• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seeking Insights on RB and TE

MHS831

I'm going to harp on this once again. The one glaring advantage to having the #33 pick, the first one on day 2 is that there is going to be a full night to develop clarity on who is available. And there are very good chances that we can take the very best player available for the entire rest of the draft.

I know we are needy at Edge, WR, CB and LB. And those are most likely going to be the most picked over positions for top end performers.

On the flip side, there is an extremely good chance that neither an RB or a Safety will be picked in the first round. Perhaps only one TE would be gone by the end of the first round as well.

Could we go RB or TE at 33 and find our man? Yeah, I think we really could. 

And I'm beginning to think we really should. Give me the best RB of the draft coming in at #33 and never let him forget all of those that passed on him. Get that rolling ball of butcher knives we need. Or get that sure handed, big TE who can work the seams in the defense and grind out the difficult yards.

There's opportunity where we sit, as long as we don't fritter (Fitterer) it away by trading down to take more, lesser, players.

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, rayzor said:

Lots of credit goes to Cam for a steller rookie year, but we were also built a hell of a lot better for a rookie QB. Said this in another thread... legendary WR, two absolute stud RBs who were also great receivers, and two stud TEs.

Cam would have been good, but he needed all those parts to have a great rookie season.

What did Bryce have? Hint: none of that.

also a really good OL.  Line basically just had a weakness RT given we started Bell.  But he had Gross, Wharton, Kalil.  Which really took care of your blindside and Kalil managing things in general up front for him. 

Cam was definitely put into a good spot. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

also a really good OL.  Line basically just had a weakness RT given we started Bell.  But he had Gross, Wharton, Kalil.  Which really took care of your blindside and Kalil managing things in general up front for him. 

Cam was definitely put into a good spot. 

Yeah Chris Scott started the season at RT. Not a world beater but not a turnstile either. Better at run blocking than pass pro, but physical either way. 

Don't forget Chudzinski at OC. That was the key to it all. And it is infinitely easier to play QB when your first read can get open at a high rate. When you're constantly progressing to your 3rd and 4th read, AND your o-line is bad... Well, good luck and pray you don't get injured. 

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

I wouldn’t put Sanders close to Kincaid or La Porta. I don’t think he’s worth a 2nd. It would be a big kick in the nuts if we go TE this year instead of last year. TE should have been last year instead of Mingo. This is why we’ve sucked so bad lately. We overdraft at positions that aren’t deep instead of targeting guys who fall because it’s a deep class. Kincaid and La Porta had great seasons for rookies. TEs don’t typically have great production as rookies, even the great ones.

lol...there were many alternatives we should have considered last draft in every rd.

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm going to harp on this once again. The one glaring advantage to having the #33 pick, the first one on day 2 is that there is going to be a full night to develop clarity on who is available. And there are very good chances that we can take the very best player available for the entire rest of the draft.

I know we are needy at Edge, WR, CB and LB. And those are most likely going to be the most picked over positions for top end performers.

On the flip side, there is an extremely good chance that neither an RB or a Safety will be picked in the first round. Perhaps only one TE would be gone by the end of the first round as well.

And I'm beginning to think we really should. Give me the best RB of the draft coming in at #33 and never let him forget all of those that passed on him. Get that rolling ball of butcher knives we need. Or get that sure handed, big TE who can work the seams in the defense and grind out the difficult yards.

There's opportunity where we sit, as long as we don't fritter (Fitterer) it away by trading down to take more, lesser, players.

I understand taking the best player, but the problem is that there is no consensus top RB in the draft, and it is even up for debate if one of the RBs is even worth a 2nd round pick at all. Taking the "top" player at a position doesn't always indicate "value." It could be that the position group is lacking. The 7th best receiver may actually be the best player available and well worth pick 33 over the 1st RB. Especially in this draft.

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, 45catfan said:

You've seen my mocks.  I'm taking a RB with the 4th and a TE in the 5th at the earliest, if at all.  I'm firmly in the Estime and Allen camp for RBs and Wiley and Holker camp for TEs.

I am really leaning toward Pearsall. I mentioned him in early March, but he is going higher than most mockers think.  MARK MY WORDS!!!  I am beginning to think we roll with what we have at TE--and that is sad--but maybe Tremble steps up.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

There will be an animated, highly argumentative thread that begins the moment pick 32 is made on Thursday night that will roll into Friday afternoon and I'm here for it.  My gut is preparing me for Legette.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

There will be an animated, highly argumentative thread that begins the moment pick 32 is made on Thursday night that will roll into Friday afternoon and I'm here for it.  My gut is preparing me for Legette.

My biggest concern about Legette is how be played against better competition. He seemed to put up great numbers against lower tier secondaries and was relatively quiet against better secondaries.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

My biggest concern about Legette is how be played against better competition. He seemed to put up great numbers against lower tier secondaries and was relatively quiet against better secondaries.

I have many concerns. Thing is..we met with him like 4-5 times so am just bracing and hoping my concerns are things he can quickly prove wrong, overcome and/or build up.

23 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I have many concerns. Thing is..we met with him like 4-5 times so am just bracing and hoping my concerns are things he can quickly prove wrong, overcome and/or build up.

Well at least we are better equipped to develop a young WR. Don’t get me wrong XL has talent and I’ll cheer for him if he is the pick, I just have other prospects I like more. Especially at 33…

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I think taking him in the second round is a bit too rich for me. At 65 is fair but higher is too much of a gamble for me. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

My personal take- RB market is in the most unstable era. For one its very very low in cost and the talent available each year is 8-14 players most years. Not to mention all the cuts. Right now Id have drop all RBs a couple rounds. Just would not draft one cause a proven bunch is going for 5mill+/- each FA period.

I am a huge TE fan, my goal would be to control the middle of the field. History shows rounds 3-5 is where to get one. I think the last 10 TE drafted in the first round only one has made a pro bowl and that was 30 year old David Njoku this past year. They are soooo undervalued, no other player has to block some 6'5 280 monster and on the next play run a deep post against some 4.2 speed water bug guy. I'd have two of the highest paid TEs and no one would know if its a pass or run. I don't like this years class, but always up to draft one......starting in the 3rd....  

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Played 2 top 10 pass Defenses 

6 for 68 

7 for 71 

I like Leggette but he was my 3rd round target.  I think he gets over drafted now and goes round 2.  I don’t want it to be us.  I think we are targeting him with 39.   And I’ll only like that if it’s a double dip and get a less raw kid at 33.  But I don’t think that’s their plan 

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Played 2 top 10 pass Defenses 

6 for 68 

7 for 71 

I like Leggette but he was my 3rd round target.  I think he gets over drafted now and goes round 2.  I don’t want it to be us.  I think we are targeting him with 39.   And I’ll only like that if it’s a double dip and get a less raw kid at 33.  

Check out his he played against A&M and Tennessee. Then he goes off on UNC (bad secondary), Miss St (bad secondary), JVST, and Vandy..