• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Doubling down on Young. I don't like it. We NEED Young insurance.

top dawg

2 minutes ago, csx said:

They were investments in terms of draft picks for sure

They were train wrecks waiting to happen, and they did. 

Personally, I thought that the Darnold deal was awful. I also wasn't too keen on trading draft capital to get to one (and said so). Tepper talked about spending resources willy-nilly---like there was going to be a paradigm shift in regards to the way we handled dealing away draft picks once he fired Rhule. Then, what does he do? He goes out and not only spends draft capital, but throws in our most talented receiver to boot. 

This is a fantastic draft to snag a high potential 2nd or 3rd round pick QB but our draft capital is lower and our needs are insanely high.

I doubt you see any investment in the QB. They are pot committed on Bryce. We will wait until we have to make a huge trade up again and in a far weaker draft.

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

This is a fantastic draft to snag a high potential 2nd or 3rd round pick QB but our draft capital is lower and our needs are insanely high.

I doubt you see any investment in the QB. They are pot committed on Bryce. We will wait until we have to make a huge trade up again and in a far weaker draft.

Look, I know that you're probably right about an investment in a QB (hence the title), but I still don't like it.

Bryce out there throwing off his back foot and trying to escape the pocket like Cam without the power and athleticism. He's throwing what amounts to wounded ducks and getting downed by finger tackles. And I used to criticize Cam for his decision-making...Boy I was jumping out the frying pan into the fire and just didn't know it.

• Pie 1

While I don't nesscesarily like hiring a coach to focus mostly on one posistion,  qb is clearly what makes the most difference on a team.   I dont see it as doubling down on Young though.   I see it as doubling down on the qb position while giving Young every chance to improve and succeed.   If he doesnt at all this year then he will replaced with the early draft pick and we will still hacw a "qb whisperer" in position to coach new qb as well an also offer input on what skillset he wants in a qb.

Tldr its doubling down on the qb position but not nesscesarily Bryce.   Hes going to get first opportunity though.

• Pie 4

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

There are some guys down the board that are gaining traction from the draft analyst types. Michael Pratt out of Tulane is one of them.  Depending on how the offseason goes, if hes BPA in the 4th/5th I think it's a wise investment.  IF anything you have a backup when Dalton moves on after the season.  He has enough tools to push someone during camp. 

• Beer 1

39 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You draft the BPA.

No team ever drafts pure BRA. They always consider their needs. Unfortunately for the fanbase, and despite what a lot of the fanbase thinks, the Panthers need upgrades everywhere and not just another QB. They also have limited draft capital to get these upgrades through the draft. Charlotte has never been a big free agent destination either, and is probably even less of one now, so they've got that working against them too.

Young will get this coming season to show if he can develop and be the guy or not. Same goes for Mingo. Odds are that Ickey gets another season at LT. Hopefully the Oline scheme will play more to his(and the other Olinemen's strengths) or they at least give Ickey some help, which he has needed his entire career so far.

But back to Young. The team has invested a lot into him and will give him every opportunity to succeed. Hopefully, Canales is a QB whisperer and can get the most out of him. That's the quickest way for the team to find success and start winning. People need to accept that Young gets at least this coming season and get over it. The other two options are to keep hate watching and whining about him or simply not watch.

If I gambled, my money would be on the whining and hate watching, especially the whining.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

While I don't nesscesarily like hiring a coach to focus mostly on one posistion,  qb is clearly what makes the most difference on a team.   I dont see it as doubling down on Young though.   I see it as doubling down on the qb position while giving Young every chance to improve and succeed.   If he doesnt at all this year then he will replaced with the early draft pick and we will still hacw a "qb whisperer" in position to coach new qb as well an also offer input on what skillset he wants in a qb.

Tldr its doubling down on the qb position but not nesscesarily Bryce.   Hes going to get first opportunity though.

I can appreciate that...I really can...but if Nix is the BPA on day two or three, or Rattler is the BPA on day three, if it were up to me we'd really be doubling down on the QB position.

Edited by top dawg

Just now, Daddy_Uncle said:

We will probably have the #1 pick in 2025. Try to build an offense and get the top qb then

Shedeur Sanders is looking to be the "top pick" so far in that draft.  Which is totally premature because its gonna be a 2 man race between Carson Beck and Drew Allar/Quin Ewers

49 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree 100%. Throw in some mid vet or draft pick that wins a few meaningless games at the end causing us to miss the next QB in the draft and see how the fans react. 

But y'all are just assuming that a high pick in 2025 is going to get it done, while skipping an ultimately more talented guy in 2024. Don't be surprised if it isn't 2026 or 27 until we draft someone that's worth a damn, and that's if we aren't in QB purgatory and likely have to spend draft capital and important players to move up again. 

Edited by top dawg

1 minute ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Is Dalton not coming back?

For a season. And even assuming, beyond his contract, that he will be back is a bit of a stretch to me.  He could find legitimate work elsewhere beyond holding a clipboard while they force the issue with BY.