• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Craig Carton of FOX Sports: Bryce Young is not an NFL quarterback and never will be

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Then I stand corrected.  My point was that you cannot fairly compare him to someone that has been in the league T&C program years longer than he has. Bama obviously didn't care if their qbs are in shape as evident by the qbs physical appearance coming out.

Kyler Murray has been jacked his whole life.  He was also a power lifter growing up.

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Look at russ combine picture, the dude was built just different, completely different then young.  Also murray was way thicker and bulkier coming as well

That goes back to Bama I'm sure. I've not know them to produce qbs the look the part that i can recal in recent memory. But I digress, yes he's small. Everyone should have known that when they drafted him. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

the Texans wanted Young and inquired about trading up to 1 for him. It's turning into Young was the shortest ever and we reached like crazy for him because Tepper made us.  

Is there a source for this? I'm under the impression that they never once tipped their hand on who they wanted. If I recall correctly, the Texans were content to stay at 2 at pick Stroud once they found out we were going to Bryce. That to me is a sign that the Texans had wanted Stroud all along.

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Not trying to argue one way or another here but can we be realistic about that measurement? Is it including the hair?

I mean looking at this he's actually even a little shorter than Kyler. If we're going to discuss this let's at least put all the cards on the table.

spacer.png

Did they forget to press down on his hair before taking the measurement?  There's no way Bryce is 5'10".

18 hours ago, onmyown said:

Honestly I think the consensus was being happy with either and just hoping the FO did their diligence (and had the competence) to pick the right one…or one of because both could’ve worked out. I wanted Stroud but wasn’t mad at the pick at the time.

A lot of people thought Bryce would get injured as their main reason and well that’s been wrong.

However, what have noticed is the media now taking a complete 180. Now all of a sudden his size matters lol

Hitting on a franchise QB living up to number 1 overall is incredible difficult and so it is lazy to say he’ll bust and then want everyone to think you’re right and know what you’re talking about it’s dumb. Like I could said that the past 30 years no matter what and be like 90-95% right.

Young has hella work ahead of him. For me personally I don’t think his size matters as much as his mental strengths just not translating.

You got it figured out and correct.

3 minutes ago, scpanther22 said:

For as negative as everything feels. The actual football people seem to be taking a wait and see approach with Young...they're not totally out on him like non-football people seem to be  

I mean, they don't really have a choice in that matter.  They traded 2 first and DJ Moore for him.   Even if you are certain he is a bust.....there is literally no choice but to give him a year 2. 

• Beer 3

7 hours ago, CRA said:

Yeah, statistically, Bryce is still an anomaly at the position.   Murray is another. 

since 1970, only 30 of the 522 QBs drafted have been 6 ft or shorter.  Most of that 30 number isn't 5'10 guys.  

and Kyler and most other short kings are heavier and better built.  Bryce is small amongst the small.  It's really crazy when you think about drafting him #1 and giving up a bunch of stuff on top of it. 

Kyler also has elite athleticism and a bigger arm. 

Craig Carton is not relevant, and never will be. Bald headed geek just like Tepper. Going after the low hanging fruit. In defense of Bryce our interior Oline consisted of backups at best because of injuries and the WR Corp underperformed.  

Yeah I'm coping LOL not really.  

7 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah this always confuses me too.  I keep reading Brees was WAY taller.  Brees was 6 foot and 1/4, Russ was 5 foot 10 and 5/8, Kyler was the exact same height.  The funny thing is Caleb might not be 6 foot.  USC has him listed as 6 foot and 1 inch, but I keep reading it's more like 6 foot even or possible a little smaller.  

The whole narrative has to be adjusted to make us look worse (which I mean it isn't necessary we screwed up plenty as a team).  Young was the same height as a recent top pick, most people had Young as QB1, the Texans wanted Young and inquired about trading up to 1 for him. It's turning into Young was the shortest ever and we reached like crazy for him because Tepper made us.  

If young played like he was 6’4” no one would care about his size. He plays like he’s 5’2” is the problem. 

3 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Kyler also has elite athleticism and a bigger arm. 

exactly.  Bryce represents something that is ALMOST unseen in the NFL.  When compared amongst the tiny fraction of short kings.....he is the tiniest of them all. 

It was always clear he had the smallest ceiling of all the guys in the last draft.   That was even a majority opinion here.   Panthers org has just been desperate.  Drafting Young is one thing....giving up so much for such an outlier and gamble?  Just insane really if you are just playing odds. 

* i still think Bryce could be decent in a good situation.  But that, is pretty much available every year for cheap in FA.  Lot of guys on the bench would look good in great spots. 

• Beer 3