• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can a QB be “fixed?”

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Young is 4” taller and 30lbs heavier. Any 5’10” or shorter guys that were terrible but turned it around that you can think of? 

Young was actually 6 foot even. A bunch of those guys were exaggerated back then. 

https://magazine.byu.edu/article/the-perspective-of-a-six-foot-quarterback/

I’m only 6 feet tall. My football card says 6-foot-2, and in shoes I really am 6-2, but it was a dream to be 6-2 because “6-foot” and “quarterback” don’t go together well in the NFL because everybody else is 6-5, 6-6, 6-7. 

He does go on to say it led to him not seeing many open WRs…

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Young was actually 6 foot even. A bunch of those guys were exaggerated back then. 

https://magazine.byu.edu/article/the-perspective-of-a-six-foot-quarterback/

I’m only 6 feet tall. My football card says 6-foot-2, and in shoes I really am 6-2, but it was a dream to be 6-2 because “6-foot” and “quarterback” don’t go together well in the NFL because everybody else is 6-5, 6-6, 6-7. 

He does go on to say it led to him not seeing many open WRs…

He was a true outlier but still quite a bit bigger. B Young looks like 5'8" or 5'9". I think we are finding out why a QB that short and slight has never really had success in the NFL. 

Just now, Shotgun said:

He was a true outlier but still quite a bit bigger. B Young looks like 5'8" or 5'9". I think we are finding out why a QB that short and slight has never really had success in the NFL. 

He is 5’10” and some change. They measure them now in front of everyone. I’m curious to see if he bulks up some this offseason like CMC did. That really could help him a lot. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He is 5’10” and some change. They measure them now in front of everyone. I’m curious to see if he bulks up some this offseason like CMC did. That really could help him a lot. 

There's really no reason not to. If BY enters the season looking exactly the same physically I'll pretty much be checked out on his future as a starting QB. You can't be a #1 pick and have the season he just had and do nothing in that aspect.

• Pie 1

You guys are miserable. lol   He is not BROKEN.  The offense was and he contributed.

Young can easily still be a good player in this league.  Average NFL arm.  But when given time was incredibly accurate.  He hit the open receiver when there was one.    
We hardly ran any play action, bootlegs, jet sweep action.   All of that will allow him to isolate matchups and have a quicker and easier read.  

Those are all the things Bryce can excel at.    Just need Morgan to work some OL/WR magic (and maybe some better injury luck)

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Virgil Carter with the Bengals. Dan Fouts with the Chargers. Steve Young with the 49ers. Brett Favre with the Packers. Kurt Warner with the Rams. Matt Hasselbeck with the Seahawks. Drew Brees with the Saints. Nick Foles with the Eagles. There's many more.

Just about every successful QB has had to change their mechanics. The key is finding a QB whisperer with leadership qualities & extend his impact as a WR/TE coach while demonstrating an ability to make in game adjustments.

No.

Most of those guys had solid mechanics right from the start.  Cleats in the ground, lined up, weight transfer.  Favre was the most questionable, but he had probably the best arm in NFL history and even with that, he knew how to line up his body with the throw.  Those guys didn't need to be "fixed".  They did need some time to figure it out mentally.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

There's really no reason not to. If BY enters the season looking exactly the same physically I'll pretty much be checked out on his future as a starting QB. You can't be a #1 pick and have the season he just had and do nothing in that aspect.

By all reports, the kid is an incredibly hard worker.  And we know he was pissed how the season went.  I'm sure he will work on his body.  His frame will limit it for sure but I bet he can put on 5-10 pounds pretty easily.

1 minute ago, jamos14 said:

By all reports, the kid is an incredibly hard worker.  And we know he was pissed how the season went.  I'm sure he will work on his body.  His frame will limit it for sure but I bet he can put on 5-10 pounds pretty easily.

He has had elite coaching since middle school.  He has had personal coaches since high school.  He has had access to elite training programs since high school.  But this is the year he dedicates himself to get bigger and stronger and corrects his mechanics.  

• Pie 2

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

He has had elite coaching since middle school.  He has had personal coaches since high school.  He has had access to elite training programs since high school.  But this is the year he dedicates himself to get bigger and stronger and corrects his mechanics.  

You don't bulk up at 16.   

He's 22.  Adults can bulk significantly more easily.  They will have hour limits with training, practice, etc at NCAA.  His entire life right now is to fix those problems.

And Alabama (and Reich) clearly didn't try to fix his footwork.  Throwing mechanics are fine.  

No reason to even discuss with you.  There isn't one thing that can be said that will even allow you to slightly open your mind.

I'm not saying he's gonna be amazing but damn, give the kid a chance to improve.  He's going to be the QB anyway so you might as well hope he works on the problems.  

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Martin said:

The hard part with Bryce is that we essentially have to completely break him down and re-build him. That is something you do with a late round pick, not the #1 pick. Still blows my mind the whole thing

Like what?  

The only thing IMO is crappy footwork.   His throwing motion is ok.  Weight transfer comes with better footwork.

Fixed?  Or do you want to call it rehabbed?

Geno Smith was a 2nd round pick who hadn't done much in the NFL until two years ago, then he blew up.  Baker had a solid career in Cleveland, but the team wanted to move on to DeShaun Watson...  Then he goes and has a great season, and will get paid thank to being rehabbed.

There are plenty of stories of QBs getting rehabbed by better coaches and situations.  Canales has experience doing that.  Everything I read and watch about him says he very could be the coach we've been searching for, even if it takes a few years for him to learn to HC properly.  Maybe that 6 year contract is a sign that there will be more patience with him.

Now about Bryce, maybe.  As much as I want him to do well, because he's our QB, every story is different.  The size queens here are going to point out you cant teach height and arm rocket.  Which is true.  But I think we can all agree that you can't really teach fundamental accuracy, competitive fire, and work ethic.  I think Bryce has those traits, some of you disagree.  That's fine.  We have no clue what this season is going to be.

I want to see my team succeed.  I have no ego in being internet right.  If they fail, it's OK.  I'm a fan, not a stockholder.  The Panthers under Tepper have burned us as fans time and time again.  It's completely fair to be VERY skeptical.  Because it's fun, I'm going to have SOME hope.  I'd rather look forward to possible success and dwell in the doldrums of "we're always going to suck."  Fan how you want to fan.

• Pie 5

Bright side first-

The good thing is that he seems tough as nails, thin frame be damned.  His biggest strengths are finding a rhythm when moving quickly on his feet, plays out of structure, & exhibiting creativity when a play may brake down. Had some great moments in the second half of the GB game.  

He can be a strong game manager for a playoff caliber team.  He's in the Purdy/Tua/Mac Jones strength range with his power.  However, in that reality, and right now, he's got loose, unconventional footwork that can make it appear worse.  He's in that 25ish of 32 starters range.  Those guys CAN be successful -- we just don't have that transcendent full-package situation here.   

The bigger problem is that his loose, non-traditional dropbacks are second nature at this point.  It would take a lot to correct and he's already a year into his professional career.  He did it throughout his tenure at Bama, and I'd imagine pre-collegiate as well. 

It's just the way he does it at this point.  And he'll continue to be a bit late on mid-range throws because of it. 

The exact critique:

• He doesn't drop back with enough decisiveness, quickness and to a proper depth to create a clearing & lanes of vision. This is critical for someone his height.  The easiest way to see this is how DEs are often already behind him when he sets in the gun.  Even when Icky fell apart, that shouldn't be the case.   You've got a 5-7 yard head start.    
  • He doesn't set properly or consistently, and he's even inconsistent in his non-traditional drops.  A lot of scouts tried to call this his "Steph Curry/Point Guard" style, but others (including annonymous scouts pre-draft) pointed out that it's a mechanical detriment.  He walks back parallel to the LOS and then makes a quick jump skip to set.  And because of how slow that is, it throws off weight distribution, guys are at the top of their route early, the pocket is cluttered, and his balls can flutter even if accurate and read well.         

For those points, I don't no how you teach it out of him.  I mean, that's the stuff you teach a guy when he's learning the position early on.  

This is simply how he plays.  It doesn't mean he can't be successful, but it will take a lot to build a winnable framework around it.  If you want to deem it broken, then he's always been broken.

• Flames 1