• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kaye on what Morgan needs to do now

Mr. Scot

"Collaborative approach"  has been a big catchphrase for the Panthers ever since David Tepper bought the team.

It's also one of the factors behind the team's most recent downfall.

In his latest article for The Observer, Mike Kaye basically suggests that the "Appaloosa Way" needs to be sh-tcanned.

Excerpts:

ESTABLISH BOUNDARIES BETWEEN FRONT OFFICE, COACHING STAFF ... AND OWNERSHIP

While Morgan and the eventual head coach should share a mind toward roster building, there needs to be a line drawn in the sand when it comes to job responsibilities. The personnel department should handle offseason roster decisions, while the coaches should coach the players they are given. Input from both sides is important, but the reality is that the scouting staff is doing the majority of the leg work on evaluations and their expertise should be trusted. The same could be said for the depth chart with the coaching staff, as those coaches are working with the players within their system.

If the GM trusts his personnel department’s evaluations, Morgan should be the final say on free agency and the draft. If the coaching staff thinks a player fits their scheme and/or system better than a hand-picked player from the front office, then the coaches should win out with said player’s usage. Collaboration doesn’t need to be an every-task function. At some point, leaders need to lead within their functions and make important decisions on their own. As learned during the Matt Rhule and Frank Reich eras, the GM — when given the power to do so — needs to assert himself when it comes to roster movement. Tepper, in turn, should respect his new GM’s gumption and support the exec’s viewpoint. Tepper promoted Morgan for a reason.

• Pie 5

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The personnel department should handle offseason roster decisions, while the coaches should coach the players they are given. 

There's a Draft Day quote in there somewhere, I'm sure of it.  🙂

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

There's a Draft Day quote in there somewhere, I'm sure of it.  🙂

I mean, that's basically the traditional NFL structure.

The coaching staff creates the systems and determines the kind of players they need to run them.

The personnel department goes out on scouts players, then drafts or signs the best ones they feel fit the system.

The coaches coach them in their system, set the depth chart, make the game plans, etc.

Nothing really new there...

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper said he was going to do some "self reflection" after this year's disaster.

The hope is that somewhere in that process, yhe truth that he's the problem actually got through to him.

I hope so too but man that's one big thick overinflated skull for that to sink into.

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I hope the reason Tepper promoted Morgan was not because he will go along with whatever Tepper says and just agree with him. In my ideal world Tepper promoted Morgan to tell him to shut the hell up when Tepper is about to make a dumb move.

Hearing "get out of here" from an outsider may not carry the same weight vs hearing it from someone you're familiar with

Fingers crossed Dan has the ability to say it --- and Tepper has the humility to finally listen

• Beer 4

Regarding the structure...

His hiring is also a first step. He'll report to owner David Tepper, as will the next coach of the team...

The head coach reporting directly to the owner? 🤔

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1