• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Xavier Legette WR - Pick 32, Round 1

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Dude on fnz who calls the gamecocks radio went into it hard how in the offseason XL went heavy on nutrition and weight lifting to get to where he is.  Thinks that is a big reason and also he was the only wr and he raved how good rattler was. 

I mean, Randy Moss wasn't going to do much pre-Rattler on that offense.  

2021 they started a graduate assistant, a WR, and some random dude at QB.  Not a single QB broke 1000 yards. 

In 2020, the QB threw for 1400 total yards

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

based on what we know from David Tepper and how he handles his football team, soccer team and building plans in the community? No one really in the NFL quits and changes things faster than David Tepper.   

If Bryce doesn't give them something to legitimately be excited about? They move on.  That's what Tepper has pretty much unquestionably proven.   Bryce gets this year.  He has to perform and prove he is worth something outside of this season. 

This is kind of my thought.  Tepper's ability to move on and write off a loss is actually a decent trait for him to have.  He wants to win above everything else and yes sometimes he gets in his own way but he tries to adapt at least.  

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Ladd is going to be primarily slot. He struggles with press because of his size.

• Modest play strength could create issues in beating press.
  • Limited production in 2023 due to back and ankle injuries.
  • Alarming number of deep ball-tracking drops in 2022.
  • Average acceleration driving through route stems.

He might not be sudden enough to beat press and will need to prove he has enough play strength to finish contested catches against tight man

They all have strengths and weaknesses. We need X or outside WRs though. AT is slot at this stage in his career, Mingo is best at slot, adding a 3rd slot while needing outside WRs wasn’t a route we were wanting to do. AD, XL, and Coleman were the WRs that we could have picked where we drafted. I personally preferred AD but XL has a lot to like.

XL isn’t exactly lightning quick. He’s more fast than quick. 

XL’s against press in college weren’t good. 

XL has A LOT of work to do if you think he’s going to be some X WR1 type dude. As it stands right now Diontae is our X

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 1

40 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

XL isn’t exactly lightning quick. He’s more fast than quick. 

XL’s against press in college weren’t good. 

XL has A LOT of work to do if you think he’s going to be some X WR1 type dude. As it stands right now Diontae is our X

XL's size and strength puts him in a better spot to beat press coverage.  Maybe he isn't there today but his physical playing style and his size project him to line up outside in the NFL.  I think he is still pretty raw, but DC sees him as a Evans type X WR who will win jump balls and can line up on the outside.  He was one of the best in college at winning downfield which is what you want from your X IMO. 

He consistently won downfield, posting an FBS-leading 97.7 PFF receiving grade on 10-plus yard throws

The good things about Diontae is he can pretty much play all 3 WR positions.  He is a solid weapon to have if he can keep his head straight.  

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He consistently won downfield, posting an FBS-leading 97.7 PFF receiving grade on 10-plus yard throws

that's what worries me.  short term at least.   

last year, my go to phrase was bad marriages.....I think that defines why everything went so poorly for Bryce.  I don't see Leggette as the asset to Bryce that he would be for say....even a really bad PJ Walker type QB. 

I hope Canales focuses on scheme up players and that Thielen gets rotated out of the slot at a heavier rate than last year.  I think given what the younger players can do with the ball in their hands....we need to help them get involved with some early down slot work at times. 

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

XL's size and strength puts him in a better spot to beat press coverage.  Maybe he isn't there today but his physical playing style and his size project him to line up outside in the NFL.  I think he is still pretty raw, but DC sees him as a Evans type X WR who will win jump balls and can line up on the outside.  He was one of the best in college at winning downfield which is what you want from your X IMO. 

The good things about Diontae is he can pretty much play all 3 WR positions.  He is a solid weapon to have if he can keep his head straight.  

Yep I think you laid out the role XL will ideally fit into long term. But I won’t be surprised if we start him out only outside in RZ and particular looks.

He’s not ready to be fixed at the line of scrimmage going up against press —that’s clearly Dionte’s role. 

He’ll likely be a combination of what we used Shenault and Mingo for in one dude (at least starting out)

Still think a speedy primary Z who can rotate into slot and shake off coverage is a big need. That’s pretty much Thielen’s role rotating in and out but he’s slowing down. He can get open but he’s not doing much once he catches it. Still think we need more shifty, short area quickness on this team that can quickly beat zone for Bryce. It’s missing.

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

that's what worries me.  short term at least.   

last year, my go to phrase was bad marriages.....I think that defines why everything went so poorly for Bryce.  I don't see Leggette as the asset to Bryce that he would be for say....even a really bad PJ Walker type QB. 

I hope Canales focuses on scheme up players and that Thielen gets rotated out of the slot at a heavier rate than last year.  I think given what the younger players can do with the ball in their hands....we need to help them get involved with some early down slot work at times. 

It’s only 10 plus yards. We will have DJ underneath getting open as well, plus Brooks can catch from the backfield. Young will need someone like XL and Sanders tracking deep passes and keeping the defense honest. I could argue their ability to adjust on deep passes could help Young’s deep pass issues. 
Regardless Young will either work out or he won’t. Meanwhile we are trying to build a more compete roster for him or his replacement if needed.

5 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Yep I think you laid out the role XL will ideally fit into long term. But I won’t be surprised if we start him out only outside in RZ and particular looks.

He’s not ready to be fixed at the line of scrimmage going up against press —that’s clearly Dionte’s role. 

He’ll likely be a combination of what we used Shenault and Mingo for in one dude (at least starting out)

Still think a speedy primary Z who can rotate into slot and shake off coverage is a big need. That’s pretty much Thielen’s role rotating in and out but he’s slowing down. He can get open but he’s not doing much once he catches it. Still think we need more shifty, short area quickness on this team that can quickly beat zone for Bryce. It’s missing.

Yeah I don't think he is ready day 1 for this role but I think we saw this as a bigger need than a Ladd slot WR type role.  

Honestly that Z role you are referring too seems to fit Diontae's skill set to me.  Great route runner, can shake coverage, and can rotate in and out of slot.  I know he will start as our X since he is our most polished best WR by a good margin, but if we do extend him and XL develops like we want you could slide DJ into that Z role, Mingo into the big slot, and XL to the X.  

This offense will be a working process (which I think is why Canales wants to be strong in the running game) for a while as it was awful last season plus we have a new system, plus some young players (XL, Sanders, Brooks) that will need some time.

56 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah I don't think he is ready day 1 for this role but I think we saw this as a bigger need than a Ladd slot WR type role.  

Honestly that Z role you are referring too seems to fit Diontae's skill set to me.  Great route runner, can shake coverage, and can rotate in and out of slot.  I know he will start as our X since he is our most polished best WR by a good margin, but if we do extend him and XL develops like we want you could slide DJ into that Z role, Mingo into the big slot, and XL to the X.  

This offense will be a working process (which I think is why Canales wants to be strong in the running game) for a while as it was awful last season plus we have a new system, plus some young players (XL, Sanders, Brooks) that will need some time.

Yeah it’s going to take another year to come together. The three guys this year are all great high-ceiling foundational pieces.  It’s a start. 

And if Diontae vibes well, maybe we give him a 2-3 year deal. 

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)

The Florida dude is going to a much better environment, no matter what he does I don’t think you can extrapolate that performance to here, with this QB. So who knows. 

Here, it will be a good test for the young OC, getting him involved in a helpful way. 

Edited by strato