• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 49ers Super Bowl problem

kungfoodude

Which of these statements is the MOST true:

1. Kyle Shanahan is a choker.

2. The 49ers lack an elite QB.

3. Wrong place, wrong time. Mahomes is possibly the GOAT(TBD, also he lost to Brady).

Or what are the other obvious problems? Objectively, they are/were insanely more talent stacked than KC this year.

Defintiely more talented on offense but on defense I think SF's names are perhaps bigger, but the Chiefs were just as good, if not even better, all season.  Mahomes ultimately has the ability to overcome star defenses in many cases, while Purdy perhaps does not. Shanhan also shot the team in the foot yet again and gave away a winnable game. 

Overall comes down to Mahomes, with a weapon like Kelce, being able to elevate the overall offense and overcome the defensive challenge with the chips down vs SF's gassed defense. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Which of these statements is the MOST true:

1. Kyle Shanahan is a choker.

2. The 49ers lack an elite QB.

3. Wrong place, wrong time. Mahomes is possibly the GOAT(TBD, also he lost to Brady).

Or what are the other obvious problems? Objectively, they are/were insanely more talent stacked than KC this year.

I think Shannahan has the choker label because he hasn't had an elite QB and is forced to run the ball to have success.  But his play calling stye gets away from the run game too easily.  Especially when it's working.

SF wins last night if CMC had 30 carries (which is a lot) but Purdy wasn't doing anything unless a receiver was wide open.  Purdy 38 throws is stupid!    CMC was gashing them all night.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Defintiely more talented on offense but on defense I think SF's names are perhaps bigger, but the Chiefs were just as good, if not even better, all season.  Mahomes ultimately has the ability to overcome star defenses in many cases, while Purdy perhaps does not. Shanhan also shot the team in the foot yet again and gave away a winnable game. 

Overall comes down to Mahomes, with a weapon like Kelce, being able to elevate the overall offense and overcome the defensive challenge with the chips down vs SF's gassed defense. 

Yeah, I think ultimately it boils down to having a truly elite player at the most important position on the football field vs. having potentially an elite game manager in Brock Purdy.

That gap is difficult to overcome.

It will be a very difficult spot for the 49ers to be in because Purdy is eventually going to command near elite or elite money and then you likely move significantly further from being able to contend.

2 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

I think Shannahan has the choker label because he hasn't had an elite QB and is forced to run the ball to have success.  But his play calling stye gets away from the run game too easily.  Especially when it's working.

SF wins last night if CMC had 30 carries (which is a lot) but Purdy wasn't doing anything unless a receiver was wide open.  Purdy 38 throws is stupid!    CMC was gashing them all night.

I rather doubt 30 carries moves the needle much. He ended the game with 22 carries for 80 yds. 

Also, don't forget that Shanahan was the playcaller during the 28-3 meltdown. So that choker label extends well beyond the 49ers.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I rather doubt 30 carries moves the needle much. He ended the game with 22 carries for 80 yds. 

Also, don't forget that Shanahan was the playcaller during the 28-3 meltdown. So that choker label extends well beyond the 49ers.

I think you'd be surprised what 8 less throws by Purdy does to that game.     He did nothing almost all 2nd half.

And he would've won the Superbowl with Atlanta if he did the same thing.  He forgot to run the ball.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, jamos14 said:

I think you'd be surprised what 8 less throws by Purdy does to that game.     He did nothing almost all 2nd half.

And he would've won the Superbowl with Atlanta if he did the same thing.  He forgot to run the ball.

Hard to say, what we do know is doing what he did was not the answer.

It's not generally a winning strategy in modern NFL football to have to hope your RB can win you a game. 

They need an elite guy if they want to beat other elite guys.

The 49ers success is due to Shanahan, and their failures are also due to Shanahan. He wanted to showcase his QBs on the biggest stage each time he’s been in the SB (maybe not Jimmy G) and paid the price. 

Last night was what Cam was talking about the whole time when he listed Purdy as a game manager. Folks took it out of context and went all “keep my QBs name out yo f#*%%#! Mouth.” 

• Pie 5

It's a little bit of both TBH. Shannahan didn't utilize their best offensive weapon as well as he should have. We all know McCaffery can make things happen, 8 touches could change that game. You do have to credit KCs D, they were doing a very good job limiting any big plays from CMC. I think it has also been shown that Shannahan makes QBs look better then they are. Matt Ryan and Jimmy G also looked amazing when the game plan was rolling along. They also all fell a part when it wasn't so that can't be pure coincidence. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Manna said:

The 49ers success is due to Shanahan, and their failures are also due to Shanahan. He wanted to showcase his QBs on the biggest stage each time he’s been in the SB (maybe not Jimmy G) and paid the price. 

Last night was what Cam was talking about the whole time when he listed Purdy as a game manager. Folks took it out of context and went all “keep my QBs name out yo f#*%%#! Mouth.” 

Yup, being a game manager doesn't mean can't ever make plays, it means they struggle to overcome stellar defenses and can't elevate the team around them to meet defensive challenges. Mahomes does it year in and year out.

13 minutes ago, dave-o said:

Travis Kelce should have been sent to the locker room not to return after what he did to coach...

Please. I'm sure they'll address it between them, and you could tell after the game that Reid wasn't pleased, but it's not like Kelce went Kevin Greene (RIP) on him. There is absolutely zero chance that he gets sent off the Super Bowl field for anything short of physical assault. Reid has been coaching Kelce for 10 years now - they're basically family at this point. 

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Purdy is a good but not great QB.

Shanahan called a game that depended more on Purdy than McCaffrey, who was balling.

Wilks got conservative and didn't respond to adjustments made by Reid late in the game.

Special teams made crucial mistakes.

The Niners has critical injuries mid-game.

It was way more than just any single factor.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 6