• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Caleb Williams is struggling big time in OTAs

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, CRA said:

Wasn’t Bryce praised as some vet type super player during all the camp work?   

Cam Newton struggled…until real football had to be played.  Then smashed the record books out the gate.  Ron couldn’t find the work to gift him the job over Clausen.  Think a run vs the Bengals is what Ron used as the reasoning (I mean it was good).  But Cam struggled until that week 1 game. 

You never know….

I don't remember all that praise on Young in camp. In fact I remember a lot of "it would have been a sack if they were allowed to" remarks. That i do remember. But Cam struggled in preseason for sure. But as you said the offense was vanilla until game 1.

Edited by Jon Snow

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

In how a player plays or the entire team?  Because last year was pretty spot on. 

Cams preseason games were brutal if I remember correctly.  But without me looking, and I dont think there are stats for preseason games that far back, cam didnt run much in those games.  Come regular season his mobility opened things up

If the QB play is brutal, I’m assuming the offense didn’t look great. I’m just saying what happened with Cam isn’t the norm. 

Can't read anything into it this early.

Worth noting that there were several people here who declared CJ Stroud a bust after he looked shaky and threw a pick in his first preseason game.

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Can't read anything into it this early.

Worth noting that there were several people here who declared CJ Stroud a bust after he looked shaky and threw a pick in his first preseason game.

I think they have all disappeared like the S2 scores.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 3

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

In how a player plays or the entire team?  Because last year was pretty spot on. 

Cams preseason games were brutal if I remember correctly.  But without me looking, and I dont think there are stats for preseason games that far back, cam didnt run much in those games.  Come regular season his mobility opened things up

In 4 reason games Cam threw for 300 yards, 1 TD, 0 int and 43% completion percentage.  He played substantial snaps in 2 games and he sucked in one and did good in the other.

No cause for alarm yet.

But a lot of folks called me a hater for questioning how well Williams would translate to the NFL. He holds the ball forever and has way too much of a tendency to try to turn every play into a scramble drill. He doesn't play well within structure. 

If he can evolve he has all the tools to be great. But if he doesn't evolve he's going to be a massive bust. The USC version of Caleb Williams is a bust. You have to draft him with the plan of rebuilding him. Drafting him and immediately announcing him as your savior and unquestioned day one starter isn't off to a good start. You're just feeding the ego that's already concerning and not letting this kid know that there's a LOT of work lying ahead.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No cause for alarm yet.

But a lot of folks called me a hater for questioning how well Williams would translate to the NFL. He holds the ball forever and has way too much of a tendency to try to turn every play into a scramble drill. He doesn't play well within structure. 

If he can evolve he has all the tools to be great. But if he doesn't evolve he's going to be a massive bust. The USC version of Caleb Williams is a bust. You have to draft him with the plan of rebuilding him. Drafting him and immediately announcing him as your savior and unquestioned day one starter isn't off to a good start. You're just feeding the ego that's already concerning and not letting this kid know that there's a LOT of work lying ahead.

I've already heard more than once that it's possible, even probable, that he will break the Bears' passing yards record in his rookie year. Granted they've never had a 4,000 yard passer but still.

Edited by travisura

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No cause for alarm yet.

Yeah his ego and attitude feel like shades of Ryan Leaf 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

did he have any rushing stats?

Almost none.  They did not unleashed him until regular season.

1. Vs Giants 8/19 134yards 0/0 no rushing yards

2. Vs Dolphins 7/14 66yards 0/0 18 yards rushing on 4 attempts with no TD

3. Vs Bengals 6/19 75 yards 0/0 49 yards rushing on 4 attempts with 1 TD

4. Vs Steeler 3/5 25 yards 1/0 19 yards rushing on 1 attempt with no TDs

One thing to note… Smith and Olsen barely played during preseason.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, travisura said:

I've already heard more than once that it's possible, even probable, that he will break the Bears' passing yards record in his rookie year. Granted they've never had a 4,000 yard passer but still.

I get it. The dude oozes talent and they have some legit WR talent. But... I have concerns.

• Pie 1

48 minutes ago, CRA said:

Wasn’t Bryce praised as some vet type super player during all the camp work?   

Cam Newton struggled…until real football had to be played.  Then smashed the record books out the gate.  Ron couldn’t find the work to gift him the job over Clausen.  Think a run vs the Bengals is what Ron used as the reasoning (I mean it was good).  But Cam struggled until that week 1 game. 

You never know….

Pretty sure the Charlotte media is more propaganda than news--unlike the Chicago market, to your point.  Remember the Jerry "Pie Chart" presser?  Darrin Gantt asked tough questions and the Observer quickly demoted him to covering Winthrop sports.  I used to work for the Observer on weekends back in grad school, and I knew a few people who were still around--they confirmed that statement, although it was never stated that way.  The reporters here are very kind and optimistic to the Panthers and Hornets for that matter.