• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Xavier Legette WR - Pick 32, Round 1

6 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Im saying you cant say because he did it against a random college kid that he will do it against an NFL cb.  There is a huge difference most of the time.  WRs whos highlights in college are all contested catches hardly ever make it in the nfl.

Also I would prefer not to throw many 50/50 jump balls for 8 yards across the middle.   I would rather have a quick receiver on a timing route with seperation that has a chance for yac for 8 yards.

Thought this was good insight from Mike Uva, one of the writers of Gamecockcentral.com

The cliche “he’s a great guy” gets tossed around a lot during the draft. But when I say Xavier Legette is an even better person than he is a football player, that’s an understatement.

A lot of people will remember Legette’s incredible 2023 season, and I will too. But what I’ll always remember first was how he was ALWAYS one of the first Gamecocks to step up when it came to volunteering to give back to the community.

Anyone that knows X’s story knows that he’s a fighter and is as humble as they come because of it. The Panthers not only landed a premiere WR, but they also just drafted a person who will make that community proud off the field as well.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, strato said:

They all lack something. And beating college guys, no doubt even the best college players beast up with a year and an offseason in the NFL. You ain’t playing the college version of them again, that is gone. 

Heres what I'm going to say.  I hope everyone arguing that hes going to be great are right.  Im just saying as far as a prospect, his red flags and concerns are some of the worst ones that usually prevent players from becoming good in the NFL by the weights i put on them in my personal preferences.

You might be right. I haven’t done a ton of film watching the WRs. I stopped spending all the time on that stuff a while ago and only did it last year on QB because of that trade. 

I am probably guilty of fitting the guy to what I see at QB, and excluding guys with certain tools because I don’t think would be truly utilized.. 

Edited by strato

Here is something we can all agree on---there are people who come to the Huddle to bitch when the Panthers do not pick the player they wanted.  In defending their emotional (as opposed to logical or truthful) rant, they say something rather shallow or ignorant.  It is obvious that they have not considered all perspectives, but they then spend several hours defending what they said during their rant to avoid appearing to be wrong.  Newsflash:  Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.  You chose to take the negative path and you fight those who are more positive.   I can say this--Legette is statistically identical to Harrison Jr. right now. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

I know!  He'll make a mistake in practice and then he's an all-time bust, by Huddle Logic.

Or he'll make a ridiculous catch high pointing the ball, and all of a sudden there are Moss and Metcalf expectations. He's gonna look good in practice going against our DBs. Assuming Horn will be injured. 

14 minutes ago, mcsmoak said:

Thought this was good insight from Mike Uva, one of the writers of Gamecockcentral.com

The cliche “he’s a great guy” gets tossed around a lot during the draft. But when I say Xavier Legette is an even better person than he is a football player, that’s an understatement.

A lot of people will remember Legette’s incredible 2023 season, and I will too. But what I’ll always remember first was how he was ALWAYS one of the first Gamecocks to step up when it came to volunteering to give back to the community.

Anyone that knows X’s story knows that he’s a fighter and is as humble as they come because of it. The Panthers not only landed a premiere WR, but they also just drafted a person who will make that community proud off the field as well.

I don't like the pick but the guy is gonna be easy to root for.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This has been a huge issue for us. We've had guys flash some potential but it seems like everyone we draft is as good as they're ever gonna be on the day we draft them. From that point on they either plateau or regress.

Offensively. Hopefully that is changing as the NFL is changing their focus to scoring vs hard hits. 

Defensively, the Panthers have had a ton of guys reach their potential. Some haven't of course. But a lot have exceeded expectations. 

1 minute ago, Navy_football said:

Offensively. Hopefully that is changing as the NFL is changing their focus to scoring vs hard hits. 

Defensively, the Panthers have had a ton of guys reach their potential. Some haven't of course. But a lot have exceeded expectations. 

Who has done that in the Tepper years? That's all I'm talking about.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, strato said:

You might be right. I haven’t done a ton of film watching the WRs. I stopped spending all the time on that stuff a while ago and only did it last year on QB because of that trade. 

I am probably guilty of fitting the guy to what I see at QB, and excluding guys with certain tools because I don’t think would be truly utilized.. 

Strato, does everything have to come back to Bryce Young and how he limits the offense? So who was the big, speedy, jump ball WR last season for Bryce to throw to? Who was the guy that could go get the ball if you just threw it up for grabs? Who was the 50/50 receiver?