• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Trevin Wallace LB - Pick 72, Round 3

1 hour ago, NAS said:

I would just be curious where they had him on the draft board with other linebackers.  It seemed to me like maybe they thought Junior Colson would still be there but he was snatched up by the Chargers  3 picks before that.  If Colson was supposed to be the guy then I think they messed up.  If Wallace was ahead of Colson on the board, then the trade down makes sense.  

I think there's a few things they take into consideration (not exclusively or in order):

1) what he brings today

2) what he can bring tomorrow

3) is he coachable

4) does he have that dawg in him

I do think that the greater focus and weight, though, needs to be and probably is on 2-4 of those. What they can bring day 1 is important, but you've got to have a longer view than that.

We want day 1 starters (which is why I think some are pissed), but what's more important is that they are long term big time contributors.

I think they took the long term view with Wallace,  but I also think that we will see flashes of why he was taken when he was.

Which is what we saw in a the other LBs we've taken and who have taken on dominant roles over the years.

Thomas Davis was a frustrating (for fans) project initially because they couldn't decide whether he was going to be a safety or linebacker. Beason and Kuechly both started off on the outside.

Point is, they didn't start off in the role that they were initially planned for ...and it was ok. They grew into those roles.

• Pie 6

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

I think there's a few things they take into consideration (not exclusively or in order):

1) what he brings today

3) is he coachable

I do think that the greater focus and weight, though, needs to be and probably is on 2-4 of those. What they can bring day 1 is important, but you've got to have a longer view than that.

We want day 1 starters (which is why I think some are pissed), but what's more important is that they are long term big time contributors.

I think they took the long term view with Wallace,  but I also think that we will see flashes of why he was taken when he was.

Which is what we saw in a the other LBs we've taken and who have taken on dominant roles over the years.

Thomas Davis was a frustrating (for fans) project initially because they couldn't decide whether he was going to be a safety or linebacker. Beason and Kuechly both started off on the outside.

Point is, they didn't start off in the role that they were initially planned for ...and it was ok. They grew into those roles.

This^^^

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

1) what he brings today

3) is he coachable

Point is, they didn't start off in the role that they were initially planned for ...and it was ok.

Another good example being Navorro Bowman his rookie year learning behind Takeo Spikes.  Once Fangio and Evero took over there, they coached him up and he became one of the best duos in the league with Willis.

Had a season behind Spikes and then put the league on notice.

Trevin has a year to learn behind Shaq and then get fierce. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, WestPanthers said:

I believe they target Colson initially but Charger picked him few picks ahead of us so they pulled the trigger for Wallace.

I definitely can see this 

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

There's your TE.

Yep, if you flip the 3th and 4th, it looks better...... Morgan just trying to get ahead, but not to go on a CP rant. 

I hate drafting RB and LB in the 2nd and 3rd, just like the herniay days. Im just a big positional value dude especially in the early rounds. Felt like Morgan drafting in his playing era.....

Just now, Basbear said:

Yep, if you flip the 3th and 4th, it looks better...... Morgan just trying to get ahead, but not to go on a CP rant. 

I hate drafting RB and LB in the 2nd and 3rd, just like the herniay days. Im just a big positional value dude especially in the early rounds. Felt like Morgan drafting in his playing era.....

Position value only matters to nerds. The only thing that truly matters is if they make the team better and help us win. 1st round or 7th round it doesn't matter. All of that goes away the moment they are drafted. I guarantee their teammates dgaf what round these rookies are drafted in. They just want ballers and hard workers on the team. So if they don't care why should I?

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Position value only matters to nerds. The only thing that truly matters is if they make the team better and help us win. 1st round or 7th round it doesn't matter. All of that goes away the moment they are drafted. I guarantee their teammates dgaf what round these rookies are drafted in. They just want ballers and hard workers on the team. So if they don't care why should I?

me come draft day then-

Anthony Edwards Comedy GIF

May have been shared, but this explains the DAWG in this LB and why Morgan picked him (From David Newton):

Round 3, No. 72: Trevin Wallace, ILB, Kentucky

My take: Morgan entered the draft looking for "dawg mentality'' and he got that in Wallace. "Dawg mentality means you don't care if you go hurt somebody,'' Wallace said. "You don't go in there soft. I want you to be scared of me.'' Wallace isn't necessarily a long-term replacement for 30-year-old Shaq Thompson, but his ability to cover the field side-to-side and with speed gives him the potential to do that. Give him a year or so behind Thompson and Josey Jewell and he could prove to be a Day 2 steal.

What we're hearing about Wallace: Morgan said Wallace's ceiling is "really high.'' He didn't take Wallace necessarily to replace Thompson but to learn from him. He should get plenty of playing time on special teams and compete for the third inside linebacker spot behind Thompson and Jewell.

19 hours ago, Tbe said:

Average Backup Or Special-Teamer

Strengths

Explosive athlete.

Rangy with good chase-down gallop to the sideline.

Burst and change of direction make him a toolsy rusher.

Hands are very sticky when he gets his chances to take the ball away.

Lateral agility to expand his short-area tackle success.

Weaknesses

Play recognition and football instincts are lacking.

Frequently fooled by misdirection in both run and pass games.

Lacks patience and leverage in his scrape, allowing cutback lanes to runners.

Pulled out of position by bait routes in his spot drops.

Pass rush could use more elusiveness when diving into A- or B-gaps.

Honestly, if these strengths and weaknesses are accurate, sounds like he has big upside and can do well with coaching. Sounds like he is somebody we don't want in coverage though 

Some notable stuff re: the idea that this was a "reach":

• The guys at Underdog (Norris and Winks) really like Trevin.  Had him ranked as a 3rd.
  • Brugler w/The Athletic had him as a 3rd rounder.  
  • PFN had him #73 overall.  One of the top LBs, and ahead of Junior Colson.  
  • The Steelers were reportedly eyeing him in the 3rd, and they honestly had a great draft.  They have good instincts.  

So I'm excited.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

On 4/27/2024 at 4:43 PM, rayzor said:

1) what he brings today

3) is he coachable

Davis was literally drafted to be a Spy for Vick twice a year - they developed him from there. 

• Pie 3