• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Morgan kicking arse and taking names

Jmac

17 minutes ago, CRA said:

Teams generally don’t chase after a 1 year OC who ran a bottom of the league offense….in a bad division. 

l mean, Tepper worked himself into a corner.  He hired what he could.  Hopefully they surprise. 

but this is just the past 4 offseason on repeat in terms of how large % is going to view what Carolina is doing.  Last year Fitterer created the best team since 2003.  Easily contend for the playoffs.  People were willing to spin McAdoo and Rhule as a good pairing the year prior.  We were going to save Sam Darnold and Teddy was a clown for daring to question  this staff.   

we are the worst team in professional sports.  Being a fan doesn’t mean I need to pretend each year they have figured it out and are now smart….no one else even looked at our HC/GM.  What would a reasonable guess be as to why only the worst team in all of pro sports going there be? 

I don’t need the Panther to be good.  Good or bad, they are my team and entertaining.  I mean if things look suspect that’s just how I feel and say it…if I was a Steeler fan and my coach/team found a way every year no matter what to win….well, I’d lean toward them be smarter than me and blindly optimistic.  Teams earn what they earn. 

Check out this article from the Athletic someone sent me. Looks like Callahan was all set to come here, Tennessee just beat us to the punch. image.thumb.png.1fb65c3d97ac19b384f117e679e58652.png

"when someone offers you one of these jobs, you take it."  There are only 32 HC jobs in the league.  I'm not sure we really were scraping at the bottom of the barrel for someone to come here.  Vrabel came out for an interview so he was at least interested as well. 

Edited by ForJimmy

3 hours ago, CRA said:

Teams generally don’t chase after a 1 year OC who ran a bottom of the league offense….in a bad division. 

l mean, Tepper worked himself into a corner.  He hired what he could.  Hopefully they surprise. 

but this is just the past 4 offseason on repeat in terms of how large % is going to view what Carolina is doing.  Last year Fitterer created the best team since 2003.  Easily contend for the playoffs.  People were willing to spin McAdoo and Rhule as a good pairing the year prior.  We were going to save Sam Darnold and Teddy was a clown for daring to question  this staff.   

we are the worst team in professional sports.  Being a fan doesn’t mean I need to pretend each year they have figured it out and are now smart….no one else even looked at our HC/GM.  What would a reasonable guess be as to why only the worst team in all of pro sports going there be? 

I don’t need the Panther to be good.  Good or bad, they are my team and entertaining.  I mean if things look suspect that’s just how I feel and say it…if I was a Steeler fan and my coach/team found a way every year no matter what to win….well, I’d lean toward them be smarter than me and blindly optimistic.  Teams earn what they earn. 

One thing to remember is a great coordinator sometimes makes a terrible head coach and vice versa.  The roles are very different.  I can only think of a handful of great head coaches who were known as specifically great coordinators beforehand.   Steichen comes to mind.  Part of the rumors have been thats why Ben Johnson keeps going back to coordinator.   Not sure he can handle/ wants to handle all the other stuff that being the head coach entails.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

im sure OP said this about shitterer too. don't mean poo until the season

Hey it's the offseason.  All we can talk about are offseason things.  When the season starts we can look at actual performance vs expectations and etc...

26 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Well vegas just set our win total at 4.5 down from 7.5 last year.  

They were waaaaay off last year apparently. 
I think we both have agreed if we get to 6 wins is a solid year so 4.5 might be around expectations honestly.

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

This is huge.  We haven't had a great draft in a long time...

We haven’t had even an OK draft in a while. We’ve had poo drafts after 2017. We’ve drafted a few decent guys like Burns, and Brown but even then we missed Herbert by one spot or got Horn instead of some serious studs who haven’t missed 60% of 3 years. The rest of those 6 drafts has been putrid especially when you consider how many picks we traded away for nothing, including many day 1 and day 2 picks.

We are unfortunately in must win mode with the next 2-3 drafts or we’ll be sub-.500 for an entire decade.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

One thing to remember is a great coordinator sometimes makes a terrible head coach and vice versa.  The roles are very different.  I can only think of a handful of great head coaches who were known as specifically great coordinators beforehand.   Steichen comes to mind.  Part of the rumors have been thats why Ben Johnson keeps going back to coordinator.   Not sure he can handle/ wants to handle all the other stuff that being the head coach entails.

That’s 100% true. 

I actually think he has some optimism HC traits.  

don’t love him wanting to be the playcaller/HC combo.  I mean he wasn’t some whiz kid OC.  Think that’s something very few coaches pull off well.   

• Pie 1

I don’t know what we were supposed to get with the history since Tepper. It is pretty clear that you’d be considered fortunate to survive a season if you are the new coach.

We were never getting an up and comer on the level that people hire for HC vacancies, if we waited to identify up and coming that were ready. 

I think he did about as well as he could have done. The reasons I accept Canales is he has no personnel control, no extra powers, but practically he espouses what we needed to hear on the QB and offense and he has actual experience with reclamations - and I do believe Russell Wilson at least straddled the reclamation line. Kind of preemptive reclamation. 

And Wilson is the closest comp to what Young is, out there. Rainbow deep balls, having to play with a limited arm. Young even on a good day falls well short of Russell Wilson across the board with the possible exception that Young isn’t a total egotistical blame deflector.  There is a lot that that matches up though. 

So there you are with that and I go back to what I saw early on which has the coach and GM with clearly defined borders, job description wise, and the are Aligned in purpose. I think they see things close enough to the same that we will have a HC and a GM actually working together well for the first time since Gettleman and Rivera in Gettleman’s first year. The other people that have been here never had what I am seeing in Morgan/Canales. It feels likle they are a team and pulling the same direction. With an idiot owner, a united HC/GM front has to be a huge asset. I mean, you are the coach with this owner whoi will bulldoze coaches, you really need a GM that will stand up with you. 

There is no philosophical gulf to bridge, there is no overlap of power to muddy things, there are two men who have a level of professionalism that they have demonstrated. I think you do have to give Morgan some slack because of his involvement in the brilliant decisions that led to a guy like Canales being the hire. The job was open to him. Took a lot of bad to get there. And I gave Morgan the slack because of his history as a player in Carolina and as a Miami Hurricane. That’s it. It meant something to me though and I think it means something to the larger extended Panther family. And that was needed.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1