• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My first 2024 Panthers Mock Draft

Verge

9 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Brugler who typically has a good pulse on the scouting community has reported buzz around Corley as high as a Day 2 pick.  Factor in the senior bowl work he put in, I highly doubt he's a 5th rounder.  

Great prospect. 

Looking around the web, most draft sites have him in the 3rd-to-4th round range right now.  As we know, if he has a great pro day and Combine, he could make to the 2nd round.  Will he be better than the dudes that will be sitting there at #33?  I don't know, but he's a great trade down target if the team values him closer to the middle of round 2.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

My theory was that one of the 4 qbs would have been there at our pick at 9. It would have been Richardson, Levis or Young IMO. We didn't have to trade up to get a qb and it proved to be exactly that way.

I wasn't watching super closely but only Levi's was making it to pick 9 from what I could tell. Still think we gave up way too much but I see why they did it. 

Also reading nfl.com scouting report, the comp for Bryce is Drew Brees. Think a lot of people got faked out. Certainly I did. Watched the guy carve up the SEC, thought he was sure fire. Still not too late, I guess. 

@Verge how many and which WRs you think will be going in the first? just curious. i'm thinking as many as 5-6. hard to imagine that there would be more than that but as good as this class is it could happen.

the fact that it's also so deep makes me think that some teams will feel good about waiting a little to get one they like.

14 hours ago, Panthero said:

I like the picks besides the first one. Love WR, but would prefer someone that's an outside threat. Beyond that, if Corley and Jackson are available at those picks I'd run to the podium. Bortolini is good sneaky pick, paired with Beebe, I like the shoring up of depth at OL.

Honestly, I don’t want depth at OL as much as starter upgrades. Our OL was not good and they don’t appear to be getting healthier or better. If we draft IOL in the 3rd/4th, they better not be just depth. They better be starting or else we didn’t really improve.

Personally, I’m not a fan of this draft. Washington hasn’t been near 33 in anything I’ve looked at so far. At 33, in this deep of a class, I’d be hoping for a potential DJ Moore replacement.

• Pie 1

I see the most interesting angle as: how to put it - a Dan Morgan referendum. Who is he as a team builder? Is he going to separate himself from Fitterer and Tepper’s draft philosophies (well, Fitterer’s anyway, Tepper is just sees something shiny, wants it)? Are we going to see different types of players valued?

Off topic...

I am sorry but people that bought Young and Drew Brees did zero homework. 

I got so tired of seeing it that I looked at the actual size and weight of Brees and Young. Using Brees as the baseline or center point, take the difference between him and Young, go the other way with it.... you are into prototypical size QBs.

That is how far Young is from Brees in the other direction. IOW give Bryce 25lbs and he gets to Brees. Give Brees the same and he gets to a beautiful prototypical size. It is a different strata. 

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, Panthero said:

I wasn't watching super closely but only Levi's was making it to pick 9 from what I could tell. Still think we gave up way too much but I see why they did it. 

Also reading nfl.com scouting report, the comp for Bryce is Drew Brees. Think a lot of people got faked out. Certainly I did. Watched the guy carve up the SEC, thought he was sure fire. Still not too late, I guess. 

Had we not traded up only 2 qbs would have gone before the 9th pick. Only Huston and Indy were taking qbs before us. That is a fact no one can dispute. In hindsight the 2 that would been available to us would have been 2 of those 3. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, strato said:

Going to One was unnecessary, in any event.

And when you allow non professionals into the decision making mix you get confusion. 

Absolutely.  Also, was that subtle shot at the Teppers, lol?  They are professionals, just not in NFL player evaluations.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Had we not traded up only 2 qbs would have gone before the 9th pick. Only Huston and Indy were taking qbs before us. That is a fact no one can dispute. In hindsight the 2 that would been available to us would have been 2 of those 3. 

i think that is dubious to prove, seattle for instance could have used a qb. same thing for raiders (jimmy g isnt a world beater). how about atlanta? also, cant say others wouldnt have traded up if the guy fell. but that fact can and should be disputed as its too absolute given what the hype around Bryce was at the time. 

Edited by Panthero

13 minutes ago, strato said:

I see the most interesting angle as: how to put it - a Dan Morgan referendum. Who is he as a team builder? Is he going to separate himself from Fitterer and Tepper’s draft philosophies (well, Fitterer’s anyway, Tepper is just sees something shiny, wants it)? Are we going to see different types of players valued?

Off topic...

I am sorry but people that bought Young and Drew Brees did zero homework. 

I got so tired of seeing it that I looked at the actual size and weight of Brees and Young. Using Brees as the baseline or center point, take the difference between him and Young, go the other way with it.... you are into prototypical size QBs.

That is how far Young is from Brees in the other direction. IOW give Bryce 25lbs and he gets to Brees. Give Brees the same and he gets to a beautiful prototypical size. It is a different strata. 

149573785_AnotherBryceBreakdown-Page4-CarolinaPanth.thumb.png.4565f0724719eb19c0371270aa6b348d.png

I hate to use this picture again but Brees’ eye-line is almost the same as Stroud and well above Young. The Brees comparison was just trying to link Young to a HOF level player to justify the height concerns. It’s funny that this never came up before the draft because Young’s eye-line height should have been way more concerning. I don’t care where the top of his head is because it’s his eyes that matter and I remember Bree’s saying he used to tilt his head up so he could see more.

• Beer 1

52 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

149573785_AnotherBryceBreakdown-Page4-CarolinaPanth.thumb.png.4565f0724719eb19c0371270aa6b348d.png

I hate to use this picture again but Brees’ eye-line is almost the same as Stroud and well above Young. The Brees comparison was just trying to link Young to a HOF level player to justify the height concerns. It’s funny that this never came up before the draft because Young’s eye-line height should have been way more concerning. I don’t care where the top of his head is because it’s his eyes that matter and I remember Bree’s saying he used to tilt his head up so he could see more.

Eye line really has nothing to do with it, it's about finding throwing lanes, understanding where your guys are supposed to be at any given time and being able to sort through the visual noise and identify who your guys are vs the other team, and the space between everyone as fast as possible. Peripherals and poo.

All 3 of the above QBs are below 6'4", which is the average height of an NFL offensive lineman. None of them can see over any offensive lineman if they are standing up. All of them have to find throwing lanes to be able to be able to throw to their teammates.

Bryce's height was never an issue last season. His arm strength or lack thereof, and his footwork were the bigger issues.

• Pie 1

Agree about the arm and feet. It was just so tiresome a claim when it was so obviously not applicable.  

Edit to add: I hope they don't neglect the defense while throwing good “money” after bad over there in offense land.

1st and overall biggest resource dedicated to offense: brand new coaching staff. I know they’ll get more players according to what the coach wants. 

So looking at the draft as an inevitable over compensation offensively, who fits what Canales is looking for? 

Edited by strato