• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales "I'd like to take the pressure off the quarterback to be a part of what the offense is doing rather than a feature of it"

rayzor

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I guess I'm going to have to find some clips and do some research (you know, like what percentage Baker played under center). I'd just like to see him say---and maybe he has---that he's going to design an offense around Bryce Young's strengths. [I kinda chuckled when I said "Young's strengths," but I'm admittedly being overly negative] Mayfield and Young are hardly the same QB, and we don't have a Mike Evans.

West Coast spread offense and a lot of play action under center from what I’ve read. His core philosophy is to try to minimize pressure on the OL. We’ll see if he pulls it off but he’s saying the right things.

If we’re spreading the ball around effectively we don’t necessarily need a Mike Evans, and especially if Young really has a problem throwing deep. I think this was the idea when we drafted him (“point guard” sounds sexier than calling your #1 pick the franchise “game manager”) but Reich and Brown’s system just didn’t follow the plan. It’s probably where the rift in the staff stemmed from. 

I just want to see how Bryce looks when it’s not obvious to defenses that we’re passing. We would have to won more games last year if they had just done that, the bar is low.

Edited by MechaZain

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, if you are just using statistics, it might be a tough sell that he was even the best SEC QB that year.   

I could argue he was the 3rd best QB in the SEC in 2022.    

IMO, Bryce Young was clearly trending downward after his initial season.  I mean, he only played 2 so that's probably not the fairest way to view it but. 

You could argue a lot of things, but all of those names he mentioned didn’t follow a pattern. Losing Jamo and Metchie definitely hurt but that’s just part of it. With them he was statistically one of the best. His career is still statistically one of the best. Rating under pressure is nice because it kind of takes away the solid OL he usually had. 

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

the most successful window of our franchise's history? Nationally relevant? A bad game away from one of the greatest season's in NFL history?  

I mean, I'd take that ride again in heartbeat. 

i mean over what we've had to deal with the past few years? oh yeah for sure.

but what if the team didn't have to be carried on cam's back? what if it was built right and we had a coaching staff whose plan wasn't "let's run cam until his wheels fall off".

could we have won the superbowl (or stood a better chance against that PoS referee crew) if the team was built and run better? could we have even had back to back winning seasons? 

you aren't always going to be able to have or depend on a superman. build the team right and run it right. that should be the #1 thing. then if you get a stud or two on the team, you'll be almost impossible to stop. 

teams that are put together well can get it done and be consistently competitive without a superstar QB. should we have gotten one for what we paid for? yes. did we get one? trending towards hell na. but we've got who we've got for a couple years.

my hope is 1st that we get the team built right and run right so that the whole shebang doesn't rely completely on the QB being a superstar. 2nd that we can get bryce to be the guy he was drafted to be...or at least close. if bryce doesn't work out, then we get a replacement. if/when that happens then we've at least got a team put together better than the crap we've had since tepper bought it.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You could argue a lot of things, but all of those names he mentioned didn’t follow a pattern. Losing Jamo and Metchie definitely hurt but that’s just part of it. With them he was statistically one of the best. His career is still statistically one of the best. Rating under pressure is nice because it kind of takes away the solid OL he usually had. 

in terms of recent Bama QBs, just talking the college player

I'd rank them Tua, Bryce, Mac, Hurts

irrelevant side note, I'm still surprised with the strides Hurts made as a passer when he left Bama. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

in terms of recent Bama QBs, just talking the college player

I'd rank them Tua, Bryce, Mac, Hurts

irrelevant side note, I'm still surprised with the strides Hurts made as a passer when he left Bama. 

Mac had a great last year too. I think sometimes the NFL player gets lumped into the college player by us fans. Your ranking almost projects to where they were drafted just flip Bryce and Tua. 2021 Young when he had NFL receivers was as good as any. 2022 had weaker receiving targets compared to other years for Bama. His best WR was his RB. 

Edited by ForJimmy

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Mac had a great last year too. I think sometimes the NFL player gets lumped into the college player by us fans. Your ranking almost projects to where they were drafted just flip Bryce and Tua. 

lot of where folks are drafted is just a matter of who is in their draft class and how desperate some teams are for some hope.   

Hurts IMO while the 4th best Bama QB.....wouldn't of been my 4th if they all were coming in together into the NFL.   Maybe if he never transferred and his college career ended there he would have stayed.  I've just never been wow'd by any of them for a long time.  But I'm also a certified Bama hater (or at least was during that era)

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

lot of where folks are drafted is just a matter of who is in their draft class and how desperate some teams are for some hope.   

Hurts IMO while the 4th best Bama QB.....wouldn't of been my 4th if they all were coming in together into the NFL.   Maybe if he never transferred and his college career ended there he would have stayed.  I've just never been wow'd by any of them for a long time.  But I'm also a certified Bama hater (or at least was during that era)

Being a certified Bama hater is good in my book. 

• Beer 1

1. Bro is not going to go up there and throw his brand new boss’s hand picked franchise/coach killer under the bus. 

2. If Bryce comes in to training camp even a little beefed up and shows improved mechanics out the gate, I’ll be at least a bit more hopeful. 

3. We need to build the team. The focus needs to be TEAM. All positions need talent. Treat Bryce like the 5th rounder that he should have been. Help him out, but don’t dump everything you’ve got in to showing he can be adequate. Upgrade LT, center and WR. Switch Brady to LT. Ichy to guard. Find a new center. Draft o line and wr. If he shows 0 improvement, cut bait.

4. run the damn ball. Want to know how to make it so the other team isn’t expecting pass? It’s called don’t pass. Do the thing people seem to bitch about the most. Run. The. Ball. Find rhythm. Build confidence. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan

On 2/28/2024 at 12:23 PM, top dawg said:

Yeah, making the playoffs four out of five seasons sounds great on the surface, but we still haven't had two back-to-back winning seasons. If I wasn't a Panthers fan, I'd think that was unbelievable. Sure, we can fool ourselves into thinking that pre-Tepper that historically we were a fine franchise, but we were more fair to middling. Under Tepper we've just stunk. My desire is for us to get in that top echelon of teams, or at least right before it.

It's all relative. Would 2013-2017 have been better if we went 9-7 but missed the playoffs in 2014? Not really, no. Would have been worse. Playoffs are all that matter.