• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marvin Harrison Jr skips his media presser

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The guy spent three years at Texas which is consistently ranked one of the top public universities in the country. Damn, that's just embarrassing.

I mean.....the Texas education scale is probably....."different."

27 minutes ago, BrianS said:

You know what's worse?  These are college students.  You can't make this stuff up.

These are football players.  There are a lot of football players that couldn’t have gotten in and then stayed in without the football. 

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I agree that chase was a really good prospect but even if you think chase was better, which a lot don’t, that’s one.  Name another one in the previous 10 years. 
Harrison is taller and from an evaluation /scouting standpoint he probably grades out a little higher than even chase.   You might have to go back to the Jones/Green year. 

I'm honestly not certain he's the best WR prospect THIS year.

In the last 10 years? I mean, 10 years ago Sammy Watkins was a STUD prospect. Nearly 1500 yards and 12 TDs his last year at Clemson. Those are the types of guys everyone forgets about in there discussions. The "can't miss prospects" that miss. He went #4 over Mike Evans at #7. Amari Cooper went #4 overall the following year. 1700 yards and 16 TDs his last year at Bama STUD. Hell, a lot of folks thought Kevin White who went #7 that year was an even better prospect. BUST.  Corey Davis went #5 overall in 2018. 2021 had the previously mentioned Chase at #5 with Waddle right behind him at #6. 

Harrison's production just doesn't scream generational prospect. Numerous highly drafted guys in the last decade have put up considerably better numbers against similar competition. And I just don't see game breaking speed from him when I watch him play. I "just" see a typical WR that gets drafted in the top 10. A damn good prospect but not someone who is displaying otherworldly talent.

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm honestly not certain he's the best WR prospect THIS year.

In the last 10 years? I mean, 10 years ago Sammy Watkins was a STUD prospect. Nearly 1500 yards and 12 TDs his last year at Clemson. Those are the types of guys everyone forgets about in there discussions. The "can't miss prospects" that miss. He went #4 over Mike Evans at #7. Amari Cooper went #4 overall the following year. 1700 yards and 16 TDs his last year at Bama STUD. Hell, a lot of folks thought Kevin White who went #7 that year was an even better prospect. BUST.  Corey Davis went #5 overall in 2018. 2021 had the previously mentioned Chase at #5 with Waddle right behind him at #6. 

Harrison's production just doesn't scream generational prospect. Numerous highly drafted guys in the last decade have put up considerably better numbers against similar competition. And I just don't see game breaking speed from him when I watch him play. I "just" see a typical WR that gets drafted in the top 10. A damn good prospect but not someone who is displaying otherworldly talent.

I agree that generational is a huge term but you are naming guys from 9-10 years ago to come up with guys that “might” be better prospects.
Also you are looking at this as a fan and heavily weighing production.  Think more in terms of evaluation like a scout.
they aren’t looking at players and ranking them based on who had the most yards.  Think about grading these guys on a variety of variables, Height, speed, hands, route running, rac,  production, level of competition.

i can see how he is one of the higher rated WRs in the last 10-15 years, that doesn’t guarantee him anything at the next level. 

26 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I agree that generational is a huge term but you are naming guys from 9-10 years ago to come up with guys that “might” be better prospects.
Also you are looking at this as a fan and heavily weighing production.  Think more in terms of evaluation like a scout.
they aren’t looking at players and ranking them based on who had the most yards.  Think about grading these guys on a variety of variables, Height, speed, hands, route running, rac,  production, level of competition.

i can see how he is one of the higher rated WRs in the last 10-15 years, that doesn’t guarantee him anything at the next level. 

Going off NFL.com prospect grades he's not the best WR prospect this year by either measure.

Screenshot_20240301-181926.thumb.png.09e1e40d05722b1fb2c8f482aeebcfbb.png

Screenshot_20240301-181856.thumb.png.b8bbf90ef7bd769f9c1ed4852cd8261b.png

If you go back over the past decade he's probably barely top 10. Excellent WR prospect, no doubt. Definitely not "generational" though.

34 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Chase had a 1700+ season with 20 TDs out of a tougher SEC.  Harrison had nothing like that with Stroud.  Chase had 4.3 speed with great hands. 

I don’t look at Harrison and think he is a different league from that.   

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

Chase had a 1700+ season with 20 TDs out of a tougher SEC.  Harrison had nothing like that with Stroud.  Chase had 4.3 speed with great hands. 

I don’t look at Harrison and think he is a different league from that.   

I think he is in a different league as a prospect compared to Chase. A lesser league.

26 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Probably doing this to get the bad teams off his scent so he can go to a better team.

He's costing himself money.

How far do you expect him to drop? If he didn't like the draft he could have went back to school.

All this yammering about generational talent and for that matter, great receiver class is just talk.  Means nothing until we see it on the field.  The players coined as generational talents almost never become a generational talent.   Meanwhile, the guys who were generational talents (Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, our own Steve Smith), were not really recognized as such until they actually played.  

Regarding our own selections, I just hope we get 3-4 good players out of this draft.  

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

All this yammering about generational talent and for that matter, great receiver class is just talk.  Means nothing until we see it on the field.  The players coined as generational talents almost never become a generational talent.   Meanwhile, the guys who were generational talents (Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, our own Steve Smith), were not really recognized as such until they actually played.  

Regarding our own selections, I just hope we get 3-4 good players out of this draft.  

Perfect example Trevor Lawrence was supposed to be that generational QB. He's good don't get me wrong, but not generational.

CJ Stroud was seen as a regular prospect. Turns out he may be generational when nobody expected that.

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

In 2021 there were 3 receivers who were given higher prospect grades by the same analysts at nfl.com than Harrison. And 1 this year. Generational has to mean more than that 

30 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Randy Moss was definitely considered generational 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-randy-moss-rookie-season-minnesota-vikings-1998