• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales on fixing Bryce's footwork

One thing I'm not sold on is the weapons for Bryce.  I'm not really convinced that spending so much money on the guard position is going to improve Bryce's ability to complete passes.

He definitely needs better protection, but adding Diontae Johnson and a rookie isn't going to be enough.  No receiving back.  No reliable tight end.  And Diontae Johnson and Adam Theilen?  Oof.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're just gonna have to hope he's better this year. I think you've completely deluded yourself on what you saw last year.

I was wrong about Bryce. I've said it before. I had some concerns about his arm strength but I never dreamed it would be as bad as it was. 

Bro, I am not excited about the Bryce Young we saw last season. If this season resembles that, then he'll be on the outs. Or on a very short leash by week 10. 

Due to supporting cast, I just don't think we can make definitive statements based on last season. Let's just be patient and see how it plays out. 

20 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm going to tell you the same thing I told the other guy. Nobody is doing this. Acknowledging the unfortunate realities of the full picture of Bryce Young's rookie season is not blaming him entirely for every bad thing that has transpired with the Carolina Panthers.

There's a world of middle ground between blaming him for literally everything and logging on here posting on his behalf like Craig Young. Maybe give that a try.

You should take your own advice. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

One thing I'm not sold on is the weapons for Bryce.  I'm not really convinced that spending so much money on the guard position is going to improve Bryce's ability to complete passes.

He definitely needs better protection, but adding Diontae Johnson and a rookie isn't going to be enough.  No receiving back.  No reliable tight end.  And Diontae Johnson and Adam Theilen?  Oof.

It's not a complete product yet.  Let's see the final roster first, but even with Johnson, a high pick rookie plus a better OL should be night and day from last year.  Still a bottom tier set, but I would expect a functional offense out of that group.  

4 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Bro, I am not excited about the Bryce Young we saw last season. If this season resembles that, then he'll be on the outs. Or on a very short leash by week 10. 

Due to supporting cast, I just don't think we can make definitive statements based on last season. Let's just be patient and see how it plays out. 

The supporting cast didn't impact the arm talent. Yes, the supporting cast sucked and even a guy with a cannon wouldn't have had a high level of consistent success. But what we saw was a guy with a weak NFL arm. Yeah, he's have one of the best arms on the Huddle but that's really not at all relevant.

5 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Consensus #1 overall pick needs all-star supporting cast to succeed. More news at 11.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It's not a complete product yet.  Let's see the final roster first, but even with Johnson, a high pick rookie plus a better OL should be night and day from last year.  Still a bottom tier set, but I would expect a functional offense out of that group.  

The roster will not complete for a couple more offseason.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

An oline that actually holds up instead of  getting blown 3 yards into the backfield upon snap of the ball would help any QB…especially one that’s sub 6’

Just now, Jon Snow said:

The roster will not complete for a couple more offseason.

I agree, but we still have cap space and a draft before this one is done.  Regardless is should look better than last year at a minimum.

10 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

TE is a wasteland. I like Tremble's potential with Canales but holy poo how many regime changes is Ian Thomas going to survive.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

this is something that should have been addressed last year and maybe would have if the coaching staff wasn't more involved in whatever pissing match they had going on with each other. 

listening to canales, it just seems like he has so much more knowledge about what can and needs to be done with any QB than we got from any of our "dream team coaching staff" from last year. 

Why are we teaching the #1 overall pick, who's had a QB coach since he was big enough to hold a football with one hand, the very basics of throwing?

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

As everyone else said....it's gonna take a few seasons to be legitimately competitive.  I don't think the average fan on this site gives enough credit to just how bad out O-line and WR's really were.  In 3 players we just upgraded 4 positions from grades of 50-60 to 80-85.  We probably brought the offense's average up from 60 to 70ish.  A homerun on a WR and/or TE in the draft and we go to 75.  We are gonna either see a massive improvement in Bryce's production or know for sure he is a bust and we move on.  

11 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Consensus #1 overall pick needs all-star supporting cast to succeed. More news at 11.

Thats the narrative for running it back with Bryce.  I don't see how his receiving options are really any better than last year.  Adam Thielen being a year older isn't going to help.

I think the Diontae Johnson trade makes sense by itself.  But in context of being our biggest move at a skill position, its pretty underwhelming.

My philosophy would be get weapons.  Because if Bryce doesn't improve, we will be picking another QB.  And that QB will need people who can get open and catch the ball.  Getting a receiving back or reliable tight end would help the QB position regardless of who is playing.