• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2010 Carolina Panthers Position Review: Defensive End

rayzor

we had a lot more invested in peppers at the time than we do brayton, in which we have nothing invested in at the moment. he's a free agent this year.

if we can find a more talented and younger prospect in FA, we need to be doing that. i can't believe that brayton is the best available option for us.

i would love to see us take a chance on gholston. dude's bust is more due to being miscast from the beginning. he's a 4-3 DE, or at least that was what he was in college. mangini tried turning him into a 3-4 OLB which was a mistake (one of many mangini made. remember the effect that turning to a 3-4 had on vilma?). then ryan turned him into a 3-4 DE. ryan said that gholston improved in that role, but he wasn't sure that he would so they brought in someone who was more experienced and better suited as a 3-4 DE.

he's never played in a 4-3 at the pro level and he's still young. he could excel there in a way that he's never been able to do with the jets. he might not live up to his being drafted 6th overall, but since we aren't the team that did it, that wouldn't matter.

With so many teams going 3-4 we may be able to pick someone that want break the bank

we had a lot more invested in peppers at the time than we do brayton, in which we have nothing invested in at the moment. he's a free agent this year.

if we can find a more talented and younger prospect in FA, we need to be doing that. i can't believe that brayton is the best available option for us.

i would love to see us take a chance on gholston. dude's bust is more due to being miscast from the beginning. he's a 4-3 DE, or at least that was what he was in college. mangini tried turning him into a 3-4 OLB which was a mistake (one of many mangini made. remember the effect that turning to a 3-4 had on vilma?). then ryan turned him into a 3-4 DE. ryan said that gholston improved in that role, but he wasn't sure that he would so they brought in someone who was more experienced and better suited as a 3-4 DE.

Wouldn't spend any money or picks on Ghoulston. At least brayton has shown he can do a good job, whereas gholston has shown nothing.

As for brayton he signed a 3 year contract in 2010. He is expected to make 3 million in 2011. So I could see an argument for letting him go although I think he will have be much better in McDermotts defense. On the other hand ghoulston has shown no evidence he can play in any defense in the NFL.

he's never played in a 4-3 at the pro level and he's still young. he could excel there in a way that he's never been able to do with the jets. he might not live up to his being drafted 6th overall, but since we aren't the team that did it, that wouldn't matter.

I suggested Brayton as a surprise cut last preseason and was laughed at...

Considering he was the starter most of the year, what did you expect? I still don't get how someone can bash Brayton for a poor 2010 season as if it was his fault alone and yet let others players off the hook because of a number of other factors like Fox was a lame duck, we cut all the veterans, etc. seems to me if other guys get a pass, then so should he.

seriously, that goes for Clausen (rookie), Moore (good starts prior), and hell, everyone else on the team..

Rivera said it himself... he was going to look at the tape, and also keep in mind the type of season that occurred last year.

that doesn't imply poo other than.. let's wait to form an official opinion..

Considering he was the starter most of the year, what did you expect? I still don't get how someone can bash Brayton for a poor 2010 season as if it was his fault alone and yet let others players off the hook because of a number of other factors like Fox was a lame duck, we cut all the veterans, etc. seems to me if other guys get a pass, then so should he.

That's fair, but I was implying more that the quality of the guys behind him would allow the team to cut him. That said, given the amount of time the D was on the field, 22 tackles is pretty weak for a 4-3 starting defensive end regardless of the coaching situation.

We gave up a 1st for Brown and by the numbers that were posted in the OP it is time to let him START and earn that trade.

For what it's worth, we gave up a 1st for Brown and Goodson. I think Goodson's value in special teams and potential make the trade a lot less bad than most people think. I think Hardy will be the other starter but Brown will sub in and they'll have a good little 3 man rotation going, keeping all 3 less worn down and more productive.

Wouldn't spend any money or picks on Ghoulston. At least brayton has shown he can do a good job, whereas gholston has shown nothing.

As for brayton he signed a 3 year contract in 2010. He is expected to make 3 million in 2011. So I could see an argument for letting him go although I think he will have be much better in McDermotts defense. On the other hand ghoulston has shown no evidence he can play in any defense in the NFL.

hadn't seen the contract details. not happy about that contract. oh well. not my money. he's big enough that he could handle DE in a 3-4 if needed and he has experience doing it (though he didn't do that well with it in oakland). i don't like him starting regardless of the money he's getting. hopefully the only way he gets the job is by legitimately beating out hardy and brown and not because he had seniority like with fox.

re: gholston...low risk/high reward guy. just see what he can do in a 4-3 and not playing out of position. let him compete for a job in TC.

Archived