• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fox isn't going anywhere

Cat

Fox is a good coach, he needs an owner or GM who will ride his ass (in a gay way) and make him mix things up sometimes. if the organization is conservative from the top down, you're going to have things happen like keeping Jake 2 seasons passed his expiration date. a conservative coach is fine if you've got a progressive owner coaxing him along.

So I guess the whole reason he didn't start Moore over Jake is because Hurney couldn't sex him up enough?

Or maybe Jake could sex him up better.....:eek:

Either his job is safe or he is a completely unselfish person who isn't trying to cover his ass so he can save his job.

The facts are there to support a few scenarios.

Either he is putting the franchise before himself, he really believes he will be here next year or someone else is calling the shots on draft day and completely ignoring him. You don't draft a QB with your first pick and move up to draft a project WR in the 3rd if you don't plan on sticking around. I tend to believe he knows he will be coaching in Carolina for the next few years.

poo!! posting drunk sucks :( delete this

I'm sure there is more than a crowd guilty of this.. ;)

I have a feeling he will still be here.. like I posted in another thread- that is the feeling I get. there have been many knocks on Fox. Obviously, he is too conservative at times. However, over the years, I've seen him change a bit in certain aspects.. This is Fox's first gig as a HC, along with Hurney's first gig as GM.. as time goes by I see changes (however small) that show he's learning as he goes.. We had a horrible OLine for quite a few years and eventually made the necessary changes.. We started letting vets go (starting around the time Foster was released, along with a few others), players like Godfrey were allowed to start- vets didn't get the automatic nod (this goes for Martin and Munnerlyn.. Otah as well) and although mostly due to a possible lockout, have still seen a large group released now... we have seen an obvious attempt to address our WR woes.. and although this QB situation fell into our laps, it was still execution to bring in 2 QBs and Matt Moore to hopefully answer our "next franchise QB" question..

so knowing that Fox is stubborn, but working on addressing obvious issues, as much as I hate to deal with the frustration I have to say he is a solid coach.. this doesn't mean I'm not going to be cursing him for his conservative manner.. but of all the coaches out there, we could do a lot worse..

It might take him 8 - 12 years to figure this poo out.. but if/when he does, we can't deny he has elevated our expectation of our franchise.. every year they surprise us.. and in this game which requires execution and making poo happen... in the last 3 years, they have surprised me with how they've found ways to make us better..

I guess my point is: if we found a true franchise QB and a 2nd WR who is truly a threat (3rd even better) and the run game is as strong as it is.. do we really want to see Fox gone when years like '08 would have been unstoppable when those very important keys are plugged in?

our memory wouldn't be of Jake throwing the game.. it would be laughter thinking the Cardinals actually made it to the Superbowl.. just as true as if that season had started over and some crazy troll was throwing out such a ridiculous claim that the Cardinals were in the Superbowl or the Saints won the superbowl...

yes, there are issues like we don't seem to have winning seasons with hard schedules.. and so there will still be a knock on this FO if we have a great record and lose in the 1st game of the playoff.. but this FO does seem to be improving, even at 1 step forward, 2 steps back... if in 3 years from now we have a franchise QB getting into a groove and we are able to keep our running game in tact (whether replacing players or keeping them on the team) and a somewhat solid defense (which should improve now that players have 1 year under their belts in the new scheme..)

there are so many factors in the NFL... there isn't one cut and dry solution.. for every negative, there seems to be a positive.. for all positive and negatives, there is a fine balance between success and failure.. entirely too hard to predict the future in this type of business.. therefore, I can definitely see a consistent, however frustrating, John Fox and Co getting an extension..

edit: the mention of "he" can be substituted for "they" or "we".. whichever is appropriate to Fox and Hurney...

You don't draft a QB with your first pick and move up to draft a project WR in the 3rd if you don't plan on sticking around. I tend to believe he knows he will be coaching in Carolina for the next few years.

You don't keep giving away 1st round picks for 2nd round talent, (Or this year 2nd round picks for questionable 3rd round talent) unless you think you might not be here next year. :idea:

You don't keep giving away 1st round picks for 2nd round talent, (Or this year 2nd round picks for questionable 3rd round talent) unless you think you might not be here next year. :idea:

The one thing I always keep in mind is we've given up two 1st in the past three years and managed to get four players with first round grades in those drafts.

Now let's see if they pan out.

There's no one out there better to lead this team than Fox right now. The team respects him even if they don't always agree with his decisions.

I'm sorry, but a monkey from the local zoo would have benched Jake and got us to the playoffs last year. A monkey could have kept Jake in and gotten us more wins by not letting him throw. Fox has a great NFL resume.....not sure that his coaching job has really been that great here.

He's a good coach. Who said he would be fired after this season? A sports writer who doesn't follow the Panthers? Cool story. Imo Fox will be back even if we don't make the playoffs.

First off he doesn't have a contract after this season. The Panthers do not have to fire him for him to leave. And he has free reign to sign with any team to coach and the Panthers will not get any compensation.

Even if Fox does walk after this season (doubtful though) we will move our OC Jeff Davidson to Head Coach and he will run the team with a very young and highly talented team. Although Meeks left the Colts in search of Job Opportunity via Head Coach. So many different scenarios, anything can happen.

Archived