• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pretty confident its gonna be Dan Morgan GM

Frank9999

45 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Literally all of us have been in a situation where we don't speak up about something when we know we're right because an idiot boss thinks it's a good idea and it's easier to just go along with what they want to do and hope it works out than slam our head against the wall. That is a universal shared human experience and I don't understand why people are so resistant to the idea in this situation. Just because the stakes are higher for an NFL team doesn't make the office politics just like some bloated corporation rolling out a new product that literally EVERYONE knows is going to flop but some dipshit middle manager is obsessed with.

Second point might be fair, but there's something to be said about internal continuity and bringing up someone that has the respect of the building. NFL teams are complicated things. 

Another more likely explanation is the old Upton Sinclair quote "It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his paycheck depends on him not understanding it." 

Paychecks for coaches and I think GMs don’t matter when they have a contract and get paid whether they work or not.

Sorry, but the boss isn’t an ex-NFL coach or GM so it’s not the same. This place acts like Tepper is making every decision and yet we didn’t draft Fields who Tepper wanted and we didn’t make the Rams or Texans an offer they couldn’t refuse when we heard he wanted Stafford and Watson.

Let’s not act like Reich, Morgan and McCown were so afraid of Tepper that they couldn’t say anything. It’s not like a normal worker situation where we all could lose our house if we lost our job. We didn’t have NFL careers and if we did standing up for what we believe in our second life wouldn’t be hard.

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that everyone overall was OK with Young. If everyone outside of Tepper and Fitterer (he’s quoted saying he had Young #1 in 2021 too) wanted Stroud and they didn’t make their voice heard because they were scared then I’m glad they are gone and I hope we don’t keep them.

19 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Dan Morgan's experience in front offices go back before his current tenure here.  His work in these capacities is highly respected throughout the league. My comment about his as a player was more to the fact that he isn't a yes man. Seems many couldn't figure out that extremely difficult reading.b

Well, if he’s truly not a yes man then he didn’t do a good job either and again, his ex-player status doesn’t mean anything. Our 2022/2023 FA/trading for vets was pretty much poo and that’s why keeping him over a more proven/successful candidate makes no sense. If he wasn’t an ex-Panther, no one would bat an eye if he was gone because the total GM/scouting department has been poo for all 3 years.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Paychecks for coaches and I think GMs don’t matter when they have a contract and get paid whether they work or not.

Sorry, but the boss isn’t an ex-NFL coach or GM so it’s not the same. This place acts like Tepper is making every decision and yet we didn’t draft Fields who Tepper wanted and we didn’t make the Rams or Texans an offer they couldn’t refuse when we heard he wanted Stafford and Watson.

Let’s not act like Reich, Morgan and McCown were so afraid of Tepper that they couldn’t say anything. It’s not like a normal worker situation where we all could lose our house if we lost our job. We didn’t have NFL careers and if we did standing up for what we believe in our second life wouldn’t be hard.

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that everyone overall was OK with Young. If everyone outside of Tepper and Fitterer (he’s quoted saying he had Young #1 in 2021 too) wanted Stroud and they didn’t make their voice heard because they were scared then I’m glad they are gone and I hope we don’t keep them.

We did make a huge offer to the Lions: LA made a better one. Now we didn't make the franchise crippling one we did for Bryce, sure, but it's not like the Panthers didn't make a go at him. And I don't think Stafford wanted to come to Carolina and preferred to go to the Super Bowl contender, which fair. The Watson situation was complicated by other factors. 

I dunno people don't like being fired. You seem to think there's a level of success and financial security you get to where you just say "fug it" and for you and I their salary would obviously be it but that's not how humans process things and lifestyle creep is absolutely a thing.

Anyone Tepper hires will fail because he is a brilliant hedge fund manager that hubristically thinks those same talents translate to selecting draft picks and calling plays.  Until he gets out of the way, no coach or GM should even consider working for him.  I have loved the Panthers since ‘95 at Clemson and always will but Tepper is terrible……..and a Steelers fan. 

I merely pointed out the man that Dan Morgan is.  He's an alpha. Not a yes man. 

Was that so difficult to understand? 

Just because there has been failure and disappointment in the front office, doesn't mean you can paint every member with the same brush. That's stupidity on a level that just shouldn't exist. 

Edited by pantherclaw
  • Flames 1

If Dan Morgan wasn’t a yes man, and is this “alpha” dog, then that means he was an integral part of the past drafting failures, as well as the failures in free agency.

Im good on Dan Morgan here, but I do hope he moves on and does wonderful things. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, top dawg said:

I will say this. I've read (and heard on video) that there may be some growing steam for a Co-GM model with Morgan as one of the GMs. 

The problem for me is that it sounds eerily akin to the bullshit model we already had, just with different wrapping---different "convolutedness" if you will. Who is going to be the tiebreaker? We all know the answer.

If this happens, Tepper is so full of bullshit.

The Co-GM would work the way it does for other teams. One GM handles more personnel and the other does operations/player evaluation!

2 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

I merely pointed out the man that Dan Morgan is.  He's an alpha. Not a yes man. 

Was that so difficult to understand? 

Just because there has been failure and disappointment in the front office, doesn't mean you can paint every member with the same brush. That's stupidity on a level that just shouldn't exist. 

How do you know he is an alpha? WTF does that even mean? Are you saying he is a gorilla? 

7 hours ago, top dawg said:

I will say this. I've read (and heard on video) that there may be some growing steam for a Co-GM model with Morgan as one of the GMs. 

The problem for me is that it sounds eerily akin to the bullshit model we already had, just with different wrapping---different "convolutedness" if you will. Who is going to be the tiebreaker? We all know the answer.

If this happens, Tepper is so full of bullshit.

Not sure how many remember, but this would be something of a "back to the future" thing for us.

Jerry Richardson preferred a power split setup rather than a single GM. And right up till Marty Hurney, that's what we had.