• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Those who want Cam Newton First overall...

Ricky Spanish

Drafting running QBs in the NFL is a dumb idea. QBs can't take the punishment on a weekly basis and be considered a franchise player for 10 years or more. McNabb's game evolved tremendously and IMO was still an overrated QB after he stopped running. He was a very good QB when he ran the ball but as soon as he tried to be a pocket QB (last 5 years) his play fell off.

Moral of the story is you have more chance of success when you draft Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, Joe Flacco, Peyton Manning etc...than when you try to draft the next Mike Vick. Vick is a once in a lifetime player and I'm not taking a chance on trying to draft the next Vick when I can get a guarantee for the next Matt Ryan.

need to think outside the colors.

cam is a much more mobile version of big ben.

only way i would take him is if luck wasn't available, but i would take him. probably try to trade down a little, though.

and no....i wouldn't have taken The Golden Calf of Bristol.

Drafting running QBs in the NFL is a dumb idea. QBs can't take the punishment on a weekly basis and be considered a franchise player for 10 years or more. McNabb's game evolved tremendously and IMO was still an overrated QB after he stopped running. He was a very good QB when he ran the ball but as soon as he tried to be a pocket QB (last 5 years) his play fell off.

Moral of the story is you have more chance of success when you draft Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, Joe Flacco, Peyton Manning etc...than when you try to draft the next Mike Vick. Vick is a once in a lifetime player and I'm not taking a chance on trying to draft the next Vick when I can get a guarantee for the next Matt Ryan.

Oh noez you so racist you hate black peoplez and black QBzzz......

Not sure that's fair, other than "lolz spread"

Newton has a bigger arm, MUCH better throwing motion, is more athletic, is a bigger guy and isn't nearly the project that The Golden Calf of Bristol was coming in. The Golden Calf of Bristol might be a little higher on the intangibles, whatever the fug that means. Newton seems to be able to rally a team just fine, though and is playing well through some pretty big-time adversity right now.

Comparing Newton to Vick doesn't work, they're not the same type of QB. Think Freeman in TB or Big Ben in Pit.

Biggest concern I have with Newton is if he is going to give a poo about football once he gets paid.

Cam Newton is not a Black The Golden Calf of Bristol- not close. The knock on The Golden Calf of Bristol was his throwing motion and lack of finesse plus he wasn't that fast or elusive.

newton is much more than a running quarterback. When early in the year teams let him run he did so and scored double digit touchdowns with his feet. When teams stacked the box to stop him running he threw the ball with ease. In the last 2 games against ranked teams, Alabama and South Carolina he threw for a total of 7 TDs in addition to running for 3 more. For the season he has throw for 28 TDs and run for 20 more. Compare that to Luck who has thrown the same 28 TDs and 4 rushing TDs. He has 3000 while Newton has 2600. Luck's passer rating is 166 while Newton's is 188.

The truth is that much of the prejudice against Newton is because he plays out of a spread and can run. But as a pure passer he is every bit as talented as Luck without the weird delivery.

As for character, football knowledge etc, that will be discussed ad nauseum over the next several months.

I wouldnt want newton at all with any pick. This douche will no doubt get bling bling rich and act like the typical asshole he has been throughout college. he will spend much time in godell's office meting about his next suspension and will go down as an espn special based on a wasted career. I hope we dont draft this future piece of poo.

I'm a fine young male

Archived