• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cap 2024

musicman

According to Spotrac.com we are 13th in the league at 31M. Texans are 4th with 61M (wow, they could be dangerous for a while). Anyway Burns is not listed. Do you tag and trade or give a long term deal? You still need to sign Luvu too as he's not listed. Tops is Moton which could get a new extension (he's at a 29M hit) so maybe we save 10M with a new deal. He deserves a longer deal (great player and person too). Next is Donte at 15M so maybe he takes less to stay because of the injuries? Derrick Brown is at 11.6M but it should stay around the same (for 2024) with a new deal that he clearly deserves. Otherwise there are no easy cuts that save big chunks without the equal post June 1 cut cap hit. 

So, you got Maybe 40Mil in cap room, what do you do? Who can you possibly get without blowing it all? You really can't do too many of those 8-10 mil 1 year deals. 

Probably stay the course with the O-line now that they'll be healthy (you don't have the money). Need a WR (at least 1 top end) and TE. Defense needs a really good pass rusher (Burns or someone else). 3 top priorities for an instant impact player with limited money and no 1st round pick. Then there's a bunch of areas after that.

We need to build through the draft.

Cannot afford any big time FA's and we are deffo not in win now mode. The only thing we should consider is if a top LT or G would become available. Icky is in a make or break LT year else he will get kicked inside to G.

Of current players we need to sign Brown and Luvu to long term deals.

• Pie 4

Brown is the only priority, everyone else is negotiable.  At this point you have to tag and trade Burns.   Dudes normally show out in contract years and he simply did not.  We've seen him in a 3-4 and 4-3 and  he produces the same results.  His 2022 season was his best, but still not superstar quality.

Luvu should sign a reasonable deal. No issues there. Jackson can renegotiate his contract be traded or cut, I really don't care.

We draft a couple of WRs and sign a decent FA TE.  The OL, if healthy, should be given one more chance with a new scheme and OL coach.  The starters are still all under contract, I believe.  No need to bust the cap with big name FAs for competition sake.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Memphis said:

We need to build through the draft.

Cannot afford any big time FA's and we are deffo not in win now mode. The only thing we should consider is if a top LT or G would become available. Icky is in a make or break LT year else he will get kicked inside to G.

Of current players we need to sign Brown and Luvu to long term deals.

Yep. Let’s be honest, we were the worst team in football and our QB would take a miracle to get better and we don’t have our 1st this year and 2nd in 2025.

Spending on short term FAs (like we have since Marty 2.0 in 2018) is putting lipstick on a pig. Roll some cap over so in 2026 we can splurge.

Texans, Lions and Rams are all examples of pretty quick turn arounds in the past couple seasons from the draft. Texans and Rams had huge hauls in 2023. One big difference with them and us is that they had/found their QBs.

We need to hit it in the draft. It’s just that simple and until then cap space should stay large to have a mountain once we’ve built up some young talent. My main worry is that we hired from within a horrific front office for our talent evaluations. We needed to gut our scouting because let’s be honest, the draft the past 3 years is 100% of the reason why we suck.

• Pie 1

I would just extend Burns, Brown, and Moton and re sign Luvu. We went shopping in FA last year and it didn't get us nowhere so lest just accept our lumps this year and try to get some help through the draft by trading down and getting more picks to build the team. But I can also see them going and trying to kick the cap down the road and trying to bring in Bryce some weapons so we can get a proper evaluation on him to see if he's gonna be the guy going forward. 

54 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Brown is the only priority, everyone else is negotiable. 

Luvu should sign a reasonable deal. No issues there. Jackson can renegotiate his contract be traded or cut, I really don't care.

Brown is the priority. Luvu I'd like back, especially if we tag and trade Burns. Idk about a reasonable deal though. Iirc, Luvu is the top LB on the market (per pff). I don't think he's a secret anymore. 

Interestingly, Devin White is avialable (Tampa connection).

I'd love to see Luvu paired with Azeez Al-Shaair but that's probably a pipe dream. All of that said, one of those three should be in Panthers uniform next season. 

• Pie 1

Just please don’t hand out any stupid contracts and overpay just cause we suck. Tremble looked decent last half of season. Maybe he can continue to build.  Unfortunately Hurst contract has too much dead money to cut this year but should be a no brainer next season. Keeping Brown and Luvu are the most important parts as we build out the culture. Low key need to extend Ish Smith Marsette. Our 2nd and 3rd round picks just need to be day one contributors as we build through the draft. I’m all for tag and trade for Burns Aswell.  Outside of a pass rush he doesn’t bring much ,so not worth what he’s asking for.

7 hours ago, PappyMay said:

Just please don’t hand out any stupid contracts and overpay just cause we suck. Tremble looked decent last half of season. Maybe he can continue to build.  Unfortunately Hurst contract has too much dead money to cut this year but should be a no brainer next season. Keeping Brown and Luvu are the most important parts as we build out the culture. Low key need to extend Ish Smith Marsette. Our 2nd and 3rd round picks just need to be day one contributors as we build through the draft. I’m all for tag and trade for Burns Aswell.  Outside of a pass rush he doesn’t bring much ,so not worth what he’s asking for.

Can we just cut Ian Thomas lol that's all I ask

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, musicman said:

According to Spotrac.com we are 13th in the league at 31M. Texans are 4th with 61M (wow, they could be dangerous for a while). Anyway Burns is not listed. Do you tag and trade or give a long term deal? You still need to sign Luvu too as he's not listed. Tops is Moton which could get a new extension (he's at a 29M hit) so maybe we save 10M with a new deal. He deserves a longer deal (great player and person too). Next is Donte at 15M so maybe he takes less to stay because of the injuries? Derrick Brown is at 11.6M but it should stay around the same (for 2024) with a new deal that he clearly deserves. Otherwise there are no easy cuts that save big chunks without the equal post June 1 cut cap hit. 

So, you got Maybe 40Mil in cap room, what do you do? Who can you possibly get without blowing it all? You really can't do too many of those 8-10 mil 1 year deals. 

Probably stay the course with the O-line now that they'll be healthy (you don't have the money). Need a WR (at least 1 top end) and TE. Defense needs a really good pass rusher (Burns or someone else). 3 top priorities for an instant impact player with limited money and no 1st round pick. Then there's a bunch of areas after that.

Spotrac also lets you make changes and shows you how it affects the cap - so a couple of points to help the conversations:

First - Derrick Brown is still under contract, so his $11.6M is included in the $31M - an extension will not affect that unless they renegotiate this year as a part of the new deal, which is unlikely.

If we restructure the 7 guys who have the option we can save an additional $20M - Moton is $6.5M of that.  Cutting Ian Thomas can save us another $2.2M which I would ove to see if we can't trade him for a late rounder.

If we cut or trade keep in mind it has negative impacts on the salary cap - for this year and future.  We have $3.9M against us in 2024 because of Justin Houston....a guy we just released so he could go somewhere else and we got penalized.  CMC cost us huge last year even though we traded him.  So we have to be careful with the cap on cuts and trades.

For me I would love to see us work on trades for Marshall, Sanders, Thomas, Burns, Jackson

Biggest resignees we have are Burns, Luvu, Franklin, Henderson, Grugier-Hill, Gross-Matos, Smith-Marsette, Shenault