• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 49ers Super Bowl problem

kungfoodude

11 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I think Purdy is getting too much blame for this loss.

1)He didn't have any turnovers.

2)He didn't take any big sacks that cost them points or knocked them out of scoring range

3)He didn't fumble away a scoring opportunity in the red-zone (ie:CMC)

4) He wasn't on the field when the muffed punt occurred in the 3rd quarter. This is where KC got the big momentum swing. All Ray-Ray had to do was fall on the ball instead of trying to pick it up to run.

5) He didn't miss any extra points.

When the 49ers needed to score to take the lead or tie the game in the 2nd half, he came through. Had this game been played under the old OT rules he'd be a SB champion today.

Let's not forget that this was his first full season as a starter. Not bad for a 7th round pick. He should get better with time. He could have played better, but I don't see how anyone can blame the loss  mainly on him.

this.

only you left off when KC was struggling early....SF penalties getting him in 2nd and 27 and 2nd 19 type scenarios and WAY off schedule and killing some drives.....on top of all you mentioned. 

SF didn't lose that game because the game manager continued to be what he has been.   The best roster in the NFL didn't hold up there end of the bargain.  

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Found the explanation...

FB_IMG_1707756508090.thumb.jpg.f89e56f2368813c5a8edd8a1b8640c0c.jpg

hahaha! Could have been that or Kelce insisting that flats are better than drum sticks. Andy Reid of course appears to have put a few chicken wings away in his life and closes his eyes in frustration about to say drums are better but Kelce gave him no time and attempted to shoulder charge him

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

Crazy people are still clinging to the narrative that if Shanahan force fed McCaffrey even more they definitely would have won. He had 30 touches already.

Your QB has to get the job done. It was always Purdy vs Mahomes.

nah, this was never Purdy Mahomes. 

It was the battle of an offense with a superstar QB vs the super star cast.   And a reminder, that QB more often than not....is all that matters in the NFL.  Brock Purdy didn't lose them this game.  The rest of the roster didn't uphold their end of the bargain.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Any top 10 QB can win a SB with that 49ers roster.

If Purdy is a top 10 QB he should have won that game. The team was favored for a reason. Elite QBs don't need much, but Purdy has shown you even with the best roster in the NFL he still can't get it done.

It was apparent from the start the 49ers clearly had the better team. No way any other top 10 QB doesn't close that game.

Can you imagine Burrow/Lamar/Allen/Herbert even Stroud with that roster?

I see the point you are making and it makes sense. Purdy is a decent QB at this point in his career but not a top 10 elite yet. Agreed. Most top 10 guys probably would have smelled blood and closed that one out.

Edited by Ricky Prickles
  • Pie 2

Just now, CRA said:

nah, this was never Purdy Mahomes. 

It was the battle of an offense with a superstar QB vs the super star cast.   And a reminder, that QB more often than not....is all that matters in the NFL.  Brock Purdy didn't lose them this game.  The rest of the roster didn't uphold their end of the bargain.  

The defense is stacked. He has generational talent on both sides of the ball. When they kicked that FG in overtime it was a wrap. Your QB has to get you into the end zone.

• Pie 3

33 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Frankly, it's a foregone conclusion to me that (barring injury) Mahomes will probably win 10 superbowls, and 6 or 7 league MVPs when it's all said and done.  He so dramatically outclasses anyone to ever play the position that it's almost like he's a madden create-a-player

Let's pump the brakes, he won't have Andy Reid or Kelce for another 10 years.  Not to say that Mahomes can't win without them, but to be able to win multiple superbowls you need continuity in both coaching and talent around you like Brady had.

I think people are trying to come up with a narrative when they just got beat by the current best player in the NFL, and Chris Jones was also a disruptive force up the middle all night long, blew up multiple potential big plays throughout the game.

CMC had 30 touches and 155 yards. He only had 3.6 yards per carry, but they were feeding him.

They should have run it more opening the second half, but that is the only criticism I have, but that adds maybe 3 more rushes and gives CMC 165 total yards.They still moved up and down the field well enough, you just can't fumble in FG range (CMC) and then turn the ball over on special teams and give Mahomes a short field.

The biggest gaff was the bad luck punt off the blocker that gave the Chiefs the ball back.

They didn't choke away some huge lead, they were up 10 in the second quarter and the Chiefs scored a fG before the half. It was not some insurmountable lead, the game was well within grasp for both teams at halftime, the Chiefs just made fewer mistakes and Mahomes went goblin mode calling his own number multiple times on the last drive.

Don't read too much into it. It was a great game all around - and well officiated too, which is a severe rarity these days.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

The defense is stacked. He has generational talent on both sides of the ball. When they kicked that FG in overtime it was a wrap. Your QB has to get you into the end zone.

Its not even hating anymore. Everyone knows the 49ers roster is elite. Like damn how much more does he need?

It would be unfair if you gave any elite QB that 49ers roster. Purdy has to close the deal if you want to be elite. Can you imagine if Cam had those weapons in his prime?

Dude made a SB with Olsen and trash WRs.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

12 minutes ago, frankw said:

Crazy people are still clinging to the narrative that if Shanahan force fed McCaffrey even more they definitely would have won. He had 30 touches already.

Your QB has to get the job done. It was always Purdy vs Mahomes.

MaCaffrey had about 160 total yards in the game. He scored a TD and led his team in rushing and passing yards. Yet, CMC only had 2 touches in the 3rd quarter...the quarter that saw KC get back into the game after the 49er offense stalled and the special teams muffled the punt that resulted in a go ahead TD one play later.

• Pie 1

A. Purdy = JAG, Mahomes = future GOAT if not already considered so

B. QB is by far the most important position in the NFL and you can't win without an elite one

C. The Super Bowl was a damn close game that was ultimately decided in OT

I just don't see how you can propose Premise A and Premise B, while acknowledging that C ultimately happened.  If there's that enormous of a chasm between Purdy and Mahomes, then that game should've been a blowout.  Unless you want to argue that outside of QB, the 49ers were overwhelmingly more stacked than the Chiefs.  Not just better, but like night and day better.  I would give the 49ers the edge, but I don't think it's that significant.  I'd give the Chiefs the edge on coaching + defense (they were the #2 defense in yards and TDs on the year), and I'd give the 49ers a significant edge on offensive talent outside of QB.

I think what's more likely is that Purdy is better than people give him credit for.  He's obviously nowhere near Mahomes, but I think he's probably more "good" than he is "JAG".  And this is coming from someone who has never said a single positive thing about Purdy on these boards or otherwise.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

MaCaffrey had about 160 total yards in the game. He scored a TD and led his team in rushing and passing yards. Yet, CMC only had 2 touches in the 3rd quarter...the quarter that saw KC get back into the game after the 49er offense stalled and the special teams muffled the punt that resulted in a go ahead TD one play later.

You guys are going to have to accept this fantasy of McCaffrey winning a Super Bowl on his own isn't going to happen.

Just now, frankw said:

You guys are going to have to accept this fantasy of McCaffrey winning a Super Bowl on his own isn't going to happen.

No one does it alone.

actually think Shanahan needs to draft a big back to come in spell MaCaffrey during the game and to use in short yardage situations. Their backup RB is ok, but I think SF could continue to run effectively with CMC on the bench if they could find 6ft+/225lb+ back in the middle rounds of the draft to complement MaCaffrey.

If Shanahan had one of those last night he would have a much better shot at winning that game.

Just now, SCO96 said:

No one does it alone.

actually think Shanahan needs to draft a big back to come in spell MaCaffrey during the game and to use in short yardage situations. Their backup RB is ok, but I think SF could continue to run effectively with CMC on the bench if they could find 6ft+/225lb+ back in the middle rounds of the draft to complement MaCaffrey.

If Shanahan had one of those last night he would have a much better shot at winning that game.

Doesn't really matter how many backs Shanahan has on the roster if he continues to abandon the run.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, frankw said:

CMC can't fumble in scoring position.  OL can't kill drives with penalties.  You can't muff a punt and give Mahomes the ball at the 16.   You can't miss XPs. 

when you build your team like the 49ers have chosen...the burden is on the team. 

KC and SF are build 2 very different ways.  The burden and expectations should be different.  

Brock Purdy did his job given his role on that team.  He is paid a 2 buttons and some old pocket lint in comparison to other folks out there. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1