• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 Draft: Day 3 (Rounds 4-7)

22 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Well it's entirely the same scouting room, same guys who've done all the reports the last 3 years.  Only difference is Fitt and his chins aren't there.  

Thats what scares me, this team isn't exactly talented or one player away. 

The whole damn scouting staff should have been canned, their talent evaluations have not been inspiring lately. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

I didn't say they never do. I said they don't usually do that unless someone falls that they didn't expect to. The visits are based around guys they think will be available to them. 

My point exactly, we never stray from our tunnel vision and visits. Other teams do and that’s how they get guys like Tre Smith and maybe Kamara, Jones and all the Centers.

Visits can never come close to covering every pick and scenario. Typically most of them are focused on top 2 picks like all 4 QB visits last year and all the late first and early to mid second ranked guys this year. I don’t think our scouts are worth a damn based on the last 6 years and our horrific hit rate at all levels. I think we don’t do enough digging so we seem to be the worst team at taking advantage of value/deep positions. Look at this draft. Super deep draft at OT, CB and WR with a decent amount of Cs (versus not deep at G). Out of those deep positions we got XL in the 1st and Chau in the 5th. Sure doesn’t seem like we took advantage of anything.

The only draft pick where I feel like we got great value and got ahead of a run was Sanders and I think many of us in here had him on our short list for 101. The way the draft broke and the entire overnight and Sanders was an easy pick to make but we then missed Jones, Kamara and McLahlan (two TE sets could have been awesome for run and pass with two solid receiving threats at TE).

Oh well, we’ll see how it goes.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, MrBubba said:

Center outta Arkansas to rams

Damn, hate to hear the announcers talk about what a steal Limmer is and to not be surprised if he turns into a star. I agree, he’s one of the picks that we’ll regret. I think Kamara and Limmer would have been a heck of an ending to our draft or even Jones and Limmer as great OL depth that maybe turns into two solid starters in a year. I’m not confident that Chau and Crumedy have the same upside.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, WhoKnows said:

My point exactly, we never stray from our tunnel vision and visits. Other teams do and that’s how they get guys like Tre Smith and maybe Kamara, Jones and all the Centers.

Visits can never come close to covering every pick and scenario. Typically most of them are focused on top 2 picks like all 4 QB visits last year and all the late first and early to mid second ranked guys this year. I don’t think our scouts are worth a damn based on the last 6 years and our horrific hit rate at all levels. I think we don’t do enough digging so we seem to be the worst team at taking advantage of value/deep positions. Look at this draft. Super deep draft at OT, CB and WR with a decent amount of Cs (versus not deep at G). Out of those deep positions we got XL in the 1st and Chau in the 5th. Sure doesn’t seem like we took advantage of anything.

The only draft pick where I feel like we got great value and got ahead of a run was Sanders and I think many of us in here had him on our short list for 101. The way the draft broke and the entire overnight and Sanders was an easy pick to make but we then missed Jones, Kamara and McLahlan (two TE sets could have been awesome for run and pass with two solid receiving threats at TE).

Oh well, we’ll see how it goes.

Nerds. Your rankings are not in line with team rankings. They never will be. You have to forget that stuff in real life. Why teams rank players the way the do can only be explained by that team. I don't even bother looking at mocks and specfic player rankings. I will take a look at how the players that are nationally ranked to get some idea of the strengths at each position but beyond that I don't even try to predict where they will be drafted. I've watched too many drafts to think any of these predictions and rankings even matter.

• Pie 1