• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this the worst GM/Coach combo in Panthers history?

TheBigKat

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You're off on your results, though.

In the draft where we had 11 picks, we got Horn, Christensen, Hubbard and Tremble, all still with the team and all made contributions last year except Christensen (who even despite that might be the best pick of that class). Others like Shi Smith put in some work as well (still surprised he didn't stay given he would have been perfect for a West Coast type attack).

As to how you draft badly, making it a collaborative effort helps a lot. In that draft we got Terrace Marshall because Joe Brady lobbied for him, Thomas Fletcher thanks to Rhule and others. Likewise, we later took Matt Corral because of Ben Mcadoo, DJ Johnson because Ejiro Evero wanted him, Kalin Barnes again from Rhule, and so on.

Fitterer's biggest failure was rooted in taking a too collaborative approach with everyone rather than just making the picks straight from the draft board the scouting staff put together.

Mind you, the one big "flipside" argument could be Stroud vs Young, depending on what you believe.

I'm clearly being a bit facetious here.    

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sure, dude.

Pretty much everybody knows Rhule is a lying narcissist. Voth (who would have been there) basically called bullsh-t on his claim. But if you wanna try and defend Rhule on this one, good luck.

It's dumb, but good luck anyway.

what exactly did Voth say?

One of the biggest problems with this forum and certain members is that everyone wants to take everything so literal.

Some "connected" journalist states that Rhule had final say and then next thing you know everything was his fault and nothing was Fitt's fault.  That isn't how these things work.  I doubt Rhule is doing all of the day to day scouting himself and putting the board together by himself.

What is more likely is that Fitt and his department does the scouting and puts together the board and then on draft day Rhule does have final say.  It's totally possible that Rhule did throw out Purdy's name at some point in the process and its totally possible they decided not to have him on the draft board.

It's pretty clear he didn't like him enough to push that hard for him, because if he would have had the much conviction, I'm sure he could have made it happen.  

I'm not absolving Rhule in all of these draft day decisions, there is enough blame to go around for everyone.  My only point is the truth is usually somewhere towards the middle.

As fans we always want to know who to blame, but it's not always that black and white.  Even if the HC makes the decision he is picking from a list that the GM put together.  It's not like the GM is offering up choices that he thinks is bad.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sure, dude.

Pretty much everybody knows Rhule is a lying narcissist. Voth (who would have been there) basically called bullsh-t on his claim. But if you wanna try and defend Rhule on this one, good luck.

It's dumb, but good luck anyway.

Defending and carrying water for Fitterer is easily just as dumb but good luck anyway.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fitterer's biggest failure was rooted in taking a too collaborative approach with everyone rather than just making the picks straight from the draft board the scouting staff put together.

I mean... What proof of this is there exactly? Because a coach wanted a dude? That doesn't mean that the scouts / Fitterer didn't.

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

I mean... What proof of this is there exactly? Because a coach wanted a dude? That doesn't mean that the scouts / Fitterer didn't.

It was initially reported at the time of the draft picks themselves, but not in a negative way. It wasn't considered a defense, just a way of explaining how they worked.

Since Fitterer was fired, three or four different analysts have looked back on it and seen it as an issue.

And for the record, it's not a defense now either. Working that way was his decision. It basically worked out to drafting by committee (which is objectively a terrible idea).

• Pie 1