• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let Rod Walk

Give him one more season IMO. The past few seasons they’ve done NOTHING at the trade deadline and finally went out and got some mercenaries for the playoff run. That’s not paying off and these are some excruciating close losses. Next year they have to redo the defense but they’ll still have plenty of offensive firepower. Rod has one year to figure it out and then they have to go get a closer if he can’t do it. 

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah if we lose this series, barring a tremendous comeback, Rod shouldnt be brought back. If Dundon wants to bring him back, it should only be for 1 more year that gives Rod a chance to change. 

The complete 180 this team does come playoff time is frustrating to say the least. No matter who we add, the same goal scorers that have been with us for this playoff streak all go silent. The powerplay is non-existent, even after having the 2nd best this regular season. Our defense, which is one of the best in the league, suddenly keeps allowing many open chances. This is all on coaching.

If Rod wants to stay, he is going to have to let go of his assistants. Chaining himself to them is holding him back, but if thats how he wants it, then so be it.

Edited by KillerKat

Next year this team will take a step back. Probably several steps back. It’ll be a bridge year as we develop our ELC players for a year or two. Let Rod develop them and then reevaluate. I think switching up who he has on the bench with him would do wonders. 

So after a good nights sleep I had a chance to reflect on last night. I was mad, angry, pissed off.  The building was hype. Now, I’m just disappointed. Another year, another playoff rod collapse. It’s the same story every ever. Guentzel has been as advertised. He is giving one extra point or 2 a game in some form or fashion.  But that’s still not good enough. Kuzy was a bust, you can tell he is about done. Other than that, it’s the same team.  That one point Guenz gives us still isn’t enough. Our PP is soooo bad that we are now allowing other teams to score on it.  I’d never seen anything like it. They just don’t move.  PK was great last night. But, I’m just dejected. This team will never win a cup. It’s just not gonna happen with Rod.  We need new blood becasue this team is about lose half its players.  Last nights beat player was Svech. Give him credit. Dude was a machine. Has been all series.  

it’s been a fun ride this year boys.  I know we have a game left but we aren’t winning it. Hell, we prob get smoked while all these blue shirt Yankee assholes take over our building.  We blew it last year and reaaalllllly blew it this this year. I’m mean this is just pathetic. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Give him one more season IMO. The past few seasons they’ve done NOTHING at the trade deadline and finally went out and got some mercenaries for the playoff run. That’s not paying off and these are some excruciating close losses. Next year they have to redo the defense but they’ll still have plenty of offensive firepower. Rod has one year to figure it out and then they have to go get a closer if he can’t do it. 

This is just flat out not a roster construction issue. It's coaching, in particular playoff special teams coaching. Rod is out of excuses on that front. We'd be up 2-1 or 3-0 in this series if we could be just +1 or even on special teams in these games. We'd have beaten Florida and the Rags the year before if not for disastrous special teams. Plenty of teams with significantly less talent have done better on special teams in the playoffs than us since Rod took over. It's ultimately all on coaching.

1 hour ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

So after a good nights sleep I had a chance to reflect on last night. I was mad, angry, pissed off.  The building was hype. Now, I’m just disappointed. Another year, another playoff rod collapse. It’s the same story every ever. Guentzel has been as advertised. He is giving one extra point or 2 a game in some form or fashion.  But that’s still not good enough. Kuzy was a bust, you can tell he is about done. Other than that, it’s the same team.  That one point Guenz gives us still isn’t enough. Our PP is soooo bad that we are now allowing other teams to score on it.  I’d never seen anything like it. They just don’t move.  PK was great last night. But, I’m just dejected. This team will never win a cup. It’s just not gonna happen with Rod.  We need new blood becasue this team is about lose half its players.  Last nights beat player was Svech. Give him credit. Dude was a machine. Has been all series.  

it’s been a fun ride this year boys.  I know we have a game left but we aren’t winning it. Hell, we prob get smoked while all these blue shirt Yankee assholes take over our building.  We blew it last year and reaaalllllly blew it this this year. I’m mean this is just pathetic. 

Gonna watch Saturday but I expect the game to be similar to the final Panthers game. 
Even though we kept up with the Panthers you knew we were gonna lose. 
Unless by some miracle Rods stubborn butt makes some changes it will be the same song and dance. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Gonna watch Saturday but I expect the game to be similar to the final Panthers game. 
Even though we kept up with the Panthers you knew we were gonna lose. 
Unless by some miracle Rods stubborn butt makes some changes it will be the same song and dance. 

Yep. It’s all coaching. We have some true elite talent and it downs mean a thing in the playoffs.  It’s not like we lose 6-5 each game. We can’t score, the PP goes to poo, and goalie play lets up. All thought I think Koochie played very well. But it’s the same thing every year. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Yep. It’s all coaching. We have some true elite talent and it downs mean a thing in the playoffs.  It’s not like we lose 6-5 each game. We can’t score, the PP goes to poo, and goalie play lets up. All thought I think Koochie played very well. But it’s the same thing every year. 

I agree. The rook played very well. Didn’t let in any soft goals and made some damn impressive stops. 
His stubbornness reminds me a little of Rivera. He also refused to change and make adjustments. I still blame him the most for Super Bowl 50. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan

Posted (edited)

Let's get real. Without emotion, let's just be honest businessmen here. 

RBA is not going to accept a 1-year deal and I don't think Dundon or Waddell will disrespect him by offering such a thing.

It's a pretty well-known idea that RBA wants deals for all of his assistants tied to his contract. In reality, I'm not sure why any of his assistants would want that risking a potential HC gig elsewhere, but so be it.

Remember, the NHL is absolutely atrocious when it comes to retreading head coaches. "Let Rod walk" and get who, exactly? Craig Berube? Don Granato, Jay Woodcroft or Todd McLellan? I can honestly say you'd likely see Granato or McLellan- both of whom come from teams not that much different than Carolina in Buffalo and Los Angeles.

Personally, I'd be a little surprised if RBA left under any circumstance other than his own decision. NHL coaches don't get canned for losing in the playoffs, they get fired for not getting to the playoffs when someone (front office) thought they should.

I will say this- if RBA does leave before decisions are made with respect to Guentzel, Kuznetsov, Pesce, Skjei, and Necas; and the possible retirement decisions of Burns and Staal; it will signal a rebuild and it will also mean a few very good players are going to leave who many of us thought would be re-signed at all costs. 

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Let's get real. Without emotion, let's just be honest businessmen here. 

RBA is not going to accept a 1-year deal and I don't think Dundon or Waddell will disrespect him by offering such a thing.

It's a pretty well-known idea that RBA wants deals for all of his assistants tied to his contract. In reality, I'm not sure why any of his assistants would want that risking a potential HC gig elsewhere, but so be it.

Remember, the NHL is absolutely atrocious when it comes to retreading head coaches. "Let Rod walk" and get who, exactly? Craig Berube? Don Granato, Jay Woodcroft or Todd McLellan? I can honestly say you'd likely see Granato or McLellan- both of whom come from teams not that much different than Carolina in Buffalo and Los Angeles.

Personally, I'd be a little surprised if RBA left under any circumstance other than his own decision. NHL coaches don't get canned for losing in the playoffs, they get fired for not getting to the playoffs when someone (front office) thought they should.

It’s happened with the panthers, bruins, and rangers in the last few years and look at them. Couldn’t do poo in the playoffs and got new coaches.  Working out pretty well for them.  Rangers even this past two years. They made it to the ECF two years and last year got bounced in the first round so they fired they coach. Ole Lavy has them about to pull a double sweep…

Edited by Panthers Fan 69