• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josina Anderson thoughts on the Burns situation

ncfan

Just now, Krovvy said:

No one is coming to the worst team in the league with an unproven coach & quarterback.

Cap space is useless for this team. Without Burns we're going to have possibly the worst defense in the league next season, especially if the secondary continues to be made of glass.

I mean, Burns just isn't that guy.    He doesn't have that type impact on the D and defense.  

People wanting to dump comical money into a dude that was the best defender on the team......one season in his career? And that wasn't a recent one.   

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, Burns just isn't that guy.    He doesn't have that type impact on the D and defense.  

People wanting to dump comical money into a dude that was the best defender on the team......one season in his career? And that wasn't a recent one.   

He's not elite, but damn we're going to be awful when he's out there. Next year's defense will be historically bad without having a legitimate edge rusher.

3 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

He's not elite, but damn we're going to be awful when he's out there. Next year's defense will be historically bad without having a legitimate edge rusher.

I mean, Carolina could go out and probably find a better all around DE if they want one.  Maybe we should just focus on adding more solid players, filling holes and getting a great working D schematically. 

Burns is best suited for a team that scores a lot of points.....and just pass rush all game.  And then he needs the interior play to aid him because his pass rushing game is just too one dimensional. 

Burns is great at one thing.  Meh at too many other aspect of the position. 

It's just bad business IMO to pay him given what we are and what we need to become. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, Carolina could go out and probably find a better all around DE if they want one.  Maybe we should just focus on adding more solid players, filling holes and getting a great working D schematically. 

Burns is best suited for a team that scores a lot of points.....and just pass rush all game.  And then he needs the interior play to aid him because his pass rushing game is just too one dimensional. 

Burns is great at one thing.  Meh at too many other aspect of the position. 

It's just bad business IMO to pay him given what we are and what we need to become. 

That's what I'm not seeing though. I don't think Carolina can attract any free agents this year that won't be a massive overpay, if they can attract any at all. There's just no real incentive for a player to come to Carolina right now. Even after a good year it's been difficult for Carolina to bring in talent, with the exception of the 2015 season when it was clear Carolina was a contender.

I would just rather overpay a known quantity than an unknown, or worse ending up with a massive amount of cap space, but no one worth paying.

Edited by Krovvy

2 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

That's what I'm not seeing though. I don't think Carolina can attract any free agents this year that won't be a massive overpay, if they can attract any at all. There's just no real incentive for a player to come to Carolina right now. Even after a good year it's been difficult for Carolina to bring in talent, with the exception of the 2015 season when it was clear Carolina was a contender.

I would just rather overpay a known quantity than an unknown, or worse ending up with a massive amount of cap space, but no one worth paying.

There is overpaying.....and then there is paying Brian Burns like an elite DE.    Would we have to slightly overpay some average joes and good dudes to come here? Sure.  Maybe.  But that doesn't handicap your team like Burns would IMO. 

We need lots of peices to fix this broken mess.  We are in quantity over quality mode IMO.  We need to build a functional O and a more well rounded D. 

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Heaven forbid that a rebuilding(should be tanking) team have some actual cap space to rollover into a year like 2025 when they have had a year to build some value and a solid core. What do you expect happen next year. Restructure and overpay to win 5 games? If that? Then what? Same thing again in 2025? Keep that cycle of success rolling like it has been. 

Paying players too much just because they are on your team is exactly how this organization has hamstrung itself for close to 15 years now. 

• Pie 5

If he goes, they are just gonna reinvest the (deflated) proceeds into the Bryce Young project.

If there is any point in continuing....

Burns does have some talent.

The truth though, is this right here: We can finish last without him, and that is probably where we would finish with him. 

• Pie 2

If he’s wanting 30 I have to think whatever we can do with YGM and what I assume would be a late first rounder for him would be more beneficial to the team then giving him 30 mil a year. If he would have taken a Crosby type deal I’d of been all for him but he is over valuing himself. I’m sure if he goes to a contender he will be on prime time games getting even more praise so will make us look silly even if in reality it helped us rebuild.

10 hours ago, hepcat said:

Panthers f*cked themselves not trading Burns to the Rams. Scott Fitterer is the worst GM in team history by a nuclear blast radius margin. 

Should have re-signed Reddick and traded Burns all along. 

It is uncanny how bad Fitterer just fuged everything he touched up. He literally made every wrong decision he could have made. 

Forget the Fhule excuse, Fitt failed when it was his call every single time. 

Dude should never work in the NFL again. 

• Pie 2

Make a fair offer for his production and don’t deviate. F morale. If he won’t agree, then trade him. Fitt is to blame for our loss in trade capital, and he has paid the price for his failure.

Edited by pantherj

44 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Make a fair offer for his production and don’t deviate. F morale. If he won’t agree, then trade him. Fitt is to blame for our loss in trade capital, and he has paid the price for his failure.

You can't trade him unless he accepts an offer.

1 hour ago, MtnJax said:

Some rando called into Kyle Bailey’s show and said the Panthers didn’t offer Burns $27m, but instead it was ~$20M with “unattainable” incentives to get him to $27m

take that fwiw

Worth nothing at all