• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Doubling down on Young. I don't like it. We NEED Young insurance.

top dawg

I think the nature of a super high QB pick just means we’re gonna double down for 1 more year no matter what.

im ok with it as long as they have plans to move on, struggling rookies usually don’t turn it around to be a franchise QB in my experience and Young was pretty bad 

• Pie 1

Just now, Donald LaFell said:

I think the nature of a super high QB pick just means we’re gonna double down for 1 more year no matter what.

im ok with it as long as they have plans to move on, struggling rookies usually don’t turn it around to be a franchise QB in my experience and Young was pretty bad 

Even if I believe that Young can be a starter, is his ceiling that of the first overall pick? If the answer is "no," we're wasting time IMO. We're hoping that in a perfect world that we'll be able to build a team around him and drop someone else in to get the job done. That rarely works as planned.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There is no reason to spend even more draft capital or money on ANOTHER QB when we are not 1 QB away from being competitive.

We stick with Young one more year.

Also, I don't think he's as much of a lost cause as you seem to. His decision-making is not as bad as you say, he actually learned throughout the season (Case in point the 2nd Falcons game where he bated Bates on numerous throws so he wouldn't get picked again) and his escapability got better as the season went on and he got used to the game speed of the NFL. The line played like crap, receivers played like crap, the scheme was crap, no one looked good.

It's a big fat N/A for damn near everyone on offense, but no, the backup plan should be the backup QB, which is Dalton, who is a damn good backup and we don't need to waste more assets on another.

If Young shows no improvement next season then we move on and draft a new QB in 2025.

I disagree. You draft the BPA. If he happens to be a QB, then sobeit. You shouldn't willy-nilly skip potentially talented signal callers because you're "not a QB away." You should build as the players come. 

Moreover, Young arguably regressed towards the end of the season, not got better.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah you eventually have to stop throwing QBs at the problem and praying it works out. Spend our assets on building an actual offense first. See if Young can develop and then make your decision on him this next offseason. If he is as bad as people are claiming on here then we should have a top pick in 25 to replace him. 

Building an offense and acquiring another prospect at QB aren't mutually exclusive. They just aren't. 

Edited by top dawg

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

And don't get me wrong @Ricky Spanish I get what You're saying, but you're essentially speaking in absolutes, like it's a sin to invest in a QB while you have a QB. I don't agree with that notion.

I think we just have too many holes everywhere else. If there is some crazy value at QB later in the draft then sure, but we have a lot of issues right now we need to fix before throwing a different QB at it again. So it’s not a true BPA, but more of a value chart with the QB position nerfed down quite a bit. 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There is no reason to spend even more draft capital or money on ANOTHER QB when we are not 1 QB away from being competitive.

We stick with Young one more year.

Also, I don't think he's as much of a lost cause as you seem to. His decision-making is not as bad as you say, he actually learned throughout the season (Case in point the 2nd Falcons game where he bated Bates on numerous throws so he wouldn't get picked again) and his escapability got better as the season went on and he got used to the game speed of the NFL. The line played like crap, receivers played like crap, the scheme was crap, no one looked good.

It's a big fat N/A for damn near everyone on offense, but no, the backup plan should be the backup QB, which is Dalton, who is a damn good backup and we don't need to waste more assets on another.

If Young shows no improvement next season then we move on and draft a new QB in 2025.

We scored 0 points in the final 2 games. How did he learn and improve again?

I've never known such a poor player get so much support. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I disagree. You draft the BPA. If he happens to be a QB, then sobeit. You shouldn't willy-nilly skip potentially talented signal callers because you're "not a QB away." You should build as the players come. 

Moreover, Young arguably regressed towards the end of the season, not got better.

You don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I know there's a large contingent that hates Young and never wants to see him again.  Unfortunately, that's not how this is going to work.  The team as a whole stunk and not one single person was going to change that. His last shot will be under better circumstances, hopefully, where EVERYONE should be evaluated for the future here. There will be another qb signed this offseason but they will not be competition for Young.  That will come in 2025 if the suck continues.  If he doesn't improve as the season goes on he will be benched for Dalton until the season is over most likely. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

We really don't, though.

Bryce is his own insurance. What I mean by that is if he continues to struggle next year it will likely ensure we're in position to take another QB high in 2025.

Why mess that up by investing more draft capital (or cap space) in another QB who is unlikely to be "the guy" even if Bryce doesn't pan out?

• Pie 6

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Building an offense and acquiring another prospect at QB aren't mutually exclusive. They just aren't. 

We have replaced our QB every year Tepper has been here without much success. Now we have a young QB we invested a ton of assets into that struggled in our offense. Before throwing more assets at that position we need to do everything in our power to create a decent offense to better evaluate these QBs. If we had a better offense like the Bucs when Baker was here we would probably be rolling with him right now and have all of those Young picks to use plus DJ. OL needs fixed, WR needs a WR1 and probably WR2, we need a TE, could use a RB that can catch the ball, LBs, another pass rusher, NT, CB2 and hope Horn can stay healthy.  I can’t comprehend using yet another asset in a QB and hoping it works for the what??? Teddy, Sam, Baker, Corral, Young 6th time in 4 years? 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1