• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interview requests

Mr. Scot

11 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

The problem with Slowik is the problem Johnson had last year. First year play callers don’t expect to be offered head coaching jobs, so they don’t have support staffs. That’s the first question asked in interviews “who can you bring with you?”. 

Often depends on how extensive their NFL experience was prior to coordinating.  I.E. Zach Taylor wasn't even an OC at the time and had a great network when he was hired by Cincy due to his background.

Slowik has 3 years in WAS and 6 in SF with the Shanahans.  I imagine there's more than a few guys he could find to bring in with him.  

• Pie 1

Whoever is chosen, I just hope Tepper doesn't idolize them and put undo pressure and expectations on them. I fear who he will compare Ben Johnson to if he called Matt Rhule 'his Chuck Knoll'. I hate the whole Chuck Knoll or 'I want the next coach to say the eulogy at my funeral', even if it was said in jest, I think part of his problem is seeing these guys as saviors that are going to fix everything for him.

9 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Often depends on how extensive their NFL experience was prior to coordinating.  I.E. Zach Taylor wasn't even an OC at the time and had a great network when he was hired by Cincy due to his background.

Slowik has 3 years in WAS and 6 in SF with the Shanahans.  I imagine there's more than a few guys he could find to bring in with him.  

Correct me if I’m wrong but he was an offensive assistant 2 years ago. Building relationships for a HC job probably wasn’t even on his radar. 

1 hour ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but he was an offensive assistant 2 years ago. Building relationships for a HC job probably wasn’t even on his radar. 

You don't need to be building relationships for that specific reason.  He's been building relationships in the league for 12 years.  Just as in any business, it's about establishing those connections when they present themselves because you never know when it comes back around as an opportunity.    

Ben Johnson for example, is quite tied in (for over a decade) with Sherman/Philben tree with guys like Dan Campbell and Zach Taylor.  The late 2000s A&M and early 2010s Dolphins staff wasn't super successful, but that spawned some great offshoots as we see today.  So, I don't think we should assume one's rolodex is thin just because of his role on a team.

There was a great story about how Dan Campbell and Zac Taylor met at A&M and it was a lasting impression. And even further back, if Zac didn't pursue the gal he liked at Nebraska, he would've never married Mike Sherman's daughter, gotten that job at A&M, then Miami, eventually propelling him to Cincy.  

You never know where or where the bridges you build will take you, but best be making them at all times.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:46 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Don't think Leak was around, but I know we followed it pretty heavily as it was happening.

Fitterer wasn't part of the original group. He and one other (Khan, I think) were tacked on at the end.

Peters technically made it to round two but the 49ers gave him a raise and a new title (Assistant GM) to come back 

Best I remember they interview lots of guys and had a stale period, basically no one wow'd them. Then pat stewart got a call form finnererererer saying hed like to interview and got the job shortly after. 

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

It could happen fast now that those playoff teams lost. My pick is frank smith and hes free now. 

Yeah, I know. I was joking. I big part of me doesn't care because I know it won't be a good hire or matter since Tepper is going to keep doing what he wants.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

Best I remember they interview lots of guys and had a stale period, basically no one wow'd them. Then pat stewart got a call form finnererererer saying hed like to interview and got the job shortly after. 

Based on what I read at the time, Rhule brought a list of his candidates (personnel guys with prior connections to him like Jeff Ireland and Adam Peters). Likewise, Tepper brought his (pretty much all analytics guys).

As it went on, neither of them could convince the other to get fully on board with any of their guys. That led to some extra invites, one of which went to Fitterer.

In the end, Rhule won enough debates that all the second interviews went to guys on his list.

Can't help thinking Tepper's determined we're gonna do things his way this time. Hence the majority of analytics guys over men with a scouting background.

• Beer 1