• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Late round QBs?

rayzor

If we are able to pick up a couple extra picks, thoughts on picking up a QB late?

Just for depth (with potential). Not looking at it as being a replacement for Bryce, but someone that would be a decent guy to have and keep around that will know the system and can plug in as needed.

Sam Hartman is someone I keep looking at. He's just been solid wherever he's been. Huge game against Clemson. Just seems like the kind of tough and reliable guy you'd want to have hanging around.

I kind of like Jordan Travis. I think he could develop into a solid backup and be drafted in a late round. Rattler has arm talent but he probably goes higher than I’d like, plus you can run a similar offense with Travis and Young IMO. 

• Pie 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:20 AM, rayzor said:

If we are able to pick up a couple extra picks, thoughts on picking up a QB late?

Just for depth (with potential). Not looking at it as being a replacement for Bryce, but someone that would be a decent guy to have and keep around that will know the system and can plug in as needed.

Sam Hartman is someone I keep looking at. He's just been solid wherever he's been. Huge game against Clemson. Just seems like the kind of tough and reliable guy you'd want to have hanging around.

Agreed on Hartman, but as you said, only if we acquire more picks.  With only six selections, someone that will surely only be a backup and not even contribute is not worth it.  At least other positions backups can rotate in or contribute on STs.

On 2/24/2024 at 5:57 PM, ForJimmy said:

I kind of like Jordan Travis. I think he could develop into a solid backup and be drafted in a late round. Rattler has arm talent but he probably goes higher than I’d like, plus you can run a similar offense with Travis and Young IMO. 

If Rattler is there in the 3rd, I would be really hard pressed not to turn in the card.  Difference in arm talent between Young and Rattler is night and day.

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

If Rattler is there in the 3rd, I would be really hard pressed not to turn in the card.  Difference in arm talent between Young and Rattler is night and day.

3rd is too premium of a pick IMO.  Just build and offense around Young.  If he struggles he will lead us to the top pick and we can replace him next year.  We keep trying to throw money/assets at QBs without fixing our offense.

11 minutes ago, strato said:

No doubt, we won’t see it but the Panthers desperately need a QB with an arm.

they'll see if we can make it work with Bryce. they're going to be going all in on him this year just because of the investment made to see if we can get any return at all on it. the best chance he has for success is Canales and his crew and them building a better situation and team around him, so i suspect that they will do whatever they can to try and figure out how to make it work.

many of us might think we already know that it won't work, but there's a chance (probably slim) that it can work so they have to find out. i would be shocked if they brought in anyone who could be considered legit competition. 

I can see how it could work to a degree if they do the 'spare no expense or effort' at shoring up the weakness. IMO if we are going down that road, just get a 5th rounder that can play from under center, and has an NFL arm. Let them go at it and best player wins the job. 

I don’t personally care at all for the style of offensive football they will be playing to eventually get to .500 or a little better - unless it actually does turn out to be ground and pound with play action deep shots - I love that poo. The style thing is a large factor in my disapproval of drafting this guy. 

It’s gonna be ball out in 2.5, 5 yard and a cloud of turf pellets. Now I do love and appreciate a nicely thrown ball with ‘touch’ on it (looking at you, Cam), but when that is all that he can do, it won’t be fun. 

On 2/24/2024 at 11:20 AM, rayzor said:

Might as well not even make picks Panthers are going to suck for years, just give the picks to someone else, I probably will be dead before the Panthers are good again.

Austin Reed is a name to watch. All the dude did was put big numbers for 4 years. Came in after Zappe and they didn't miss a beat his 1st year. Took a step back last year which has knocked him off the radar. 

Dude went to DII and as a RS freshman, just lead the team to a championship and was great in 2021. In the championship game, he broke the yards record for the champ game in the 1st half and TD record in the second. Dude just balled out all year in 2019. In 2 years 7.4k and 78 tds total (think it was 12 rushing). 

Goes to WKU and the year after Zappe is drafted in 2021, just continues with video games numbers in 2022. 8k in the 2 years, but 4.7k in 2022 (in 13 games) and 3.3k last year. 71 tds, but again 40 in 2022 and 31 in 2023. Good not great 2023, but that 2023 is magic.

Best QB at the shrine bowl by a mile.

I'm down for our 7th for the guy, but expect he's gone before then now.