• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More Unnecessary Bluntness w/ Senior Draft Analyst Damian Parson

7 hours ago, csx said:

McHonkey didn't produce a whole lot. Why is he getting this much attention?

Not many players are fast and quick.  Also runs really good routes.  Legette was really bad till his last season (his 5th season) how do you feel about him?   He is older than Mingo.  

It looks like we may exercise, what is it called? Oh yeah, patience.

From how I'm seeing/grading this draft, there's going to be a round 1 graded guy at 33 and 39.  Just stand pat, see what presents itself.  

You never know. Could end up being Chop Robinson, Brian Thomas, AD Mitchell, JPJ/Barton at C, etc. 

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

Mingo was a mistake.

If he doesn't show up and show out this season all of us are going to have to agree with you. I do want to see how he does in the new scheme before I write him off as a bust.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

now as to why ladd is highly regarded...i think it's just because he's quick and a safe option to throw to. he's seen as a reliable option for any QB. nothing particularly dynamic about him other than that. actually he just seems like a good boring but reliable WR. won't get much as far as TDs and probably won't produce much in the way of highlight reels, but between the 40s he'll be solid. 

i kind of think that he might be hyped a little too much, but i wouldn't hate it. he can get open, get some separation, and catch passes. we kind of need that. 

i wouldn't be content with him being the only WR we take in the first 4 picks, though. get someone like Leggette or some other big X receiver who can also high point balls and give us a red zone threat. mingo has the potential to be that...but i'm not going to bank on that or use him as an excuse to not get another X receiver. 

we just need guys with reliable hands who can either get open or fight for the ball and win. gimme two or three this draft and i wouldn't hate a big TE getting added, either.

Why draft McConkey?  As you alluded to above, runs crisp routes, consistently gets separation, great hands, 2.7.  He will start in the slot next year when Thielen moves on.

Edited by bythenbrs

25 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Why draft McConkey?  As you alluded to above, runs crisp routes, consistently gets separation, great hands, 2.7.  He will start in the slot next year when Thielen moves on.

yeah i basically think of him as another thielen. quickest and easiest comparison. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

It looks like we may exercise, what is it called? Oh yeah, patience.

From how I'm seeing/grading this draft, there's going to be a round 1 graded guy at 33 and 39.  Just stand pat, see what presents itself.  

You never know. Could end up being Chop Robinson, Brian Thomas, AD Mitchell, JPJ/Barton at C, etc. 

yeah, as good and as deep as this class is, there's going to be first level talent falling all through the second round...especially in the WR ranks. 

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

now as to why ladd is highly regarded...i think it's just because he's quick and a safe option to throw to. he's seen as a reliable option for any QB. nothing particularly dynamic about him other than that. actually he just seems like a good boring but reliable WR. won't get much as far as TDs and probably won't produce much in the way of highlight reels, but between the 40s he'll be solid. 

i kind of think that he might be hyped a little too much, but i wouldn't hate it. he can get open, get some separation, and catch passes. we kind of need that. 

i wouldn't be content with him being the only WR we take in the first 4 picks, though. get someone like Leggette or some other big X receiver who can also high point balls and give us a red zone threat. mingo has the potential to be that...but i'm not going to bank on that or use him as an excuse to not get another X receiver. 

we just need guys with reliable hands who can either get open or fight for the ball and win. gimme two or three this draft and i wouldn't hate a big TE getting added, either.

I admit that I may not be the most objective about Ladd (for obvious reasons), but I think he's more dynamic than you may be giving him credit for. I don't see him scoring TDs being a problem. He played in 39 games in his Georgia career and scored 14 TDs, so that's hardly "nothing!" 

I think the question with him will be if he can stay relatively healthy. If he does, he'll make an immediate impact in the league. 

6 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

If we draft Legette with one of our second rounds picks, I’d try to trade Mingo for a 3rd. 

I think that we owe it to ourselves to see what has. I can make an argument that he was just as much of a victim as the train wreck that was 2023 as Bryce. Bryce needs to hit Mingo not only when he is "open," but "NFL open."

I doubt that anyone would trade a 3rd for him, especially when this year (and 2025 according to the draft analyst) is deep at the position.

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I admit that I may not be the most objective about Ladd (for obvious reasons), but I think he's more dynamic than you may be giving him credit for. I don't see him scoring TDs being a problem. He played in 39 games in his Georgia career and scored 14 TDs, so that's hardly "nothing!" 

I think the question with him will be if he can stay relatively healthy. If he does, he'll make an immediate impact in the league. 

i mean he could be. i don't know. 

i do think that the injury thing is overblown, though. that's not a concern i have. doesn't seem like anything he was dealing with would be long term issues. 

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I think that we owe it to ourselves to see what has. I can make an argument that he was just as much of a victim as the train wreck that was 2023 as Bryce. Bryce needs to hit Mingo not only when he is "open," but "NFL open."

I doubt that anyone would trade a 3rd for him, especially when this year (and 2025 according to the draft analyst) is deep at the position.

Agree that we may not be able to get a 3rd, but I’d jump on it if offered. Especially if we’ve already drafted Legette who I view as a similar player but better. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

If we draft Legette with one of our second rounds picks, I’d try to trade Mingo for a 3rd. 

Based on what he did last season (or didn't do last season), I don't think any team in the NFL would give you a 3rd for Mingo. I hate to say it, but you can probably be able to find a better WR in the 3rd round this year. If I were a GM, I wouldn't trade anything for him.

• Pie 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:42 AM, Tbe said:

Mingo was a mistake.

Hard to call Mingo a mistake with the sh—show we had last year. With three of our new coaches, including our HC, with a background in developing WRs I’m willing to give Mingo a mulligan in hopes that he’ll respond to better coaching. Maybe they can help TMJ aka Funchess 2.0 also but I’m less optimistic about him.

Edited by Prowler2k18

7 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Hard to call Mingo a mistake with the sh—show we had last year. With three of our new coaches, including our HC, with a background in developing WRs I’m willing to give Mingo a mulligan in hopes that he’ll respond to better coaching. Maybe they can help TMJ aka Funchess 2.0 also but I’m less optimistic about him.

There were better options at that draft position.

He might turn into something, but we should have taken one of the more pro ready guys.

• Beer 1