• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers run ONE play on repeat

1 hour ago, frankw said:

People have been saying stuff like this for years. Here's one in relation to the 2018 draft when this topic was once again a source of debate.

spacer.png

That list is.....rough.

More recently Joe Burrow. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

More recently Joe Burrow. 

I don't remember hearing much if any at all doubts about Joe's arm talent.

Caleb Williams as much poo as people talk about him no one is worried about his arm.

And neither were sub 6 foot QB's to boot.

When you're an outlier amongst outliers physically and you refuse to participate at the combine you better walk on water as Bill Parcells said.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, frankw said:

I don't remember hearing much if any at all doubts about Joe's arm talent.

Caleb Williams as much poo as people talk about him no one is worried about his arm.

And neither were sub 6 foot QB's to boot.

When you're an outlier amongst outliers physically and you refuse to participate at the combine you better walk on water as Bill Parcells said.

Polar opposite seasons in 2018 and 2019. A level of scheme fit is necessary. Below-average arm strength and average release quickness. Tends to work into more condensed areas of the field. Steep drop in accuracy on intermediate throws outside the numbers. Requires top-notch timing for out-breaking throws as a pro. Saw nose of ball dive on some throws field-side. Spotty high/low combo throws against long boundary CBs when they play it low to high. Early issues handling Clemson's disguised blitz packages. Scheme created clearer reads and easier one-on-one throws. Took sacks he didn't need to

Burrow’s arm talent was actually his weakness. This is his draft profile weaknesses on NFL.com. He was smart not to throw with Herbert at the combine. Also this was about top QB picks not throwing at the combine not arm strength.  I’m just stating it’s becoming more common lately minus Kenny Pickett. I think you are just holding this against Bryce because you are frustrated at our situation and I understand that. 

46 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Polar opposite seasons in 2018 and 2019. A level of scheme fit is necessary. Below-average arm strength and average release quickness. Tends to work into more condensed areas of the field. Steep drop in accuracy on intermediate throws outside the numbers. Requires top-notch timing for out-breaking throws as a pro. Saw nose of ball dive on some throws field-side. Spotty high/low combo throws against long boundary CBs when they play it low to high. Early issues handling Clemson's disguised blitz packages. Scheme created clearer reads and easier one-on-one throws. Took sacks he didn't need to

Burrow’s arm talent was actually his weakness. This is his draft profile weaknesses on NFL.com. He was smart not to throw with Herbert at the combine. Also this was about top QB picks not throwing at the combine not arm strength.  I’m just stating it’s becoming more common lately minus Kenny Pickett. I think you are just holding this against Bryce because you are frustrated at our situation and I understand that. 

No one put Bryce on the Same level as Burrow. 

On 5/11/2024 at 7:10 PM, rayzor said:

BY didn't get Reich fired. Reich got himself fired by being way in over his head and being the head coach of a coaching staff who did nothing to help him out.

Of course they were all sold on the idea that BY was pro ready out of the gate by Fitt so they felt he didn't need to be developed (like every rookie should be).

They had no clear vision. And no solid plan in place, nothing worked, and the coaching staff was too busy playing hunger games to be coaching so they panicked and did the same thing over and over.

It was a complete clusterfug that we had a rookie QB who needed help thrown into the middle of.

Or that one play is all that Bryce was capable of? Bryce is an issue. 

To say that Frank fuging Reich, a longtime NFL back-up and coach, would not see a need to “develop” a Rookie QB is hilarious and wrong. 

now I wanted Steve Wilks to be retained, but this comment is pure garbage. 

On 5/11/2024 at 11:17 PM, Manna said:

After the Green Bay game he promptly went on to put up 

30/50 206 yards, 0 TD 1 INT

sacked 9 times in two games 

0 points, 0 wins. 

4 YPA, ugh, so bad. I’m not a Young fan. It feels like 2nd half 2018 with him when teams figured out that Cam absolutely had zero arm strength with his shoulder. His YPA all year was damning and yes I know the talent around him was bad but his arm strength was so bad. 

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

4 YPA, ugh, so bad. I’m not a Young fan. It feels like 2nd half 2018 with him when teams figured out that Cam absolutely had zero arm strength with his shoulder. His YPA all year was damning and yes I know the talent around him was bad but his arm strength was so bad. 

I definitely felt that way about it. The field gets compressed, the coverage cheats with impunity, all that fun stuff. Which we saw.

OL should be majorly better if healthy to start the year. Give LOT over there some help from a TE or RB if you have to. He was beat like a drum last year.

On 5/12/2024 at 7:00 AM, ok2h8pep said:

I can't watch any analysis that blames play calling, the O-line and our receivers without mentioning that BY can't throw the ball on time and on target with any zip.  BY is a bust, plain and simple.  Anyone watching him play at Alabama should have known this would be the outcome.

So you are suggesting that he throw to covered receivers to make sure the ball arrives on time?  But when you use data and logic like "Plain and simple" and "anyone...should have known."  The argument is proven and should evolve from opinion to theory to fact simply when those powerful and insightful phrases are utterered because the underlying assumption is you have more intelligence than the coaches and front office staff--so who are we to challenge your authority?

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

25.75 yards passing per quarter lol

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Or that one play is all that Bryce was capable of? Bryce is an issue. 

To say that Frank fuging Reich, a longtime NFL back-up and coach, would not see a need to “develop” a Rookie QB is hilarious and wrong. 

now I wanted Steve Wilks to be retained, but this comment is pure garbage. 

he might have eventually realized that bryce wasn't as much like a vet QB as he thought r was sold on and that he needed to be developed, but i don't think he had a real plan how to accomplish that or the ability to. i don't see him as having the desire to, either. 

8 minutes ago, rayzor said:

he might have eventually realized that bryce wasn't as much like a vet QB as he thought r was sold on and that he needed to be developed, but i don't think he had a real plan how to accomplish that or the ability to. i don't see him as having the desire to, either. 

maybe the plan was bad....because David Tepper moved up to draft a QB David Tepper wanted....and told his new HC he was going to have to play his new QB day 1.  I think so much of the #1 overall pick was PR/marketing for David Tepper.  Try to change the tide. Add some excitement.   I think Frank was given a plan that Frank didn't design or view as he would have come up with. 

I don't think Bryce fit Frank's brand of football.  And that was that.  Frank wasn't going to reinvent the wheel for Bryce because that isn't Frank.   It's not most NFL coaches.  They got to where they are doing what they do. 

• Pie 3

53 minutes ago, CRA said:

maybe the plan was bad....because David Tepper moved up to draft a QB David Tepper wanted....and told his new HC he was going to have to play his new QB day 1.  I think so much of the #1 overall pick was PR/marketing for David Tepper.  Try to change the tide. Add some excitement.   I think Frank was given a plan that Frank didn't design or view as he would have come up with. 

I don't think Bryce fit Frank's brand of football.  And that was that.  Frank wasn't going to reinvent the wheel for Bryce because that isn't Frank.   It's not most NFL coaches.  They got to where they are doing what they do. 

agreed. reich and fox were kind of similar in that i think their comfort zone with QBs were established vets. 

any rookie QB would have been outside that. i do think that he might have been more comfortable with stroud than young, but i also still think that we would have been stuck in a bad place. there was more than went wrong than with the QB.

nothing worked and QB issues were one of many symptoms of the problem that we found ourselves in with reich. the whole thing was too much for him. not only did he get a QB outside of his comfort zone, he got unfamiliar assistants that came from unfamiliar schemes. he had no prior relationship with most coaches he had added to his staff. 

again, that staff was tepper's idea...get the dream staff with a billion years of experience and those who don't have a poo ton of experience were coaches that were considered up and comers for HC jobs. 

reich is a mild-mannered passive likeable kind of guy. he wasn't the big dominant personality that would be needed to handle that staff.