• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wireless 5G Internet

Paa Langfart

Does anyone here use it?  My monopoly local IP is raising their rates shortly and I have been reading about T mobiles 5G service for $60 a month.  Just wondering what someone who has it or knows someone who does thinks .  What are the down side/upside ?

I despise Spectrum and fired them (internet+cable TV) for T-Mobile Wireless 5G-Home-Internet service for $50/mo, including all taxes, etc...

THE GOOD:  The process of transitioning was mostly seamless, and the equipment T-Mobile sent me was of high quality.

THE BAD:  The service/product delivered is HIGHLY inconsistent, frankly, overall it sucks.  When the stars align it works beautifully but that's less than 40% of the time.  I ran repeated speed tests where the results returned indicated speeds in-line with the "browser" on a flip-phone from Trac-Phone 😄🤘.

Ultimately I cancelled and went back to Spectrum for internet-only...$55/mo, taxes/tag/title included.

That + YoutTubeTV almost gets me back to what I was paying Spectrum for internet+cable  but the incredible flexibility of YouTubeTV is well worth the $80/mo and the untility I receive from the product is 3X the price I am charged -- and my expectations are insanely high.

If you can access one of the fiber providers I'm told that's the way to go -- fiber service is not availble in my neighborhood.

Cheers...

• Pie 1

the house we currently rent in only offers AT&T as the internet provider, spectrum is in the area but the house was not wired up for a coax cable and thus in order to get spectrum we would have to dig a huge hole in our yard (which isn't our yard) to lay the new cabling. 

AT&T's fastest internet speed they can offer with this old wiring is only 30 mbps which in today's world just isn't good enoug

my wife, is brilliant as she is, found out about AT&T's 5g internet option was available. Currently getting 129 mbps and it's often faster. Oh and get this it's the same price as the 30 mbps. 

For us it was a no brainer and has been a life saver as my wife works from home and I love to play video games online

• Pie 1

I live in the county and options are limited. A few months back I cut the cable from DirecTv and am totally streaming now. There were some hiccups and I called my ISP, got an upgraded modem/router and I have no problems at all.

I did look into 5G, but unless you have a cell tower in your backyard, the same issues that plague DirecTv in bad weather also hamper 5G service, and the further you are from a tower, the worse the issues are. Given the price difference between what I have now (working fine) and 5G, less than $10/month, I'll stick with what I've got.

• Pie 1

5G Home Internet is only going to be as good as 5G cell service in your area. And a cell connection is never going to be as reliable as a wired connection.

Doesn't matter how good the wifi setup is inside the house, it's all about the connection from the router base to the outside signal.

As others have said, weather is just one of many variables that could affect things.

is it a reasonable good idea?  Sure.  Will it work for everyone? Possibly, or not.

• Pie 1

I've had it for about 9 months and it serves my purposes just fine.  I stream up to 3 tvs at a time and my children play games online.  In the 9 months I've had it I had 3 instances where I had connection issues with my streaming and once it reconnected it was fine.  My router usually only has 3 to 4 bars, I've placed it upstairs in the central part of the house next to a window.  This is just my experience and others that I know that have it have complained about issues, especially gaming.  Sk if it's just streaming and work then it's probably fine, if you game a lot it might be slow.

• Pie 1

I live in an area with no wired internet available except dsl or satellite internet.  We had DSL and it was terrible.  We had us cellular for phone service and I switched to their 4glte internet.  Was better than the dsl but nothing special.

Saw an add saying tmobile had 5g ultra capacity at my address.  Signed up.  Has worked great for us.  I was so pleased I switched all my phones to them too.  That service is much better too.

We are across the open river from the cell towers which is why I think we get such a good signal.

I am very happy with it.

• Pie 2