• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My first 2024 Panthers Mock Draft

Verge

1 hour ago, Panthero said:

I wasn't watching super closely but only Levi's was making it to pick 9 from what I could tell. Still think we gave up way too much but I see why they did it. 

Also reading nfl.com scouting report, the comp for Bryce is Drew Brees. Think a lot of people got faked out. Certainly I did. Watched the guy carve up the SEC, thought he was sure fire. Still not too late, I guess. 

Drew Brees is such a weird comparison. Brees is taller, had a stronger arm and played with more urgency. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Panthero said:

i think that is dubious to prove, seattle for instance could have used a qb. same thing for raiders (jimmy g isnt a world beater). how about atlanta? also, cant say others wouldnt have traded up if the guy fell. but that fact can and should be disputed as its too absolute given what the hype around Bryce was at the time. 

Neither were taking a qb. Only the Panthers were dumb enough to trade up.  

13 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Eye line really has nothing to do with it, it's about finding throwing lanes, understanding where your guys are supposed to be at any given time and being able to sort through the visual noise and identify who your guys are vs the other team, and the space between everyone as fast as possible. Peripherals and poo.

All 3 of the above QBs are below 6'4", which is the average height of an NFL offensive lineman. None of them can see over any offensive lineman if they are standing up. All of them have to find throwing lanes to be able to be able to throw to their teammates.

Bryce's height was never an issue last season. His arm strength or lack thereof, and his footwork were the bigger issues.

Make or break year for Bryce. I hope the coach was given the ability to drop Bryce if he flames out next season and we are in a position to draft a QB. 
Don’t want to end up like the Titans did and constantly give Marcus Mariota chances and an extension hoping he will finally break out. 
Only 5 more months till training camp. 

@Verge

I like the mock draft.  It addresses our biggest issues. Beebe and Bortolini makes a ton of sense. While I do not believe our line is as bad as 2023 would suggest, I do believe finding monsters we give us depth that we have sorely missed over the 4 or 5 season.  More importantly we need to groom a new starting center and I like the Bortolini assessment in the write up.

5'8" scares me but the solid route running makes me happy.  Sounds like a good #2.  If we can get a #1 in free agency than our offense might actually score some points this year.   

Overall, with the choices you made with the limited number of draft picks.

It's a good mock draft. 

Obviously, things will change once the new season starts in 3 weeks. 

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Bryce's height was never an issue last season. His arm strength or lack thereof, and his footwork were the bigger issues.

I think his height may have been an issue as he missed a lot of open wr's it seemed like every game and by missed I mean the wr were open and he didnt see them

5 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Drew Brees is such a weird comparison. Brees is taller, had a stronger arm and played with more urgency. 

And it also took brees 4ish years and a hof coach to really super charge his career.  If that has to happen with bryce then we really screwed things up

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Eye line really has nothing to do with it, it's about finding throwing lanes, understanding where your guys are supposed to be at any given time and being able to sort through the visual noise and identify who your guys are vs the other team, and the space between everyone as fast as possible. Peripherals and poo.

All 3 of the above QBs are below 6'4", which is the average height of an NFL offensive lineman. None of them can see over any offensive lineman if they are standing up. All of them have to find throwing lanes to be able to be able to throw to their teammates.

agreed to all of that. 

the two things that most thought would be an issue, supposed limited field of vision due to height and him snapping like a twig because he's so tiny.

he proved tougher than most thought, especially after getting sacked and hit as much as he did. durability isn't a concern anymore for him than anyone else.

field of vision issue...no QB looks over their OL. I heard a coupe QBs talk about that. average OL, like you said, is 6'4...plus a helmet on those big heads...how tall would a QB have to be to consistently look over his OL? 6'6? 6'7? It's all about finding lanes and knowing where everyone is supposed to be. 

he had his issues for sure, but the big ones weren't the issues that most talked about.

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

ATL had just drafted ridder and smith was comeback player of year.  Neither team was picking a qb.

Exactly.  Only 3 teams in the top 10 were taking a qb. We were one of the 3. We did NOT need to trade up for a qb. It was stupid then and in hindsight looks idiotic based on what was given and who they chose in return. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think his height may have been an issue as he missed a lot of open wr's it seemed like every game and by missed I mean the wr were open and he didnt see them

I'm not going to sit here and say he didn't, because I stopped watching the games halfway through the season, but from what I saw on film breakdowns on YT from guys like JT o'sullivan and such, no one was ever open and when guys actually were, the line failed and allowed pressure.

So I have no idea if Bryce missed seeing wide open guys a ton or not.

I do know as a whole, the receivers absolutely sucked as did the line, so Bryce also sucked.

It all depends on the sites you visit and mocks you study, but I have seen Corley in round 2 and Washington around round 5--but who knows.  I have frequently mocked these WRs to us when playing with my cyber GM machine. 

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

149573785_AnotherBryceBreakdown-Page4-CarolinaPanth.thumb.png.4565f0724719eb19c0371270aa6b348d.png

I hate to use this picture again but Brees’ eye-line is almost the same as Stroud and well above Young. The Brees comparison was just trying to link Young to a HOF level player to justify the height concerns. It’s funny that this never came up before the draft because Young’s eye-line height should have been way more concerning. I don’t care where the top of his head is because it’s his eyes that matter and I remember Bree’s saying he used to tilt his head up so he could see more.

Yep, Bree's tip of nose lines up with Strouds mouth, so an inch to two difference in their height.  Stroud is reportedly 6' 2" (and change) meaning Brees is between 6'0" and 6'1".  Brees' nose tip is above Bryce's eyebrows and while every face is different, could be as much as 4 inches!  Extrapolate that and you have a 5'8" to 5'9" QB. Young is not 5'10", I don't care what his bio says. 

• Pie 2

It seems to me that if you want to properly evaluate a qb you must put him behind an OL that can hold a block for more than 2 seconds. That would be my priority over anything else at this point.  Because when the OL is getting beat like a drum then the entire offense is screwed. Without fixing that it doesn't matter how many weapons you give him if he doesn't have time to read the field and step up in the pocket to make the throw. But what do I know.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, rayzor said:

agreed to all of that. 

the two things that most thought would be an issue, supposed limited field of vision due to height and him snapping like a twig because he's so tiny.

he proved tougher than most thought, especially after getting sacked and hit as much as he did. durability isn't a concern anymore for him than anyone else.

slightly off topic and I agree he is tough but that is not sustainable in the least, they have to massively improve this season in protecting him,  call it luck or whatever but its amazing he didnt get seriously injured with some of the blind shots he took.  I seriously doubt he (or any other qb) can make it through 2 seasons of that

• Pie 1