• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WR Draft News/Gossip per The Athletic Pod

2 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

which of these guys are outside receivers?  Someone here said Mingo was best suited for the slot, and of course we have Adam T

This is a really nice article on the top guys broken down by type.  They're sorted by what their style leans most towards although a handful can play multiple (I.E. McConkey, Pearsall, etc.)

https://watchedthetape.substack.com/p/2024-draft-receiver-rankings?r=33u1bz&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&triedRedirect=true

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

I’m a big fan of Pearsall

Yeah, he's one of my favorite dudes in the draft.  Both him, then Kneeland + Ellis at EDGE are the guys who I think are way higher up than some sites rank them.  Some of my favorite player fits for us.  

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Yeah, he's one of my favorite dudes in the draft.  Both him, then Kneeland + Ellis at EDGE are the guys who I think are way higher up than some sites rank them.  Some of my favorite player fits for us.  

Pearsall vs McConkey, who you got?

5 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Figured to drop some tidbits on the board today.  Interesting nuggets from the Athletic show:

• There is a clear, consensus top-4 per team scouts (MH, Odunze, Nabers, & Thomas)
  • However---> Brugler reported one scout he spoke to has the same grade on Brian Thomas as he did Ricky Pearsall. Pearsall is higher than he's being perceived.  Of course very different receivers, but grade wise, the same. 
  • So, beginning at WR4/5, there is a ton of variance in how clubs are ranking these guys. A guy Team A ranks at WR13 could be WR5 on Team B's board
  • Despite the 40 time, Worthy is still a tough sell for a lot of clubs.  His tape doesn't have the explosive plays you expect with that speed.  Body catcher, has some concerns at that size.
  • More Ja'Lynn Polk love.  Robert Woods comp -- not viewed as a go-to #1 but could be an excellent #2.

Guys on PFF were saying the same thing today. 

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

This is a really nice article on the top guys broken down by type.  They're sorted by what their style leans most towards although a handful can play multiple (I.E. McConkey, Pearsall, etc.)

https://watchedthetape.substack.com/p/2024-draft-receiver-rankings?r=33u1bz&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&triedRedirect=true

you're the best poster on this board, glad they made you a mod

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I see that. I also see Kelvin Benjamin 2.  Don't think that is fair, but its in my head!!!

Pre ACL injury KB? I would take that in a heartbeat. 

I like a lot of the WR they have falling to us, EXCEPT Troy Franklin. I don't understand the hype. 

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Pearsall vs McConkey, who you got?

Ooooh.  If I'm being honest, I like Pearsall a bit more due to his toughness and slightly larger frame. 

They are both right in line w/route running and quickness. 

But Pearsall is so fast at beating zone.  McConkey missing some time last year doesn't concern me, but that is also something to factor in.  Pearsall doesn't shy from contact at all, and with that said hasn't been banged up.  Just a tough and rather spunky dude that's improved every year.  I've seen a fiesty-Godwin comp which I think is really appropriate.    

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There are honestly a TON of great 2nd tier guys in this draft.

Guys who would be a fringe first getting pushed to the 2nd and 2nd rounders in most drafts might get pushed into the 3rd strictly from the depth the class has.

I want a guy who can get open either with speed or gets open with good routes.

2nd round potential targets:

• McConkey
  • Mitchell
  • Pearsall
  • Franklin

3rd and beyond:

• Corley
  • Wilson (Michigan)
  • Burton
  • Javon Baker
  • Ja'lynn Polk

A few others that are escaping me.

Baker is my mid-round pick that I would keep an eye on.  Feiry, physical, and really jumps off the screen when you what UCF clips.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I want a guy who can get open either with speed or gets open with good routes.

Don’t care what the rankings are. Look up Troy Franklin and press play. That’s the guy that gets separation. Tez Walker a little later can be a guy too. 

The Panthers need a true Split End with speed. 

5 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Interesting XL gets the honorable mention as a red flag lol. Yeah sounds like a "project" that we've had too many of in recent years. 23 already as well. I think realistically at 33 I'm looking at Mitchell or Coleman, one has better routes and the other can get you more yac for the dink and dunk