• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Doubling down on Young. I don't like it. We NEED Young insurance.

top dawg

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Even if I believe that Young can be a starter, is his ceiling that of the first overall pick? If the answer is "no," we're wasting time IMO. We're hoping that in a perfect world that we'll be able to build a team around him and drop someone else in to get the job done. That rarely works as planned.

I definitely agree. I don’t want to be apathetic but I hope we can just not swing for the fences this offseason but also get better? Maybe try to help Young too? 

For a new coach maybe we can go heavy on short term vet FAs he likes then focus on O line in the draft. 

I agree we are probably wasting time but I just feel like 2 years is always the plan with a rookie QB like that. Young is very mature/smart and no doubt a hard worker so I assume they’ll try to keep investing in him for this built in wasted year. 

I totally agree though I would love if they decided a 5’10” gun-shy QB probably won’t work out and move on. I can’t wait to have a tall strong armed QB again. I feel for Young but I hope he can hold his head high regardless. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

We really don't, though.

Bryce is his own insurance. What I mean by that is if he continues to struggle next year it will likely ensure we're in position to take another QB high in 2025.

Why mess that up by investing more draft capital (or cap space) in another QB who is unlikely to be "the guy" even if Bryce doesn't pan out?

I agree 100%. Throw in some mid vet or draft pick that wins a few meaningless games at the end causing us to miss the next QB in the draft and see how the fans react. 

• Pie 3

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

And don't get me wrong @Ricky Spanish I get what You're saying, but you're essentially speaking in absolutes, like it's a sin to invest in a QB while you have a QB. I don't agree with that notion.

I think we need a veteran QB to steady the ship while we try to stop the bleeding. 

Asking Nix / McCarthy / Penix to come in at 33 and start winning straight away is foolish. 

• Pie 2

22 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah you eventually have to stop throwing QBs at the problem and praying it works out. Spend our assets on building an actual offense first. See if Young can develop and then make your decision on him this next offseason. If he is as bad as people are claiming on here then we should have a top pick in 25 to replace him. 

I don't know if you've looked at the '25 QB Draft class, but it's not the year to want a QB. 

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

I don't know if you've looked at the '25 QB Draft class, but it's not the year to want a QB. 

A lot can change. Remember you thought Van Dyke was the next great thing after his freshman year. How does he look now?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

We have replaced our QB every year Tepper has been here without much success. Now we have a young QB we invested a ton of assets into that struggled in our offense. Before throwing more assets at that position we need to do everything in our power to create a decent offense to better evaluate these QBs. If we had a better offense like the Bucs when Baker was here we would probably be rolling with him right now and have all of those Young picks to use plus DJ. OL needs fixed, WR needs a WR1 and probably WR2, we need a TE, could use a RB that can catch the ball, LBs, another pass rusher, NT, CB2 and hope Horn can stay healthy.  I can’t comprehend using yet another asset in a QB and hoping it works for the what??? Teddy, Sam, Baker, Corral, Young 6th time in 4 years? 

I understand, though I will say that the situations are different. For me, the only legitimate investment we've made in trying to acquire a franchise QB is Young---maybe Corral depending on your perspective. The rest weren't really investments per se, but Band-Aids. On an off note, I still wouldn't want any of those Band-Aids.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I understand, though I will say that the situations are different. For me, the only legitimate investment we've made in trying to acquire a franchise QB is Young---maybe Corral depending on your perspective. The rest weren't really investments per se, but Band-Aids. On an off note, I still wouldn't want any of those Band-Aids.

We paid Teddy dumb money, traded picks for Darnold and then picked up his 5th year while passing on Fields. Baker didn’t really set us back but Darnold certainly did. If we didn’t trade for Darnold you could be looking at Fields, CMC, DJ Moore, plus any other picks/ assets we put around them right now, plus all the Young picks back. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Looks like Sanders, Leonard, Ward, Beck, Ewers so far and who knows who has a breakout year. People are also high on that A&M QB, but like I said a lot can change in a year…

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

They were investments in terms of draft picks for sure

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I think we need a veteran QB to steady the ship while we try to stop the bleeding. 

Asking Nix / McCarthy / Penix to come in at 33 and start winning straight away is foolish. 

Personally, I wouldn't think that anyone can come in here and win immediately. More than two games though, and look better than Bryce doing it, or push him to look better doing it, would be good enough for me.

3 minutes ago, csx said:

It's been like a day. We have no idea what they will do and they've not formulated a draft board and strategy.  

Maybe wait to freak out

Why does everything have to be "freak out" with you? If course we must wait to see what they're going to do, but in the meantime I'm discussing things that I'd like them to do. Imagine that.

• Pie 1

When you draft a QB you’re going to put the infrastructure in place to allow him to develop. There may be a show me the baby component with the fan base who dismiss poor offensive line play, a lack of explosiveness at the skill positions, an antiquated offense that doesn’t cater to the player’s skill set, but providing these things isn’t “doubling down” it’s singling down.

And as always, the boom or bust nature of rookie qbs is part of the appeal.

if Young doesn’t develop over the next season or two, the panthers will be in a prime position to draft another QB high instead of returning to qb purgatory with the veteran band aids that perpetually tantalize everyone here so much. 

• Pie 1