• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Leaf says Caleb Williams needs work, should sit for a year

"Seventy-five percent of what made him so great in college is not transferable to the NFL. He’s not going to be able to do that. He can’t do what he did in college 75% of the time and be successful at the NFL level," explained Leaf. "He can do the 25% at the NFL level, but he needs some time."

So what is the 75% of the game that he can't do right now? 

Well, Leaf explained Williams doesn't play under center, doesn't play on time and learned to play the quarterback position from the pocket.

Leaf went on to say that the only two quarterbacks in the 2024 NFL Draft that he believes can start Day 1 are Jayden Daniels and Michael Penix Jr.

The former NFL quarterback explained that Penix's accuracy makes him the best quarterback prospect in the draft this year — not Williams.

FWIW

He may be right, but that's not how the modern NFL works. If you're drafted first, you're expected to play. Williams hasn't played within the flow of the offense enough, according to some; he's had way too many off-script type of plays, especially when you compare him to the other top two QBs, but that's not going to stop him from being drafted first.

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Ryan Leaf giving advice to a young QB is not something I care to take serious.

Slow news day. OP you get a free pass today.

Don’t need a pass.  That’s why I posted it.

Kinda hilarious to hear a strong take on the #1 QB from one of the biggest QB busts in NFL history.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

I mean, the guy was a huge bust but he does have the pretty unique insight of making the transition to the NFL as a high pick with huge expectations. That's not nothing.

And he's saying pretty much the same thing I've been saying about Williams so yeah, he's gotta be right. LOL!

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

Kinda hilarious to hear a strong take on the #1 QB from one of the biggest QB busts in NFL history.

Just joking with you btw. Don't take me serious I just be ruffling feathers every now and then.

• Beer 1

29 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

Hearing the guy tell his story about exactly how and why he fuged up, including the embarrassing details about him getting arrested for breaking into houses and stealing pills out of old ladies' medicine cabinets and poo, leads me to give his opinion at least some weight.

e: that's not to exonerate the trainers and medical staff who carelessly pumped him and other players full of opioid painkillers in the slightest

Edited by The NFL Shield At Midfield

I tend to agree. I think Williams and Maye are going to have much more difficult transitions to the NFL than most fans think. 

The one thing I will give Maye credit for is that he seems to be actively seeking out former NFL QB advice(or at least publicly). That SEEMS to signal he might be taking this a bit more serious of a challenge than Williams. TBD.

• Pie 1