• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coach/GM Updates

30 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

I actually feel the opposite about Wilks. I think he is a great DC but below average HC. The only reason he had "success" (6-6 record) was because he ran the ball 30 times per game and the players were relieved that Matt Rhule and his corniness was gone.

People forget:

• Steve Wilks was dogged for being more conservative than Rivera and Fox in 2022.
  • All the times he punted on 4th and short with Foreman in the backfield.
  • Playing off coverage and getting picked apart all season and then getting beat over the top by the Bucs 3 times.
  • Signing Norman and starting Keith Taylor/CJ Henderson instead.
  • His unwavering loyalty to Al Holcombe. 

Better than Rhule? yeah. Better than Reich? Probably. Those are some low ass ceilings. 

Admittedly I haven't followed Wilks' career as a DC outside of Carolina very closely, but his year as DC here was really a massive disappointment with a ton of talent on D. Huge huge drop off from McDermott, maybe slightly better than Eric Washington the following year, but he was not a good DC here. Better assistant HC and secondary coach.

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

I actually feel the opposite about Wilks. I think he is a great DC but below average HC. The only reason he had "success" (6-6 record) was because he ran the ball 30 times per game and the players were relieved that Matt Rhule and his corniness was gone.

People forget:

• Steve Wilks was dogged for being more conservative than Rivera and Fox in 2022.
  • All the times he punted on 4th and short with Foreman in the backfield.
  • Playing off coverage and getting picked apart all season and then getting beat over the top by the Bucs 3 times.
  • Signing Norman and starting Keith Taylor/CJ Henderson instead.
  • His unwavering loyalty to Al Holcombe. 

Better than Rhule? yeah. Better than Reich? Probably. Those are some low ass ceilings. 

A lot of that stuff you are picking at him with is coordinator type stuff too, if you get good ones.

And I need to refresh the circumstances: not his players, coaches, you know, he didn’t have a lot to say about much of anything except to subtract people. Which can be helpful but they weren’t replaced. A lot of people were moonlighting taking up the slack. Not an ideal situation. 

And for the hell of it, I bet we’d have won more than two this year with him, despite Tepper and Young. And maybe Brown, and Icky.

And he is coordinating okay now I guess, but look at the talent. I loved him as the secondary coach, as far as actual coaching.

I think he clearly demonstrated qualities that are lacking in the other guys that have had the job. 

If the Eagles loose to the Bucs or the Cowboys does not make it to the NFCCG I could see both McCarthy and Sirianni get the boot especially with Belichick available.

I think Bill will just patiently wait for the Playoff to unfold before making any decisions. He wants a contender team with a strong roster.

Edited by Memphis
spelling

1 hour ago, Memphis said:

If the Eagles loose to the Bucs or the Cowboys does not make it to the NFCCG I could see both McCarthy and Sirianni get the boot especially with Belichick available.

I think Bill will just patiently wait for the Playoff to unfold before making any decisions. He wants a contender team with a strong roster.

My 10 guess could be right after all, shocked abouts pats and titans.

I hes still nutty and all, but I believe jerry has already said mccarthy would be back. 

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

I do not want Bill in the nfc south, thats a nightmare...

Ive seen a crazy rumor that the group at DC will make a offer he cannot refuse. 

Im still not believing hes no longer a pat.

Belichick stopped scaring me a while ago.

(probably around the time Tom Brady left)

On 1/8/2024 at 10:39 AM, Ricky Spanish said:

Ben Johnson makes that offense go.

Dan is the hype man that brings the whole team together.

Seattle went downhill after Quinn left. He was the architect of the great Seattle defenses that made Pete Carrol look so good.  In Carolina defense suffered when McDermont went to Buffalo. Assistant coaches can make a huge difference. 

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Belichick stopped scaring me a while ago.

(probably around the time Tom Brady left)

His defense is still elite. His drafting and offense decisions, looking 2023 panthers bad.

If you could get him to allow a good GM roster control, hes dangerous to any opponent.

He did go 10-5/6 with corral.   

Not to defend his awful draft history, but for a good 10 year span, at best he was drafting 28th. Thats each round, but he didnt help with the 4th string rutgers CB 2nd round picks and 4th round navy FB stuff. 

The main deal is this, teams still use his defense plan afterwards. Just like he gave the blueprint to stopping the rams in the SB, he does that against everyone. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

I do not want Bill in the nfc south, thats a nightmare...

Ive seen a crazy rumor that the group at DC will make a offer he cannot refuse. 

Im still not believing hes no longer a pat.

They don't want Belichick. 

2 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

Seattle went downhill after Quinn left. He was the architect of the great Seattle defenses that made Pete Carrol look so good.  In Carolina defense suffered when McDermont went to Buffalo. Assistant coaches can make a huge difference. 

Gus Bradley was the architect in my opinion but Dan Quinn finished building it and took it to a different level. 

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

NFL analyst just said that Carolina is sniffing around Belichick and did so last offseason too.  Hmm

I told you guys they would not mind a Harbaugh/Belichick type. I think they would rather have a Ben Johnson but I don't think they will have a problem with the others mentioned above before they hire a Brian Callahan, Kellen Moore, or Brian Johnson.

I’d like to see the Panthers hire 1)Alec Halaby or keep 2)Dan Morgan Jr as GM, Brandt Tilis hired as VP of Football Administration or Football Operation, and then probably elevate Adrian Wilson to Assistant General Manager. Elevate In-house or hire someone to become the VP-Player Personnel, and that would be doing a Front Office refresh!!

Just now, razorwolf said:

I’d like to see the Panthers hire 1)Alec Halaby or keep 2)Dan Morgan Jr as GM, Brandt Tilis hired as VP of Football Administration or Football Operation, and then probably elevate Adrian Wilson to Assistant General Manager. Elevate In-house or hire someone to become the VP-Player Personnel, and that would be doing a Front Office refresh!!

For those wanting Halaby I would look into him a bit. Here is an article from 2021 that talks about Halaby and how he contributed to Pederson's downfall in Philadelphia. 

https://theathletic.com/2506187/2021/04/12/paranoia-mismanagement-and-office-politics-inside-the-eagles-downfall-under-jeffrey-lurie-howie-roseman/ 

Here is an interesting piece on Halaby.

To some, Halaby is something of an interloper. They say he carries influence with Lurie in part because of a close relationship with fellow Harvard grad Julian Lurie, Jeffrey’s son, who stands to one day take over the family business. To others, Halaby is “brilliant” and simply willing to fight for what he believes is right. The more nuanced opinion is that Halaby is in a “no-win situation,” boxed into a specific characterization by the non-traditional football background he shares with Roseman and a personality that makes him a “square peg in a round hole.”

The blurriness of Halaby’s influence on the final decision-makers created rifts throughout the organization and contributed to the iciness between departments. One source described the analytics team as a “clandestine, Black Ops department that doesn’t answer to anybody except the owner,” even though Halaby officially reports to Roseman.

During the 2017 season, Halaby’s and Pederson’s relationship soured to the point where Pederson berated Halaby within earshot of the rest of the office, according to sources. In the opinion of some members of the coaching staff, Halaby was not to be trusted.

Frustration mounted on the scouting side as well. Rather than being presented with reasons for where certain draft-eligible players were rated by Halaby’s department, the scouting staff would simply be given a list of players the analytics department liked. According to one source, a top personnel official was upset to find out Halaby was grading players on his own despite never having been trained in the scouting department’s methodology.