respectful day, that's a great freaking day.  A whole season at that rate is over 6000 yards.  A whole season at HALF that rate is 3000 yards, and our starter isn't even going to get to that mark.

Dalton's season long pass this year is 47 yards.  BY's is 48.  Dalton's Air Yards per Attempt is 6.91, while Young's is 5.0.

This team would have won 6 or so games with Dalton.  It's fine that we didn't do that.  We had a rookie QB we needed to learn about.  We've now learned.  But let's not pretend the offense would not have been significantly better with Dalton running it.

Bryce will get a chance next year, but he's going to need to show improvement.  My concern is how will he do that?  It sucks, but it seems clearer all the time that we got dazzled by a test score instead of watching the actual full game tape on Bryce.

• Pie 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Edit to add: this “NFL-open” buzz term is something that has suddenly become very popular here this season. Might want to think about why that is. Could it be just the term “open” rarely describes our receivers?

The term "NFL-open" is popular this season because Bryce backers (most of whom are hilariously lacking in basic football knowledge) need to be educated on the fact that the NFL is very different from college football. In the NFL, receivers don't get nearly as much separation from defenders as they do at Alabama, whose players are significantly more talented than the opposition, save two or three opponents each season. In the NFL, the talent disparity is much smaller and throwing windows are far tighter, and therefore the demand on timing, processing, and ball placement (throwing receivers open is a big thing) is also significantly higher. This is precisely why so very many good college QBs don't make it in the NFL. Bryce backers just can't seem to grasp this simple fact and instead they resort to blaming the O-line, the receivers, the coaches, and anything and everything except their golden boy.

Edited by BenjaminBreeg
  • Pie 3
  • Poo 1

12 hours ago, csx said:

Many believe that Youngs poor dropbacks cause issues. Which makes a lot of sense. Improper depth and pace will do that. It would make sense as to why a veteran lineman was frustrated.

He had the same issues at Alabama but it didn't matter as much because the team was generally the more talented group of players. 

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

Hold up a sec there.

The Red Rifle threw for 361 yards in that game.  That's more than just a respectful day, that's a great freaking day.  A whole season at that rate is over 6000 yards.  A whole season at HALF that rate is 3000 yards, and our starter isn't even going to get to that mark.

Dalton's season long pass this year is 47 yards.  BY's is 48.  Dalton's Air Yards per Attempt is 6.91, while Young's is 5.0.

This team would have won 6 or so games with Dalton.  It's fine that we didn't do that.  We had a rookie QB we needed to learn about.  We've now learned.  But let's not pretend the offense would not have been significantly better with Dalton running it.

Bryce will get a chance next year, but he's going to need to show improvement.  My concern is how will he do that?  It sucks, but it seems clearer all the time that we got dazzled by a test score instead of watching the actual full game tape on Bryce.

Dude…58 pass attempts

You can be cute about the argument all you want…58 is a air raid number.

Edited by Panthercougar68
  • Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Dude…58 pass attempts

Wonder what youngs game would look like with 58 attempts in a game.  20 completions 150 yards 12 sacks 1 int 1 fumble 0 tds i believe would be close

3 hours ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

…Bryce backers just can't seem to grasp this simple fact and instead they resort to blaming the O-line, the receivers, the coaches, and anything and everything except their golden boy.

I think the problem Is the biggest  Bryce Backers are Dave and Nicole 

the people who wanted him to sit got fired because they couldn’t make chicken salad out of chicken poo

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 3

1 hour ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Dude…58 pass attempts

Missing the forest for the trees.  Yes, Dalton threw 58 times.  Don't look at the number, look at what the numbers actually boiled down to.  Almost 7 air yards per attempt versus BY's 5.0.  Dalton's numbers put him in the same statistical category as Jalen Hurts, Mahomes and Josh Allen this year.  I'm not comparing him to those guys as a package!  Just saying that's what his numbers looked like in our only exposure to him in our offense! 

"But the Seahawks are a terrible pass defense!"

Actually, they are middle of the pack.  But let's say they are bad for arguments sake.  You know who's worse?  The Bucs (178).  The Jags (112).  The Texans (235).  The Lions (247).  The Bears (185).  The Vikings (204).  Yea, Bryce has played some terrible pass defending teams too and not gotten within 100 yards of what Dalton did.  In an offense that is arguably more productive with Frank Reich gone!

By way of comparison, at his season average of five yards per attempt, BY would have needed to throw it 72 times to hit that same 361 yards.  BY's season average puts him 33rd in the NFL this year among players with at least 6 starts.

Panthers history time class!

Who here remembers Teddy Two Gloves?  Checkdown Teddy?  Yea, well, in TB5's one season here he averaged 7.2 air yards per attempt.  He threw for 3700 yards, 15 TD's and 11 INT's in 15 games going 4-11.

I've seen people compare Young to Pickles.  That's a little harsh.  Pickles was worse.  You know who a REALLY GOOD Panthers comp for BY is?  Chris Weinke.  Check it out:

image.thumb.png.21bd4654194c6d2bcc3a92caa5c9773a.png

image.thumb.png.ed05516807ea3e7f0e5e8616ec9950b9.png

Were we too quick jumping ship on Weinke?  I sure don't think so.  Man, those stat lines look awfully similar and scary to me.

Edited by BrianS
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Missing the forest for the trees.  Yes, Dalton threw 58 times.  Don't look at the number, look at what the numbers actually boiled down to.  Almost 7 air yards per attempt versus BY's 5.0.  Dalton's numbers put him in the same statistical category as Jalen Hurts, Mahomes and Josh Allen this year.  I'm not comparing him to those guys as a package!  Just saying that's what his numbers looked like in our only exposure to him in our offense! 

"But the Seahawks are a terrible pass defense!"

Actually, they are middle of the pack.  But let's say they are bad for arguments sake.  You know who's worse?  The Bucs (178).  The Jags (112).  The Texans (235).  The Lions (247).  The Bears (185).  The Vikings (204).  Yea, Bryce has played some terrible pass defending teams too and not gotten within 100 yards of what Dalton did.  In an offense that is arguably more productive with Frank Reich gone!

By way of comparison, at his season average of five yards per attempt, BY would have needed to throw it 72 times to hit that same 361 yards.  BY's season average puts him 33rd in the NFL this year among players with at least 6 starts.

Panthers history time class!

Who here remembers Teddy Two Gloves?  Checkdown Teddy?  Yea, well, in TB5's one season here he averaged 7.2 air yards per attempt.  He threw for 3700 yards, 15 TD's and 11 INT's in 15 games going 4-11.

I've seen people compare Young to Pickles.  That's a little harsh.  Pickles was worse.  You know who a REALLY GOOD Panthers comp for BY is?  Chris Weinke.  Check it out:

image.thumb.png.21bd4654194c6d2bcc3a92caa5c9773a.png

image.thumb.png.ed05516807ea3e7f0e5e8616ec9950b9.png

Were we too quick jumping ship on Weinke?  I sure don't think so.  Man, those stat lines look awfully similar and scary to me.

Weinke also had 6 rushing td’s. His production blows Bryce away. 19 picks in 2001 might be 15 era adjusted for today.

• Pie 1