• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The NFL needs to change the kickoff rule back

Car123

It's not that big of a deal. If anything it gives the defense some competitive advantage back. Most of the recent rule changes have favored the offense. Plus teams will adapt, they always do.

For instance you may see teams kick higher in an attempt to pin teams inside the 20. Onside kicks become a more attractive gamble. And I would wager that when returners do take it out they will get similar results as last season thanks to the coverage team having less room to get up to speed.

I think that it will be changed. Fans don't enjoy watching touchbacks. Bill Simmons made fun of the rule so hard on Pardon the Interruption today... He was saying he's going to start calling touchbacks, dunks, because it's the new exciting play.

lol. Bill Simmons and his sarcasm.

I honestly don't mind the rule change. I've always felt kickoffs were kinda stupid anyway, and they ARE a high risk play for injuries. I wouldn't mind if they did just give them the ball on the 20 rather than kicking off. Let punters punt, and kickers kick field goals.

I know punting is just as risky, but there's not really as easy a way out of punting...unless you take out the "give the ball over on 4th down" aspect of football. And frankly, if they did that it might make the game more interesting anyway. Always have to go for it on 4th down...but that'd be a bit more drastic of a change to the game...probably won't see that one.

Still, what's your point? Football should be football. They are still getting paid.

Sorry, I should use quotes more often. That wasn't directed towards you.

On the topic, though. I sort of see the NFL's fear of another Kevin Everett type injury reoccurring. Guess they're trying to lower the bar on how barbaric this game can be.

It's the fact that it takes like 20-30% of the game's competitive edge out of it that pisses me off the most. Just think, how unbearable would it be to watch our games last year if this rule was implemented then?

Archived